Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Mother F*$#% I ran over a concrete median!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Concave
There is a reason why everyone does not like Rotas.... I hope you can see past your wallet and open your eyes...

Buy some other affordable wheels such as Enkei, 5zigen, G-Games, Work. Spend a couple more bucks for a HUGE benefit.
I still can't believe people are arguing over wheels in this thread. Especially about the wheel strength when this wheel held up extremely well for hitting a cement median head on at 30mph, let alone the tire blew a hole in the side. No cracks at all just a bent lip.

Here's a picture of just one of my Volk wheels. This is the aftermath of a pothole, yes a small pothole that I went over. I did not hit a cement median directly and my tire did not blow, instead my rim bent pretty bad. Also I can't get a replacement as no one sells just one Volk wheel. Needless to say I roll on Rota's 99% of the time now and have hit that same pothole tons of tims. Never once have I cracked or bent a Rota, I love them

-Dan
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people are/was trying to save him from another misfortune.. i know this sucks.
Okay... Explain how switching from Rotas to Volks would have made any difference at all in this scenario?

The wheel debate is not even relevant to this thread.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Done Deal DR

people are/was trying to save him from another misfortune.. i know this sucks.
I'm just saying this thread didn't have anything to do with his wheel selection. If anything, I'd say the Rota's did pretty damn well an an incident like that.

Some people can't afford Volks. I know this sucks.

Some people don't care and just want something that is round, different from stock, and looks nice to them. Shocking, I know.

Hey look, I have Iforged wheels and could have bought 2 sets of the best Volks out there. Does that make me, my wheels, or my car better? Nope. Doesn't mean a damn thing. Buy what you want.

To the OP, good luck bro. Getting in accidents in the worst feeling in the world, sort of like getting punched in the nuts.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
gregom

lol @ the wheel debate... don't get me wrong I like Volks and especially Enkei's and other wheels a lot too, but I don't have a shed load of cash to drop on wheels, especially now. And frankly, I think the more give the wheel gives the better, because that means the wheel is then absorbing more energy instead of transferring it to other components throughout the car.

Anyway... I still have yet to get ahold of the insurance (since its not under my name) but i'll see if I can get any help with that. Many of my friends at work are suggesting I sue the company in which parking lot I was in. I don't know if that is even worth it... I shouldn't have been going 30 mph anyway. But those lamp posts should of been on, so that is a problem. I'm going to talk to a friend of a friend who is a lawyer and see if its something I should look into. But as far as I'm concerned this is really my own fault, 99% mine.

I just hope my car will be back to normal soon and feel normal. I would like to take it autocross this upcoming weekend... I did go last weekend and have video, just haven't shared it yet. I might get around to it but i'm still in a pretty rotten mood right now.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback, replies, consolations, etc. from you guys. You've all been helpful in one way or another, even the bloke insulting my Rota's. Grrr... lol. I'm very happy with them and honestly I don't think Volks would hold up any better to this type of impact either. There is only so much impact a tire can take, beyond that it goes to the wheel, and there is only so much a wheel can take, depending on the material, build quality, etc. It's physics... thats just the way it is.

Last edited by gregom; 06-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
ColoradoClark

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
I still can't believe people are arguing over wheels in this thread. Especially about the wheel strength when this wheel held up extremely well for hitting a cement median head on at 30mph, let alone the tire blew a hole in the side. No cracks at all just a bent lip.

Here's a picture of just one of my Volk wheels. This is the aftermath of a pothole, yes a small pothole that I went over. I did not hit a cement median directly and my tire did not blow, instead my rim bent pretty bad. Also I can't get a replacement as no one sells just one Volk wheel. Needless to say I roll on Rota's 99% of the time now and have hit that same pothole tons of tims. Never once have I cracked or bent a Rota, I love them

-Dan
I bent TWO Volk AV3's that I was running on my Integra hitting a pothole (one pothole, both passenger side rims). I loved those rims, but I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed with their strength.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Concave
Banned

this page is fail since i never said volks even once.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
gregom

this page is fail since i never said volks even once.
That's fine but even the brands you mentioned... somehow I don't see how they could do much better. My wheel HIT CONCRETE AT 30 MPH!!! That's pretty quick... and it was the first one to hit, it pretty much took all that impact, a 3,500 lb car, at 30 MPH... that's quite a lot of force, and this is all that happened to it...

I dunno mate but I'd say thats not bad. Lets put some Enkei's, or some 5zigen's and try the same thing with a 3,500 lb car and 30 MPH. I don't think they'd do much better...

