Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Another "What BBK should I get?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
GWord256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "What BBK should I get?" Thread

I've done my homework and I narrowed it down to... all the kits I can find Which includes:
1-Megan
2-Racing Brake
3-AP Racing
4-StopTech
5-Ksport
6-Greddy

All have front/rear kits available. I've herd good things about most of them. I haven't herd any bad things about any of them (except some of the price tags).

I will be using them primarily for track use and to/from track use (next mod... TRAILER! I wish).

The car needs to remain street legal which means I need the parking brake. So, does anyone know if these kits remove the parking brake?

I'm particularly interested in Megan considering they are significantly cheaper than the rest. But I'm worried about brake pad availability, they only advertise one pad on their site and it's max temp is 650F. Hardly high enough for track use.

How's the pad availability on the other kits?

I need to send out an email or start calling manufactures these questions, but in the mean time I'd like your opinion.

See attached for prices and links

-Gavin
Attached Files
File Type: doc
brake.doc (72.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see Rotora 355 6/4 piston brakes on your list. I went with those. Iwouldn't go with KSport or Megan. They are not track proven yet. Rotora Catalog

Front: $2,425
Rear: $1,795

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-29-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Moroccan_Mole

from your list, stoptech hands down - huge pad selection and replacement parts are very reasonably priced
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
World Famous Z

Factory infiniti G37 brakes off of the sport model!
ZACK over at Rare JDM can get you the brackets necessary for the fronts to fit, the rears bolt right up.

you can pick up the entire kit from us for under $2k!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Wilwood brakes from TCE , pad selection is endless, prices for the 6 piston 14 inch front is $1700 , and 13 inch rear is $1150. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=22
Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your selection is all over the place, especially from a budget standpoint.

Of the 2 you list, the Stoptech and AP will far and away have the greatest pad selection. Out of those 2, Stoptech replacement components are the easiest to get (replacement rotor disks, pads, hat to rotor hardware), and the least expensive.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-30-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

On the StopTechs. Track/street proven and great pad selection. Ordered mine from PaulGT2.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 AM
App6MT

StopTech's don't do **** other than disappate heat faster: http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_br...rmance%20Model

IMHO you are buying BBK for looks on the Z/G until a real application comes out.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
JETPILOT

It's really a toss up.....

Stoptech... has great pad selection, and customer support, and race proven.

Rotora/Greddy GREX/AP 6 piston ... all by the same manufacturer, decent pad selection, not so good customer service by Rotora/Greddy, race proven. Rotora has a good price point.

Brembo... Other than high cost they are flawless, also an F1 manufacturer.

Alcon..... want to buy from the manufacturer of F1 calipers. These are the guys, also expensive.

Megan, Racing Brake, KSport... not yet proven on the track, unknown pad selection, support is non existant.

Endless.... stupid prices, great brakes

Project MU... stupid prices great brakes.

Wilwood.... Not race proven, good price point!

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 04-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

And less heat = less fade = less stopping distance & more track time.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by App6MT
StopTech's don't do **** other than disappate heat faster: http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_br...rmance%20Model

IMHO you are buying BBK for looks on the Z/G until a real application comes out.
Are you saying there are no benefits to the Stoptech or any other BBK upgrade?

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
Factory infiniti G37 brakes off of the sport model!
ZACK over at Rare JDM can get you the brackets necessary for the fronts to fit, the rears bolt right up.

you can pick up the entire kit from us for under $2k!

tony, can you buy just the rears?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Are you saying there are no benefits to the Stoptech or any other BBK upgrade?

JET
Not necessarily that finite of an answer. I am just saying, I'd like to see more independent data of each individual setup before people make assumptions to which one is the absolute best. Is there data to say that Project Mu is worth X amount because it does stop faster than the Megan kit?

Just don't write something off as bad until there are tests to show it is bad. Our stock brake system is pretty good.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
JETPILOT

All these kits will stop your car. The bigger the kit the more energy it can absorb and dissipate. The value of these kits can be found in other things such as turn around time for a rebuild, pad selection, and customer service. Just like women buy jewlery as fasion accesories, guys buy brake kits. I brutalize my brakes on the track, but I also am a brand *****.

I think Stoptech would be my number one choice for a BBK. They look good, have good customer support, parts are readilly available, they can rebuilt and refinished by the manufacturer and they are race proven.

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 AM
GWord256

Well, my brakes just blow. If I get racing pads agressive enough to stop fade I boil fluid. If I get anything other than race pads I get redicoulous(sp?) fade and go through an entire set of pads in a day.

Has anyone survived with the Megan's and R-coupund tires? The cost difference (vs. StopTech) alone will let me order a few set of spare pads to ship off to CarboTech to put on a different compound.

Budget isn't too much of an issue, but I certantly don't want to spend more then what something is worth. Thats why I listed all the options I could find. I am considering them all pending comments and emails to manufactures.

Not necessarily that finite of an answer. I am just saying, I'd like to see more independent data of each individual setup before people make assumptions to which one is the absolute best. Is there data to say that Project Mu is worth X amount because it does stop faster than the Megan kit?

Just don't write something off as bad until there are tests to show it is bad. Our stock brake system is pretty good.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is completely a backwards statement...dissapate excess heat. To say "until a real application" comes out, makes 0 sense.

brakes do not stop a car, tires do. Hence why brake tests that use distance as a measuring stick don't mean a damn thing - it wouldn't be a test of anything except to sell a magazine and appease perhaps an advertiser. Without understanding this, you can't really comment on what is worthwhile, or not.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-30-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Wilwood.... Not race proven, good price point!

JET
Over of 30 years in racing , they still arnt proven. Its a tought crowd here.

BTW wilwood pad selection is just like AP, everybody makes pads for their calipers.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by GWord256
Well, my brakes just blow. If I get racing pads agressive enough to stop fade I boil fluid. If I get anything other than race pads I get redicoulous(sp?) fade and go through an entire set of pads in a day.

Has anyone survived with the Megan's and R-coupund tires? The cost difference (vs. StopTech) alone will let me order a few set of spare pads to ship off to CarboTech to put on a different compound.

Budget isn't too much of an issue, but I certantly don't want to spend more then what something is worth. Thats why I listed all the options I could find. I am considering them all pending comments and emails to manufactures.
Are you using backing plates with your pads? They (especially titanium) are a good investment for blocking heat.

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Over of 30 years in racing , they still arnt proven. Its a tought crowd here.

BTW wilwood pad selection is just like AP, everybody makes pads for their calipers.
The new line of calipers I was reffering to. I would like to see a Grand Am team, or Koni Challenge car use these for a season and put them to the test.

JET
Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 AM
JETPILOT

The new Baer's look amazing. A one piece forged monobloc caliper. Only Brembo manufacturers one and it's about $10,000 per axle. The Baer's are only about $2300 per axle.

JET

Quick Reply: Another "What BBK should I get?" Thread