Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

possible to have springs with my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Zgrabin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to have springs with my setup?

well i was wondering if it were possible to have lowering springs of a 1/1.2" drop for my 03 touring 350z..i have stock suspension..

i have 19" ro_ja formula 7s with +10 offsets(+20mm spacers) in the rear on toyo 285/35s(maybe 285/30s i forget)

245/35 w/ BFG KDWs in front +20 offset

i havent rolled my rear fenders yet(not good) but im in japan right now and will roll them when im back..

is this possible to do?like slapping on some gf210s nf210s or any other lowering springs??

if it is would there be problems?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

personally i wouldnt just get springs with that set-up. id get full coils or springs/shocks...but yes you CAN lower your ride with the gf210s

i would see problems doing so though in terms of you wearing out your stock shocks
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Zgrabin

ya i was reading about peoples post on similar threads..seems the stock shocks would wear out pretty fast..

bar with me here since im a complete noob, but would a tein basic coilover kit along with a camber kit be fine as far as not having to worry about the stock shocks and springs??

i want an aggressive stance..i cant remember whos Z it was but he had a silverstone 07-08 Z with VS-XX burning black and had a kick *** stance..then he switched to gts's but i think he had like a -4 camber stance
Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

the basic tein kit with a camber kit will do just fine...but the ride is gonna suck...not very good for daily driving
Old 01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Zgrabin

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
the basic tein kit with a camber kit will do just fine...but the ride is gonna suck...not very good for daily driving
really??whys that? to stiff or bouncy??

what would be a good stance and suspension upgrade for DD?

EDIT: would tein s-techs be good with stock shocks since theyre only a .6 drop??
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

s-techs will be fine...they are too bouncy...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Zgrabin

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
s-techs will be fine...they are too bouncy...
so the s techs are too bouncy?

what would be the upgrade/cons from the oem springs??

what are the pros and cons of say running a tein basic coilover kit and an spc camber kit for daily driving??

i dont have sways yet,but i was looking at cusco sways as far as another suspension upgrade
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

search my friend...all the info is out there...

cusco < hotchkis btw

if your gonna upgrade suspension get coils...nuff said
Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Zgrabin

alrite ya gotta quit bein lazy haha...ya i meant hotchkis(the red bars haha)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zgrabin
well i was wondering if it were possible to have lowering springs of a 1/1.2" drop for my 03 touring 350z..i have stock suspension..

i have 19" ro_ja formula 7s with +10 offsets(+20mm spacers) in the rear on toyo 285/35s(maybe 285/30s i forget)

245/35 w/ BFG KDWs in front +20 offset

i havent rolled my rear fenders yet(not good) but im in japan right now and will roll them when im back..

is this possible to do?like slapping on some gf210s nf210s or any other lowering springs??

if it is would there be problems?
1. Do not drop 1.5" with springs, not unless you have shocks with shortened cases and piston rod lengths, which are $425 each (Truechoice PhaseIV)

2. Your question really is a tire/wheel/offset clearance issue.

3. Your oem shocks are the root cause of bounce issues, most lowering springs on the market were R&D around them, some or more successfull then others in that matter. Your best bet would be either Eibach prokit or accept less drop with Hotchkis springs. IMO whatever you end up doing I'd kick the oem shocks to the curb. If you have to have a 1.5" drop to be happy, consider coilover,...quality coilovers that is.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
InZomniac

I would need to measure the car to be certain of clearance issues but off the top of my head... You cannot lower the car more than the S techs without using a camber kit to get into factory spec. Be close at an inch but not spot on. Stechs are .7F/.6R BTW Any thing lower and I would replace the struts too. I know of a few Zs with lower springs and the struts are gone at about 20k miles. The main thing to worry about is the clearance in the back though. When you bring the car in I will take a look at it and see what we can do.

Peace!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before dropping to low. I'd also consider what camber you will run most of the time, if you care about that? Not to much more of an issue, but will play some part when lowering so much and pending tire size.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InZomniac
I would need to measure the car to be certain of clearance issues but off the top of my head... You cannot lower the car more than the S techs without using a camber kit to get into factory spec. Be close at an inch but not spot on. Stechs are .7F/.6R BTW Any thing lower and I would replace the struts too. I know of a few Zs with lower springs and the struts are gone at about 20k miles. The main thing to worry about is the clearance in the back though. When you bring the car in I will take a look at it and see what we can do.

Peace!
with his wheel specs/offsets, he already is WAY out of alignment spec, even without lowering the car. Lowering will make it significantly worse. Rear camber kit (SPC) will be 100% mandatory on this car unless tire wear/handling is not a concern
Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Zgrabin

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
with his wheel specs/offsets, he already is WAY out of alignment spec, even without lowering the car. Lowering will make it significantly worse. Rear camber kit (SPC) will be 100% mandatory on this car unless tire wear/handling is not a concern
i have 20mm spacers on the rear..but i can take them off..since itd seem to be the safer way..which would be back to a +30 offset..

what should be my first steps as far as achieving a good quality daily driven suspension set up??
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I cant say how KDW ride, as I've never owned a set. But there are several very good riding springs out there from a few brands - however, if you want 1-1.5 inch drop and a car that rides well with good amount of suspension travel, your only option is coilovers. Springs will not cut it.

Which coilovers you go with will of course vary by, among many things, your budget
Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Zgrabin

as of right now with my set up..am i safe driving right now?if not what are my cons?

i think im gonna go with a tein basic coilover kit..instead of buying springs right now and other stuff and just wait till i have room for the coilovers..

i think my first step will be hotchkis sways
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Tein Basics are an "ok" setup - however they give 0 provision for dampening adjustment, and are only 1 way height adjustable). Not the right setup if max lowering is your goal. Essentially if all you care about is how the car looks, they will work fine. The ride is harder than stock but its not obnoxious. Their obvious selling point is their price.

I'd invest the money you were going to put into sways, and get a proper set of coilovers - one that will let you dial in your desired dampening, as well as adjust height to suit your needs while mainting good suspension travel. I know it sounds cliche, but spend some time studying the threads from those of out there that have used a wide range of stuff (search, and you'll find alot of really good info, I promise!)...you'll get a good feel for what the knowledeable people recommend (more than just a "I have xyz brand and love em")