Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

coilover vs shock/ground control option

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Thermal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilover vs shock/ground control option

Ya its covered a bunch and i searched but I didnt see the particular scenario I am thinking about.

I come from the 240sx world and one of the best suspension options for us was a ground control suspension with Koni Yellows or similar shock. See below for what I mean:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=74/CA=93

This was a cheaper option than most coilovers and actually better. It was still height adjustable and the konis had better valving than most off-the-shelf coilovers.

So my questions are:
1) is there a solution like this in the 350z world?
2) is it all that and a bag'o chips like it was for 240s?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't adjust height at the spring perch. The spring perch should only be used to adjust spring preload.

The shock body is where height should be adjusted.

JET
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
You shouldn't adjust height at the spring perch. The spring perch should only be used to adjust spring preload.

The shock body is where height should be adjusted.

JET
Full height is better, but several systems successfully use preload, Kw, Tein, Bilstein and Truechoice. Height adjustment range is of course not as great and piston stroke can be compromised at lower settings (Truechoice phase IV has shorter case/piston rod lengths).
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Apothyosis
Ya its covered a bunch and i searched but I didnt see the particular scenario I am thinking about.

I come from the 240sx world and one of the best suspension options for us was a ground control suspension with Koni Yellows or similar shock. See below for what I mean:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=74/CA=93

This was a cheaper option than most coilovers and actually better. It was still height adjustable and the konis had better valving than most off-the-shelf coilovers.

So my questions are:
1) is there a solution like this in the 350z world?
2) is it all that and a bag'o chips like it was for 240s?
1. Yes, but the effort and cost makes then a no show for this community. They prefer cheap coilovers, good valving or not. Koni makes their own sleeve kit that slips onto the front shocks. For the rear, best most economical solution are the rear only kit's that float around on ebay. Beware they do not have a adjustment wrench and the spring that comes with the kit is 475lbs-500lbs. To suppress cost's more, Koni also have the upper mount adaptor's that allow you to use the oem upper mount with 2.5" ID springs.

2. No,.........but and it's a big BUT. You run smack into two large deal killing problems. One, Koni sport valving for the 350Z has a big issue with running higher spring rates. Rebound is ok up to 448lbs, beyond that and you will wish for more. The bigger issue is not enough mid and high speed compression dampning (not the same as cheap coilovers that use poor valving to give the illusion of good ride qulity). You may be able to fix that with a revalve or you may be at the limit's of the twin tube design. The second problem is front drop amount. 448lbs in the front only equals about a .5" drop, 560lbs front only equals about a .2" drop and that's with spring preload at the lowest possible level. To drop lower then that would require having the front case/piston rod's shortened or to have the front shock legs just above the lower mounts shortened (a lot cheaper to). All the effort makes spending more on a quality coilover what I would recommend (not the generic garbage either).

Tokico D-specs could also be used. Simply purchase the full sleeve kit on ebay and toss the springs it comes with. Respring with Eibach ERS fronts and Eibach ESS 5"ID x 9.5" tall in the rear.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 04-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Thermal1

Thanks for the quality information!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Control 350z

GC doesnt make a kit for the 350z Jay (the owner) didnt think there was enough intrest in them to make them. he has a kit designed. but there seemed to be no intrest there.

to be honest, if you wanted them to make the kit you would have to see how many people on here would be interested and actualy make a list and send it to Mark and Jay to show them that there was intrest in it. and jay told me it would be about 600 for the kit w/o shocks.