Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Motive Power Bleeder Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motive Power Bleeder Question

I changed out my brake lines last night and plan on bleeding the lines tonight I picked up a motive power bleeder (0107).

I am planning on replacing the brake fluid with all new fluid (motul 600). Once I have the system hooked up and pressurized do i just open the bleed valve and leave it open until enough fluid has passed through or do you still have to open and close like you do for pedal pumping method?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general you'll want to open and close it... You could just let if flow thru, but you'd probably end up bleeding a bunch more brake fluid then you would otherwise. I like to think opening/closing helps break up the bubbles more, but it could be in my head. The motive's purpose is just so that you dont have to have another person with you to do the pedal pumping dance.

Just watch the fluid as it exists the bleeder, once the stream is clear with no bubbles, you should be good to move on to the next caliper. Using the clear plastic tube that should be included with your motive, on the bleeder valve should help you see the bubbles easier.

Good luck, its a great product.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did the Motive thing myself and noticed that I had to repeat the process twice. Following the first session, the pedal was soft. After driving a short distance (slowly), I repeated the bleeding process with much-improved pedal response. Dispite having to repeat the operation, the Motive system is well worth the money as one doesn't have to worry about running the MC dry while bleeding the system.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

ive read that some people pump the pedal while the motive is hooked up and pressurized...

is there any advantage to doing this or shoul di just let the motive work on its own
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After bleeding and before putting the wheels back on start the car and test the pedal. If the pedal is soft then repeat. No point in putting the wheels back on to test out the pedal on the street.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
RKnight

I like to use the two person brake pump after I use my Motive to flush the majority of the fluid. Using the pedal to build pressure and then the quick release when you crack open the bleeder valve and the rapid surge of brake fluid helps break free any bubbles still in the system.