Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

wierd spring/coilover things

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 PM
kaminariZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd spring/coilover things

Hey guys, i found something on ebay a couple days ago, and i just want some input on it and opinions. First off, i wish i could find a link, i searched ebay for like half hour and it seems to be gone, odd. But anyway, it was a set of springs, and at the top it had the height adjustable threaded shock thing that goes on the shock of a coilover. Except there was no shock. The spring with the height adjustable part goes on your stock shocks and you can adjust height. and it was like $200. I've never seen something like this. What you all think? I want to get height adjustability but don't want to pay coilover price because its just a daily driver, and i want to be able to set it to the perfect height because i may regret my spring choice. So should i get them if i find them? I'm just curious if there is any input on these being mechanically faulty or bad.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So it compresses your stock springs to lower it...

Waste of money...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

??????? Are you looking at parts for a HOnda???
Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM
kaminariZ

no it was for the 350z and it does not use your stock springs. it comes with an aftermarket set of springs with the adjuster on top. it slides over your stock shock after you remove your stock springs. its like doing a spring installation except it has the adjuster on top.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 AM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you are not getting it confused with the rear springs? They don't mount on the shock and are mounted in the stock rear spring location. What you are describing sounds like this.

These are my Cusco rear springs with the ride height adjusters that mount on top of the spring.

Last edited by SchismX; 06-23-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 AM
3m wol8

he's talking about a something like this... i've seen the ones on E-bay.. they're made in Canada and marketed by Tom's Motorsports... stay away from them.. just buy some springs and shocks or get coilovers.. they're not worth the money that you'll spend on them
Old 06-23-2008, 02:12 PM
moforeynolds

^yep. He's referring to a sleeved coilover rather than a full-body coilover.

I personally wouldn't recommend sleeved coilovers. Besides, your stock dampers aren't going to last any longer with those than with standard lowering springs, so you really should buy new dampers to go with those. So all in all you aren't going to be saving much money, and you'll be left with a bone-jarring suspension. Probably not what you want on a DD.

Either search around and find the drop you want with springs or pony up and get a full-body coil-over suspension.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
kaminariZ

so check it out. here it is. i mean, i would think its better than just springs because you can choose your drop. either way the stock dampers would die after a certain amount of time on a drop with springs or with these. than after i could just upgrade to some koni yellows and adjust dampening as well. what u think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waste of $$$$, save up & either get some lowering springs or go big with a decent coil over package.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 AM
moforeynolds

Originally Posted by kaminariZ
so check it out. here it is. i mean, i would think its better than just springs because you can choose your drop. either way the stock dampers would die after a certain amount of time on a drop with springs or with these. than after i could just upgrade to some koni yellows and adjust dampening as well. what u think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us
So you end up spending the same amount of money, but doing the same job twice? Do it right and do it once. Your stock dampers aren't made to handle the stress of a lower spring and WILL wear prematurely; since you are having to take them out to install the springs anyway, swapping the dampers out at the time makes a lot of sense and will save you the trouble of doing it later.

As for sleeved coilovers, understand that the ride with those things is HARSH. Nevermind that you are after some questionable fleaBay ones that are likely going to be some made-in-China crap with no sense of QC. If you are dead-set on getting an adjustable suspension but don't want to spend an arm and a leg, consider something with a proven quality record like the Tein Basics. ~$800 for a good quality full-body coilover, which isn't mich more than what you would pay for a decent spring/damper combo.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
kaminariZ

thanks man. i will do that.