Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Another "What BBK should I get?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a few companies make forged monoblocks, but let's call a spade a spade....we're not running LM class cars here lol
Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 AM
GWord256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets just make sure we're on the right page here.

B) When you say backing plates are you refering to the ~1/4" thick solid metal plate that the pad material is connected to?

Or

A) The thin, less than 1/16", metal plate that, from what I understand, is used to reduce brake squeel?

If you mean A) then I doubt I have titaninum plates, just what CarboTech has been sending me. If you mean B) I'd so much assume the ones I have are stainless steel and copper and brake function (and squeel) is not affected with them on or off.

And I don't understand why I'd want to block heat. Isn't the whole purpose to remove as much heat as possible? Though I suppose you may mean blocking heat from going into the caliper then to the brake fluid.

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Are you using backing plates with your pads? They (especially titanium) are a good investment for blocking heat.

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GWord256
Lets just make sure we're on the right page here.

B) When you say backing plates are you refering to the ~1/4" thick solid metal plate that the pad material is connected to?

Or

A) The thin, less than 1/16", metal plate that, from what I understand, is used to reduce brake squeel?

If you mean A) then I doubt I have titaninum plates, just what CarboTech has been sending me. If you mean B) I'd so much assume the ones I have are stainless steel and copper and brake function (and squeel) is not affected with them on or off.

And I don't understand why I'd want to block heat. Isn't the whole purpose to remove as much heat as possible? Though I suppose you may mean blocking heat from going into the caliper then to the brake fluid.
I'm not talking about either. You are reffering to the shim. You cna remove the shim and use a backing plate. You want to keep the heat out of your pistons and fluid. Thats' what the backing plates do.

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Doh-Joe

All these kits will stop your car. The bigger the kit the more energy it can absorb and dissipate. The value of these kits can be found in other things such as turn around time for a rebuild, pad selection, and customer service. Just like women buy jewlery as fasion accesories, guys buy brake kits. I brutalize my brakes on the track, but I also am a brand *****.

I think Stoptech would be my number one choice for a BBK. They look good, have good customer support, parts are readilly available, they can rebuilt and refinished by the manufacturer and they are race proven.

JET
I don't know why but I love that statement
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

The new line of calipers I was reffering to. I would like to see a Grand Am team, or Koni Challenge car use these for a season and put them to the test.

JET
I think you'll appreciate the newer version I'll be posting up soon on the next level of caliper options for this.

Details forthcoming soon. Just too busy to get it done....

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

StopTech or AP Racing > WilWood!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Rotora/Greddy GREX/AP 6 piston ... all by the same manufacturer, decent pad selection, not so good customer service by Rotora/Greddy, race proven. Rotora has a good price point.

JET
Didn't know that actually, where did you find this out?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
JETPILOT

GREX 6

Rotora 6

AP Racing

The AP racing caliper is slightly different, but the same blank was used to mill the caliper. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but they are all sourced from the same manufacturer... likely AP Racing since they have a production factory.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-30-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Thought AP Racing was a British company and Stillen was the sole vendor. Also I'm 95% sure there is two different calipers for the US market & the British market.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
JETPILOT

I just looked online and I see a few vendors selling AP Racing for the 350Z. What does being a British company have to do with the calipers being from the same manufacturer?

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I'm not saying they aren't. Just curious why Greddy/Rotora would outsource.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

because neither greddy or rotora make their own anything when it comes to brakes or suspension, or many other products.

AP is owned by Brembo fwiw. There are a variety of different calipers AP offer worldwide, depending on the application - all of these calipers are offered in the US, or any other country as well. Any dealer can get them for you, either as a kit, or as an individual component. For example, I just received calipers for a project I am working on (another car) and was able to order the AP calipers and disks on their own without a problem. Hats and brackets I had made since its a custom 1 off project.

AP does not supply any of these firms as far as I am aware. None of the pads for an AP 6 piston caliper I am familiar with transfer over to a Rotora caliper, for example.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-01-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by App6MT
StopTech's don't do **** other than disappate heat faster: http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_br...rmance%20Model

IMHO you are buying BBK for looks on the Z/G until a real application comes out.
This is a pretty oxy-moron statement right here and I'm going to have to side with Z1.

I bet at least half the people on here do not know the core functionality of what brakes actually do in a vehicles dynamics. Brakes don't stop a car, tires do, just like Z1 said. Brakes convert kinetic energy into thermal energy. Applying a high-performance brake system allows higher heat capacity to the car and having a BBK that dissipates heat efficiently is one of the primary focuses of these manufacturers.

To the OP; you really have to be honest with yourself on why you want or need a BBK. Once you figure that out and do some research, making your decision will be much easier.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Thought AP Racing was a British company and Stillen was the sole vendor. Also I'm 95% sure there is two different calipers for the US market & the British market.
GREX is private labeled by Rotora and Rotora BBK's are manufactured over seas (not Japan). Stillen is the sole U.S distributor for A.P but the kits that Stillen sells are not the same as what is sold in other countries. The kits that are distributed in the U.S is on the low end of the spectrum compared to whats fully offered from A.P around the world and no, to be clear, AP does not make brakes for Rotora. The calipers may look the same but they are not manufactured by the same source.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
mistico

Originally Posted by App6MT
StopTech's don't do **** other than disappate heat faster: http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_br...rmance%20Model

IMHO you are buying BBK for looks on the Z/G until a real application comes out.

Yes I know, they already called you on this, but this is very important to understand. BBKs don't make your car stop any faster, it doesn't matter who makes them. What makes you stop faster is what makes contact with the road, ie tires. The gripier the tire, the more brakes you can apply.

The MAIN reason why we upgrade to BBKs is not to stop faster, it's to be able to brake hard over and over again without or with consideribly less brake fade. Heat dissipation is key to this and many BBKs do a good job at this. Again, stopping quicker is not the goal. The goal is to be able to brake hard repeatedly.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
GREX Stillen is the sole U.S distributor for A.P but the kits that Stillen sells are not the same as what is sold in other countries. The kits that are distributed in the U.S is on the low end of the spectrum compared to whats fully offered from A.P around the world
this really is not true....the calipers Stillen uses for many of their kits is the same as AP uses in the UK, throughout Europe, and the rest of the world in fact. I've spent nearly 10 years selling AP stuff, and have used it more times than I can count on my own stuff, so trust me on this There are some kits, that use some components that are not made by AP (liek some of the 1 piece rotors, or some brackets), which is to be expected, since there are applications for the US market that would not have a corresponding need in another part of the world for example. However, most of the components in most of the kits are AP's own products
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
this really is not true....the calipers Stillen uses for many of their kits is the same as AP uses in the UK, throughout Europe, and the rest of the world in fact. I've spent nearly 10 years selling AP stuff, and have used it more times than I can count on my own stuff, so trust me on this There are some kits, that use some components that are not made by AP (liek some of the 1 piece rotors, or some brackets), which is to be expected, since there are applications for the US market that would not have a corresponding need in another part of the world for example. However, most of the components in most of the kits are AP's own products
Can't argue with that, we are not a huge mover on A.P but from what I heard is that A.P calipers are different among the Japan market, I'm not too sure about the U.K or Euro market though.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

There are some calipers they use in certain markets for certain needs/applications, just as any manufacturer does with any product.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
There are some calipers they use in certain markets for certain needs/applications, just as any manufacturer does with any product.
Hmm, I'm only aware of AP and BREMBO that does this, most of the Japanese brands seem to offer the same kits in the U.S as they do in Japan.

Quick Reply: Another "What BBK should I get?" Thread