Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Mother F*$#% I ran over a concrete median!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch man.

I once ran over a speed bump at night in a parking lot in my Z I didn't see.

Was only going about 10-15 tops but my head made contact with the roof LOL. Was like a bucking bronco ride. Nothing scrapped because by the time the front wheels touched down and the front suspension started to compress the rear wheels where on the speed bump and heading for liftoff.

Got lucky on that one.

One time in my truck I did something like what you did. It was dark as hell and was in an unfamilar town, turning left into a gas station. They had those big mound bump things that act like an island. Well never saw them at all. Was doing about 15-20. Luckily I had my older rims which had way bigger sidewalls and nothing was hurt.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:04 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
man that sucks, that'll learn ya from going 30 in a parking lot again
That's an understatement... but yeah...

I have full coverage but I think its just if another vehicle is involved. I'm not sure yet its under my dads insurance... since they have multiple vehicles I only pay $60 a month for the Z's insurance. So my incident probably would have no coverage. But i'll find out Monday...

Yeah i've seen others hit those islands too, but not at 30 MPH... I'm surprised it did as little visual damage as it did! That kind of impact at that speed usually results in some pretty extreme stuff from what i've seen in the past. I should consider myself lucky I think.

I have to say the Z still feels pretty solid, just the steering is effed. Seems to be pretty well built, lets hope that helps me out and there is no frame damage.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
BlackMamba2448

everybody's got volks

advans are the new volks

btw sorry to hear bout that mike good luck w/ the fix

suppose i wont see you at the track anytime soon
Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
time to go buy volks.........and ditch them rotas
It's funny because my Volk wheel looks exactly the same as Mike's Rota, except I only hit a small pothole and he hit a center median The Rota P45 wheels are very durable and I am very impressed with the condition of the wheel after this accident. Without knowing it was a Rota you would think it was a forged wheel due to the lip just bending and no cracks, did you fail to see his tire even has a hole in it. That shows just how hard of an impact this was...

The good news is Mike will have a brand new Rota P45 wheel Tuesday afternoon, one day after it has shipped. Had this been a Volk it would be near impossible to get just one replacement wheel let alone in one business day..

-Dan
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com

The good news is Mike will have a brand new Rota P45 wheel Tuesday afternoon, one day after it has shipped. Had this been a Volk it would be near impossible to get just one replacement wheel let alone in one business day..

-Dan
good News for OP !
plus sorry to hear that OP.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
Without knowing it was a Rota you would think it was a forged wheel due to the lip just bending and no cracks, did you fail to see his tire even has a hole in it.
-Dan
I thought it was sportsmax wheel....
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
time to go buy volks.........and ditch them rotas
its douche bags like you that give volk owners a bad rep.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 PM
SiNzz

I feel for you man. I did a similar bonehead move, except I went over at only about 1 or 2mph in a parking lot. I was extremely lucky and got off with no damage except pushing in the plastic undertray. All I can say is at least you get an excuse upgrade some parts . Good luck.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 PM
gregom

Well frankly i'm surprised everything held up as well as it did. 30 MPH for fu$#& sake!!! Possibly even faster, i'm not sure... I certainly wasn't going slow and I didn't slow down when I saw the island, granted about 2 meters in front of my car...

The wheel held up quite well although i'm not so sure, perhaps it would have been better if it cracked or absorbed even more energy... But then that could of been transferred to other areas like the hub and cv joints and brakes...

Either way, i'm alive and didn't get injured and no one else got hurt... thats good in my book. I'm still bloody pissed off at myself though, and that feeling will probably never go away.

I just hope I can get this all fixed without spending over $1500, which granted is pretty optimistic but we shall see. I'm expecting $2200 or so quote from the dealer.

I'll report back Monday once I figure some things out and have taken it to perhaps a few shops.

Thanks to Dan @ Wheeldude sounds like he can get me a new wheel shipped out pretty quick to rid of this hideous donut!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
magna750

Originally Posted by gregom
Either way, i'm alive and didn't get injured and no one else got hurt...
Thats exactly right. Nothing is so broken that money cant fix it, and you are uninjured. All in all things could be worse.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
azula

slow down in parking lots! keep us updated!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM
sinister350z

Why cant people have any other wheels other than volks? Maybe he didnt want to look like everyone else?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
SlowZster

the skinny thing you kept referring to is called an endlink. There are a few aftermarket ones that you can upgrade to if interrested. I believe Z1 makes some, and I run the SPL endlinks. No real complaints with mine. Good luck to you.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
gregom

Well I took my car to a Nissan dealership... they said the frame is fine, and the crossmember and sway bar bracket (left side) needs replaced. $1200 for the crossmember replacement, and about $150 for the sway bar bracket. They said the left lower control arm is bent and needs replaced ($450). Those costs include the labor too.

I have a new wheel on the way from Wheeldude.com and it should be here tomorrow... So I should be able to get the car back by Wednesday hopefully after its all back together and aligned.

So I think its time for a second job... *sigh*

This sucks.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
WhiteNoiz

Damn bud, sorry to hear! I just went through the same exact thing, accept I hit a rock just big enough to hit my x-member coming down from "lucky peak" hah (blind corner). My x-member had to be replaced, some heat shields, oil pan, and some stock exhaust parts. I had them replace the oil pan, heat shields and x-member. I put the Bassani exhaust on myself, using the $ for stock parts, and then some. Good news is that the x-member bolts onto the frame. Once that is replaced, your car will be good as new (along with the other suspension parts). My main concern was frame damage also, I can re-assure you that from the looks of it, there isn't any. When you look at the cross member under the car, it looks like its welded onto the frame (hard to see up there), I learned later it wasnt. I took a similar hit to the x-member. The rest of the damage is definatly fixable on your car. I feel your pain man, been there, done that! Like you said, at least your safe and its fixable.

**FYI
my repair from the dealer was 2300ish with replacing the x-member, oil pan, two heat shields, and an oil change w/synthtic (they use garbage syn btw, VQ vaped dat ish). Main portion was labor on the x-member, and the x-member.

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 06-09-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Concave
Banned

There is a reason why everyone does not like Rotas.... I hope you can see past your wallet and open your eyes...

Buy some other affordable wheels such as Enkei, 5zigen, G-Games, Work. Spend a couple more bucks for a HUGE benefit.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
2fast4comfort

care to mention that reason???????
Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really see any reason to be bashing this guy's wheel selection, he just went through a semi-traumatic experience and came here for help and reassurance. Everyone has different tastes and different size wallets.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

well this makes me feel a whole lot better about curbing my front passenger side wheel yesterday.

good luck with getting the car back to normal
Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Concave
Banned

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
I don't really see any reason to be bashing this guy's wheel selection, he just went through a semi-traumatic experience and came here for help and reassurance. Everyone has different tastes and different size wallets.
people are/was trying to save him from another misfortune.. i know this sucks.

Quick Reply: Mother F*$#% I ran over a concrete median!!!!