Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Warped rotors b/c of emergency brake??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:47 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warped rotors b/c of emergency brake??

Hey fellow Z drivers!

My buddy told me after I got my car that it's better to leave your car in gear and not use your emergency brake if you've been using your brakes.

He said that the pressure applied to the rotors from the emergency brake will warp them eventually because they are so hot, hot metal contracts, expands, etc. I'm sure you all know the rest...

Is this true?? Is it okay to leave your car in gear on a steep hill w/o the emergency brake?

Peace!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Buub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get your brakes really really hot, yes.

When at the track the other day, they told us not to use our emergency brakes for this exact reason: cracked pads and/or warped rotors. The rotors need to cool off a bit first.

Incidentally, they will cool faster driving around (because they can circulate air) than they will sitting.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:45 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the calipers acted as the parking brake, it MIGHT cause a problem. But the Z uses a separate "mini drum brake" as the parking/emergency brake. I wouldn't sweat it.
Attached Thumbnails Warped rotors b/c of emergency brake??-rear-dust-shield-6.jpg  
Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 PM
John

Thumbs up

Very interesting... I never noticed that before EnthuZ...
Old 07-22-2003, 04:08 PM
D'oh

Usually it's not the rotors warping that causes a problem, but rather it's deposits left on the rotor by the pads. When the pads and rotors are really hot, they can transfer material between the two, and if you stop and leave the parking brake on, there will be a buildup of material in that area. The next time you use the brakes you can feel a bit of a pulsing as if the rotors were warped. Stoptech has a pretty interesting white paper about the phenomenon on their website.

Of course, since the Z uses that separate drum, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you have to have the brakes really, really, hot for the problem to occur. Normal driving will not cause the problem.

One thing is for sure, if you are parking on hills do not rely on the E-brake to hold the car. Be sure to curb the wheels and leave the car in gear to prevent a runaway vehicle.

-D'oh!