Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

JIC FLT-A2 Coilovers: Did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 PM
CliffJumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC FLT-A2 Coilovers: Did I make a mistake?

I bought a set of used JIC FLT-A2 coilovers for my 2004 G35 coupe from a member/store on this board. Even though these coilovers had been on his track-only 350Z, he included a set of lavendar-colored springs that he said were the G35 springs for the coilover kit.

On the recommendation of JIC themselves, I got went to F1 Motorsports to have the coilovers installed. As I watched them work, they were obviously in a hurry, took four tries to get the right height, and never once adjusted the damping of the coilovers.

The problem is that the car now, IMHO, rides like crap, but I don't know if:
1) it was installed incorrectly
2) the damping needs to be seriously adjusted
3) I really made a mistake and bought coilovers that are way too stiff for me.

So, by "rides like crap", I mean:
1) When I slowly go over a speed bump, the front drops down so fast that my transmission or something connected to it hit the speed bump with a good amount of force.

2) On many sections of highway, the steering wheel shakes

3) On freeway sections that have frequent pavement breaks, my car shakes to the point of making me sick. I seriously still feel nauseous and might throw up before I'm done w/ this post.

I've driven several other types of cars w/ other types of coilover systems, and I've never had anything but great reviews for those cars, but none of them were G35s. This just doesn't seem right, but I don't know if I just made a stupid mistake by buying coilovers that are more track-oriented than street oriented. OR, do I just need to stiffen the damping level on the front coilovers?

Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
warmmilk

don't quote me on this as i'm not a JIC expert, but i remember reading that the JIC shocks need to be rebuilt every 2 years. given that ur's were previously on a track only car, they may be passed due for a rebuild. my 2 cents, something for u to look into
Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, sorry to say.

What I provide here isn't just numbers or recommending to get or avoid this part or that part to meet your needs. But, I've been here since mid 2003 and I've sponged up alot of information from posts dating all the way back to 2003, sometimes I recall posts done that for whatever reason cannot be found in the data base. Because of that, I would never buy Jic coilovers based on valving, reliablity, warranty coverage, and a lack of customer service. One of the things mentioned in owner comments with the Jics, is discussion's about ride harshness.

Here's a post I did a few months ago that is on topic. Show's you Jic owner comments.

Originally Posted by Devil Z
I have JIC-Magic FLT-A2's and they are really comfortable even with the 10kg/12kg spring rates.

Well,..........I've been keeping track of owner comments since 2003 and you would be the first and only person that has discribed the Jic FLT-A2 on a 350Z as being "really comfortable", let alone post up in a thread there the OP want's comfort. I didn't write any of the following.

Originally Posted by azrael
for those people out there with JIC FLT-A2 coilovers on their Z --

how is the ride? Stiffness isn't a problem, but a harsh ride would probably bother me. The stock suspension's tendency to "bounce" is somewhat harsh. I'm hoping to improve the handling and fix the bounce simultaneously with a coilover install.
Originally Posted by John
If you get the linear setup, the car will still have a pretty jarring ride. The rebound is adjustable on the ground...
Originally Posted by azrael
even on full soft?

hm, that's somewhat disappointing. I might have to talk to a few other people with FLT-A2s on other cars just to compare experiences before I make a decision.

I have mine on full soft all the time (except when at the track), and on DC roads, it's pretty friggin harsh. Once I get out of the urban areas, the roads are smooth enough where I don't notice the stiffness. What are the roads like in your area? Are there lots of potholes, buckles, et cetera?
JICs are trash, with high spring rates to mask poor valving. Lots of rattles, awful US customer support, overheating, and quite vulnerable to leaking. They've performed mediocre on track the past two years... and their ride on the street is taxing...
Originally Posted by daveh
Agree with everything John said about the JIC's (but tell us how you really feel ). I can vouch for the unitech/truechoice setup. You can't go wrong with a kit developed and tuned by a winning grand-am cup team. The spring rates and shock valving were derived from their race car!
I just tracked it yesterday at thunderhill and knocked about 4 seconds off my time. Their use of mild spring rates really soaks up the bumps which ultimately allows you to go faster. The shock adjustments really make a difference too. You can feel the difference of just one click. I'll write a full review when I have the time.
Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
I agree DMAN!!! jic aint that great. Zeals on the other hand is awesome...
=)

I loved the zeals on my car. on the street it was 2 front and 3 rear and to this day i regret selling them because stock is worse than the zeals were

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah the JIC's seem to have the most sacrifices for daily driven, and I've read about their poor customer service. If they do overheat though, I'll skip them for sure. I'd think with the track oriented reputation they have, if they overheat then they're not very well engineered since their goal is all out performance.