But the simple fact of the matter is... I LOVE the way the Rota's look, they are very good wheels, and are well priced compared to what else is out there. I'm quite happy with them. So I don't know what your on about, but with all due respect please go start your own thread so we can argue about it there. Besides, I want to continue to sulk in my own thread, damn it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by gregom
That's fine but even the brands you mentioned... somehow I don't see how they could do much better. My wheel HIT CONCRETE AT 30 MPH!!! That's pretty quick... and it was the first one to hit, it pretty much took all that impact, a 3,500 lb car, at 30 MPH... that's quite a lot of force, and this is all that happened to it...

I dunno mate but I'd say thats not bad. Lets put some Enkei's, or some 5zigen's and try the same thing with a 3,500 lb car and 30 MPH. I don't think they'd do much better...

But the simple fact of the matter is... I LOVE the way the Rota's look, they are very good wheels, and are well priced compared to what else is out there. I'm quite happy with them. So I don't know what your on about, but with all due respect please go start your own thread so we can argue about it there. Besides, I want to continue to sulk in my own thread, damn it.
I agree. No debate coming from me!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
WhiteNoiz

What parking lot were you in? (I live in Boise)
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
gregom

Walmart on State & Glenwood, but I was leaving and heading through the parking lot passed that Washington Mutual bank where there was a big island, like a sidewalk that goes all the way across for some stupid reason. I should go back and look to see if I left any marks on the concrete there...

I got my new wheel today, went and put a tire on it and took it to the dealership my car is at. I spoke with the tech who is working on my car for a bit and we looked around under the car. He has already replaced the crossmember and the left side sway bar bracket that holds the sway bar in. We're waiting on the correct link between the lower control arm and sway bar, apparently Nissan sent the wrong one. So we have to wait until tomorrow. The tech said he cant see any frame damage and everything looks like it should be fine, but he wont know for sure until they do an alignment.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Akabeth

Oh gosh dude :X
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
tware

You can get one of those wheels replaced, on your door step, probably new tire and mounted back on the car faster than I could even get just A CALL BACK FROM A VENDOR on replacing 1 Advan. After a week to find out the wheel doesnt exist on this side of the world, add 60 more days and shipping? The shipping alone = cost of your replacement.

Actually, its pretty impressive you didnt have frame damage. Thats encouraging about how tough our cars are.. and how easily those major parts are sourced and replaced. Good luck with repairs. I almost did the same thing pulling on to a wide 4+ lane road w/ traffic @ night in the rain. At the last second I noticed the median wasnt nearly as wide as expected. Close call.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 PM
gregom

Yay!!! I got my car back! Feels good... the tech said I might have a slight vibration since my front right wheel technically is no longer a circle, its really close but its not perfectly round anymore. I should probably replace it soon but i'm kinda waiting for the new 19" Rota P45R's to come out.

The total cost in repairs came to $2,055.54, a bit more than I was expecting but I wasn't expecting to replace the lower control arm either. Looks like i'll be getting a second job to start paying this credit card off... Arghh...

Anyway i'm just happy I got my car back and it still feels good. I'm kinda iffy on taking it autocrossing this weekend. Mainly because I'm pretty sure the hit has affected the structural integrity of the front right tire. If it goes up in a corner that isn't going to be fun and I'm not sure if I want to take that kind of risk.

I've gotta say though, for hitting that damn thing at 30 mph... there are no rattles or squeaks, everything still works perfect, and it still feels tight as a drum. It'll probably feel a bit better once I replace the front right wheel/tire.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
WhiteNoiz

^^glad to hear it all worked out. the $$ sounds about right for the repair. Between you and I, maybe the nissan dealer will start stocking the shelves with crossmembers lol.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
jolt3500

dude this seriously just happened to me over the weekend. I felt like a complete dumb azz in front of everyone. I was at bestbuy and was park in front of a small concrete thing whee they have woodchips and flowers. Started the z and almost got stuck on the B----!! I was so pissed. My worst story to date yet. But ya it happens. Mother F*&^%er is right.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
ajcool2

Yeah I feel your pain.

Name:  DSC05696.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Akabeth

^ JEBUZZzzzzzzzzzzz

What did you do to that lovely rim??? :O
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Yeah I feel your pain.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

are those nexen n3000 tires on the rear?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

the edit button isnt here ????? but that question ^^^ was for the OP

Quick Reply: Mother F*$#% I ran over a concrete median!!!!