Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstein Struts/ Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
ggrjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Struts/ Coilovers

Is any one running the Bilstein PSS, or PSS9 coil over kits? I have always had good luck with Bilstein shocks and struts, on several cars, trucks and SUVs. Both setups look pretty promising, but would like som opinions. Ride comfort/ handling, drop adjustability etc. I am also considering just struts with some one elses springs.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=bilstein
Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in short, they are absolutely fantastic units for a street driven car, even for a car that sees an HPDE here and there. There aren't too many people running them on the forums as Bilstein was predictably late to market vs other brands, and only a few of us carry them for the Z, but I've spent time with them and in the under $2000 streetable coilover list, these are on my short short list
Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Sleepy79

I have them, I didn't get much seat time with them, but I did get to track them. 4hrs street/hwy (2hrs each way) to the track and about 7hrs at the track I was very happy with them. Not bouncy, absorbed the bumps very well. Similar to stock but more behaved. Bridge expansion joints were the only thing noticably harsh. All shocks were set to 5 and never touched them afterward.
I did have the car corner balanced and aligned, one thing I regret is buying the front and rear camber kits afterwards. Now I have to pay again to rebalance and realign.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
ggrjr

High to low how much drop can I expect on a G35 Sedan, and will Ineed camber adjustments?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Sleepy79

If I am not mistaken the pss9 is labeled only for the 350z (too lazy to look it up) If that is the case then you might get about a 1" all around just by installing these at their highest setting (apparently z springs give a sedan a 1" drop). This is all speculation. There is plenty adjustment in the front, the rear is about 3" of threaded collar.
I believe the rule of thumb is if you start going below 1.25" it is best to get some adjustable a-arms, just to save your front tire wear.
If you are serious about this you might want to call up Bilstein and ask them if these can be used on a sedan, the valve settings might not be ideal. Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:36 AM
ggrjr

Thanks for everyones input. I will definitely be talking to Bilstein's tech people before I order either couil over. I just wanted to get a general opinion before I take that step. I will follow up and let everyone know what they have to say.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrjr
High to low how much drop can I expect on a G35 Sedan, and will Ineed camber adjustments?
When I spoke with Bilstein about the kits for the Z they mentioned that you could adjust them to get the Z to oem ride height. As mentioned, that would mean a 1" drop on a sedan. A 1" drop on a sedan really won't require alignment parts, you should still be within the coupes slightly more aggressive specs.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
When I spoke with Bilstein about the kits for the Z they mentioned that you could adjust them to get the Z to oem ride height. As mentioned, that would mean a 1" drop on a sedan. A 1" drop on a sedan really won't require alignment parts, you should still be within the coupes slightly more aggressive specs.
Doesn't the coupe have a 1/2in drop over the sedan? Or at least that how it was in the previous gen. So won't this make it lower and possible more agressive than the coupe in stock form?

So if I have 03 Z springs on my sedan and install these shocks would I still need negative cambers?