The HKS's spring weights seem more neutral while the Zeal's is stiffer in front and looser in back. How would those compare?

I definetly want something track oriented/heavy duty, and well balanced. The HKS is less money, but I'm getting the impression they're more street oriented than track.

Originally Posted by DmanG281
After about a year and a half my JICs pretty much started to fall apart. The finish on the springs started stripping off and the collars started rusting. Not to mention the damping on them was horrible little to no difference between full stiff and full soft. It didn't really matter anyways because the damper adjustment froze on them anyway. I will never ever buy another JIC suspension product ever.
Originally Posted by all star gene
You won't regret it if you get those, I had the JIC FLT-A2's for about 500 miles and I hated every mile. They ride way too stiff for everyday but those HKS RS's are close to a stock ride. Check the vendor classifieds for Injected Performance, I got mine from there for $1400 shipped.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I have the Zero 2 on mine, and we have done a few of them so far - definately a nice setup overall, and much less choppy on the street than the JIC's were.

I have driven 2 Z's so far with Zero 2's on the track, but not my own car yet.

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
The JICs HURT...

Unless you're into a VERY rough ride, do not get them...

However, the first corner or track day you attend... you'll quickly remember why you put up with that roughness!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

i have jic's installed on my car, it is a bit of a rough ride and the car sits low, but my z is not my daily driver
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Gsedan35's quotes are pretty much spot on when it comes to JIC's. i have a set and they have a very harsh ride! but that's to be expected with 10k front and 12k rear. (i have a G by the way, but the springs that i got are for the Z. however, you could change the springs, front and rear to another rate if you want).

i just got them, so i can't say whether or not they overheat, but if they have to be rebuilt every two years i wouldn't really "notice" as the car will see lots more track time and a lot less street time, so it'll be a good idea to get them rebuilt in that time span. i definitely didn't buy them to be comfortable, but their main office is about 40 minutes from me so if i needed something rebuilt, i would just go there to drop off/pick-up.

as far as your three "problems," which spring rates did you get? the 12k will drop quickly and be pretty jarring over a speedbump, but the 10k isn't that bad. maybe they installed the 12k's up front and the 10's in the back...

as far as your steering wheel shaking, did you have the car aligned? maybe there's a big difference in ride height (between right and left front)?

and lastly, the shaking that you feel on freeway breaks...unfortunately, that's "normal."
Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nick! and G35sedan are absolutely spot on

comfortable and JIC do not peacefully co-exist...they are absolutely not comfortable.

as far as "needs to be rebuilt every 2 years", I can't say for sure. Like anything else, it depends on the conditions they are subject to.

As far as your specific problems, some suggestions

1. find out exactly what spring rate you have up front. I think JIC stampes them with a white marking that will say the rate - don't quote me on this though. I'm assuming the car was fine over speed bumps, etc before the coilovers, so we can rule out tires/pressure. Spend some time playing with valving. Also, take note of the preload on the front springs. This will tell you if they were installed properly or not. You should have a minimal amount of preload on your front springs.

2. This could very well be the result of poor camber/toe. Again, I'm assuming the car didn't exhibit this before you installed the coilovers. Did you get the car aligned after you installed the coilovers? Post the results if you do. If not, get yourself some adjustable front a arms and an SPC rear kit, have them installed and get a real alignment done...this should resolve that issue at least

3. Not sure what you can do about this, as you are now the owner of one of the harshest coilovers out there. But, all is not lost. Assuming you got a good deal, you can buy lower weight springs and have JIC revalve them to suit.