Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

brake problem, help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 AM
orangeflash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation brake problem, help?

I just installed some new drilled rotors about a couple days ago (no problems for those couple days). I am using the same used pads that were with my old rotors. They were still in great shape and had barely any wear (no uneven wear). Now when I brake around 10-15 mph I get a brake jutter/pulse/scrape sound about 3 consecutive times. I can feel it in the brake pedal too! It sounds like it is comming from one of the front brakes/rotors. However, when I brake over speeds of 15 mph everything sounds normal.
I just got done researching and learned about the bed-in process and I did not perfom this; so I dont know if this is the reason why I am getting this noise/feel. Are there any experts out there that can help me with this? Any advise/tips. Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Q45tech

Drilled and slotted rotors are always noiser than plain rotors.
Rotors must be indexed to make sure they are within oem runout specs fully explained in FSM.
Usually takes 250 miles or an excellant burnishing proceedure to quiet things down somewhat.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeflash
I just got done researching and learned about the bed-in process and I did not perfom this; so I dont know if this is the reason why I am getting this noise/feel. Are there any experts out there that can help me with this? Any advise/tips. Thanks
Get out there and bed them. This would be my guess....
Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There has to be a balance---Never put on new rotors without new pads. The two have got to work with one another as a team.

At the least..... If the old pads have virtually no wear, lay a sheet of sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface (like a piece of glass) and lap them using a figure 8 pattern, then bed them
Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 AM
orangeflash

update:

You can only hear the noise when your inside the car. It sounds like it is happening through/underneath the brake pedal.
I had my dad drive it while I listened to him brake and could not hear a sound outside.
I jacked up the front of the car and the left front brake/rotor make a contact light scrape(normal im guessing) when the wheel is spinned.
However, the right front brake/rotor has a light scrape and then you hear nothing when the wheel is spinned. It clearly has contact and then no contact.
Is it possible that this little bit of contact/no contact is causing this problem? Do you guys think the Abs is broken or activating. I don't see an abs light though.
I still didnt try the bed in proccess becuase I want to try a few things before I do that. I think I'm gonna try and bleed the brakes... any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 AM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
There has to be a balance---Never put on new rotors without new pads. The two have got to work with one another as a team.

At the least..... If the old pads have virtually no wear, lay a sheet of sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface (like a piece of glass) and lap them using a figure 8 pattern, then bed them
btw, thanks for the suggestions guys... I think I'm gonna try this.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 PM
orangeflash

hey guys, Update!!! I finally got this problem fixed. Turns out is has nothing to do with the drilled rotors or pads. I took it all the way to west covina nissan to get a diagnostic check and they said I needed to replace my ABS actuator (brain unit) becuase it was going out. (the vibration jutter noise ended being the abs). They said it was gonna cost 1700.00 to do the job for me. I told them forget it, and took my car back home. I asked my dad and Ed from precision nissan for some advice on the problem and they both recommended cleaning in and around the abs brake sensor. So I took off the front wheels, took off the sensors, and cleaned the sensor and inside the hole where the sensor does it's job. There was some grime inside the hole and I cleaned most of it out. Took the Z for a ride and no more problem!!!! Brakes and ABS are perfectly fine!!!! So if I replaced the ABS Brain there still would of been a vibration from the ABS!!!!!!!

Thank You ED!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Eazzy

Great !!!! Good info. But really, in the future, replace matched components as a package. Kinda like replacing the pressure plate and not the disc or in the older cars, the plugs, but not the Rotor, Wires and Cap.

I need to address my brakes soon and I will chk my sensors as well
Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by Eazzy
Great !!!! Good info. But really, in the future, replace matched components as a package. Kinda like replacing the pressure plate and not the disc or in the older cars, the plugs, but not the Rotor, Wires and Cap.

I need to address my brakes soon and I will chk my sensors as well
I understand your point about replacing matched components, but the pads were fine. I also did some research and an expert that works at stoptech said that it is not neccesary to change your pads.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by orangeflash
I understand your point about replacing matched components, but the pads were fine. I also did some research and an expert that works at stoptech said that it is not neccesary to change your pads.
And I have all the respect for the ST guys--I run ST rotors and Pads and Lines...

All I can say is this ..... Iv been doing Standard and Hi-Perf brakes,Clutches, building motors and just about everything. for close to 40 yrs (UGH) and I have my rules that I have learned from making mistakes and Not always playing by the rules.

I like balance----I like the Mating of 2 virgins
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by Eazzy
And I have all the respect for the ST guys--I run ST rotors and Pads and Lines...

All I can say is this ..... Iv been doing Standard and Hi-Perf brakes,Clutches, building motors and just about everything. for close to 40 yrs (UGH) and I have my rules that I have learned from making mistakes and Not always playing by the rules.

I like balance----I like the Mating of 2 virgins
all respect here. But seriously, Thank you for the advice.

Last edited by orangeflash; 02-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
nautox

My G/F's Z is doing the same vibration thing. Nissan doesn't know what it is either. Im going to try cleaning the sensors (she drove thru a deep puddle) I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
nautox

Fixed it! I also flushed the brake fluid and that did more than cleaning the front sensors & sensor holes. thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
98Ekhatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy moly mine is doing some weird things like that to..mine makes the juttering noise and it pulls to the right like the caliper is sticking..wtf.. took it to nissan and they couldnt replicate the problem. figures and it happened a couple times on the way to nissan this morning. whats weird it does it somtimes and somtimes it dont. also i can hear some clicking up front like some abs noise....
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
FA 350z

my car also does that .
i want to try this thing ,cleaning the sensors,but i don't know where they are .
can you help me out ...
thanks,,,
Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 AM
98Ekhatch

the sensors are behind the hubs...you will see a round plastic peice and a wire... its been awhile since ive looked at it.. im going to do that today... are your brakes pulling also to the left or right...
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
FA 350z

no, it does not do that . mine makes the noisy sound , and the brake pedal shakes .
it does not do that all the time but when it starts doing that it keeps doing that every time i hit the brake .it is like that it does that only when the brakes are hot.

i well try the process and give you the results...
thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 PM
FA 350z

hello again ,,
i could not find the sensor that you meant ...
can you please put a picture shows where is it exactly..
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM
98Ekhatch

update!!! cleaned my sensor and the brakes work just fine now..
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 AM
orangeflash

Yes, cleaning the sensors behind the rotors will fix this problem!!!