Horrid, Horrid Brake Squeal and Rear Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Horrid, Horrid Brake Squeal and Rear Noise

Hey all,

First off: I have searched long and hard on this subject, I've also talked to several mechanics...none have been able to solve my issue.

I got new Hawk HPS pads(front/rear) about 2~ months ago. For the last month and a half I've been having a horrible, embarrassing, just outright STUPID squealing coming from my brakes. The squeal usually last even after the pads have warmed up, and happens during on cold days/warm days. Dan @ Scarab Performance did my pad install, so I'm sure the job was done right...

I just need any suggestion, help, advice in stopping this damn squeal - words CAN NOT explain how bad it is!!!

I've done the following so far:
-Use high pressure sprayer to wash brake bust out of caliper, done 3x+
-"Clean" pads (get on highway, apply light brake while applying light accel. to remove any dirt/roughness on pad), done 2x

I need some help here!!

ALSO:

I had my Hotchkis Sport Springs and some wheel spacers installed a couple weeks ago, I've started to notice a faint, but noticeable, whirling/bumping noise while in motion. This only happens in motion, so I believe it can't be a rear axle issue. The sound is located near the right rear - sounds like the lugs are going around-around or some similar noise.

Hopefully with these issues fixed, a couple slight dents taken out, my car will be in mint condition once again!

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions/advice,

Nihsnek
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Bump for sanity
Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
saladito6

Try putting some permatex disc brake quiet or check and see if the clip on the pads is messed up. (Happend to my friend on his Intergra, Hawk replaces them for free!) Or check to backing pate on the pads sometimes that comes loose and can rub on the rotor, saw that one happen to my Gf with her car.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

-how's your rotor condition? did you bed them good?
-take the spacer and try.
-check ur springs if you installed correctly
Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Originally Posted by saladito6
Try putting some permatex disc brake quiet or check and see if the clip on the pads is messed up. (Happend to my friend on his Intergra, Hawk replaces them for free!) Or check to backing pate on the pads sometimes that comes loose and can rub on the rotor, saw that one happen to my Gf with her car.
Thanks, I'll check the clips and see if anything is making direct contact.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Llare

Bro bring it back to me and let me look at it... If you are having an issue and its this bad you should call me. I don't mind taking a look at it...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the rotors are worn. The worse my rotors are worn (HP+ though), the worse they squeel. How many miles are on your rotors? If they haven't been turned ever that would probably fix it. If there is of course nothing dragging. I somehow got a screw stuck between my rotor and the dust shield once.... WOW, that squeeling cannot be described in words. It just so happened to have gotten flicked up in there some how right after a weekend at the track so I thought I had worn down the rear pads to the backing plates... not the case so I found after changing the pads. The front left rotor had the screw. Took out the screw, didn't even bother resurfacing the rotors, all better now. Now just NORMAL squeeling.

EDIT: And if you have ANY reason to believe your wheels/spacers weren't torqued down right or have come loose... CHECK IT NOW! A buddy of mine back in college ignored it thinking it was just another problem and his wheel came off while driving! The wheel was toast because the movement wore the bolt hole WAY out of shape AND his fender was wrinkled from hitting the tire.

The only other whiring I can think of would be gear whine, but I don't know how that could relate to the mods you did.

Last edited by Beau; 11-15-2008 at 02:17 PM.