Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Putting Porsche Brembo brakes on a 03' 350z.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
krash79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Putting Porsche Brembo brakes on a 03' 350z.

I have a set of Brembo calipers that came off a 06 Porsche Cayman. I got them for free so naturally I want to use them over getting anything else. The problem is that I don't have the mounting brackets for the calipers, also I'm not sure if I can find a rotor that will fit these brakes.
First the problem is the brackets, can I order them from Brembo, if so where can I do that? The Brembo web site is crap, it has nothing I can use and no place to order anything. Will the dealer sell me the mounting brackets without the full brake kit? Will I have to get a bracket fabricated or something? Is there anyone who can help me with this?
Second the rotor size. I think the calipers are 318mm but I will check on this. So dose anyone have any solutions as to what rotors might work.

If anyone has done this before or if there is already a thread for this that I couldn't find please help me out.

Note: I currently track my car about two times a month using the stock calipers with hawk hp+ pads and slotted rotors. This is a good setup that works well. I am just looking for that extra stop in the tight corners!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
350Catfish

Sell the Brembos to some other dude and use the money for brakes that are for YOUR car.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even see how this could work, puting porsche parts on a nissan have fun with that.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Yohda

is your wheel even going to clear the pors brembo?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Catfish
Sell the Brembos to some other dude and use the money for brakes that are for YOUR car.

+1

never understood why people want to try and make parts made/designed for another car work on a different one. especially when they got no clue WTF they are doing in the first place

Last edited by Z04; 09-11-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
krash79

The calipers that Brembo makes are all cast from the same mold different molds for each size so this should work; they just say Porsche on them until you paint over that. So the brand of car makes little difference. The only change you get is in the mounting points thus the question about the brackets.

Yes the rims will clear there’s plenty of room.

The reason I asked on this forum is that I was told by another 350z owner at the track that he saw a thread on this site where someone talked about this.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Yohda

good luck
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the rotors standard rotors? Or are they the carbon based ones? Those will be very expensive to replace in the future, so I would recommend not putting them on.

I say sell them and buy a BBK designed for the 350Z.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by krash79
The calipers that Brembo makes are all cast from the same mold different molds for each size so this should work; they just say Porsche on them until you paint over that. So the brand of car makes little difference. The only change you get is in the mounting points thus the question about the brackets.

that is where you are wrong. the brembos made for the 350z bolt directly on, no extra bracket needed at all. that is why you can take a non-brembo caliper off and bolt the brembo right on, just change out the rotor and you are set

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...bo-brakes.html

now ditch those brakes made for a prosche, and get a set of brembos made for the Z. no need to try and reinvent the wheel when there are plenty of products out there to do the job right.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Originally Posted by 350Catfish
What he said.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM
burntZ

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...udget-bbk.html

(my credentials )

yes you probably can do this, i'd start with ordering (1 of each) a cheap 350 z brembo sized front and rear discs

front 324mm by 30 mm wide
verse yours 318 should be close enough for the pads / rotors to align

rear 292mm by 22 mm wide verse 299 porsche

but i couldnt find the widths of the porsche discs

[trying to fit a porsche rotor to the z is much harder than getting the caliper onto a z rotor - i beleive, if you have the rotors too try em first)]

start in the front ( always easier)

mount the rotor, place the caliper in proper spot, very acurately measure the spaces from the mounting holes to the caliper holes

make a plywood brake mount bracket, re size remake redo until you have it correct

then make it out off metal

(alternately send one front / one rear caliper to me and i'll make you mounts ( if indeed is possible!! ) for material / shipping cost plus? a new copy of spore to try and a new set of springs to do(for all four brackets)??)

fronts should def be do able!

screw the naysayers!

end notes
you probably will need a race shop to make special stainless steel brakelines z to porsche fittings
small mods to current bits but nothing that won't let it revert to stock brakes at any point

GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 AM
lgear080

um... what about that flic in the bbk page w the porsche calipers on the Z
h,mmmmmmmmmmmm. ?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
burntZ

post some side view caliper pics with a ruler placed below (for scale)

...._______________
...(.........................)
(........porsche............)
...(________________)
.........[o].........[o]

[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]

like so and i'll make ya a guess on fitment!

also measure the piston sizes fr & rear and post those [if they are way off then you may need to change master cly which leads to selling em on ebay and buying z fitted stuff]

Last edited by burntZ; 09-11-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

If you don't know what you are doing (and I'll guess you don't), sell these and buy some oem brembos or one of the many front AND rear kits available for sale here.

You will be 1000x ahead of the game vs cobbling together a set of porsche calipers that you haven't done the brake bias calculations on.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM
krash79

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't know what I am going to do. Most likely I will have to get the bracket fabricated and with all the other cost involved it may be better to just sell these and look at something lease. I will let you know either way and post some pics.

This is the kind of info I was looking for. If anyone else has any other info. Please post it I will still be checking this thread.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
35oZephyR

A buddy of mine offered me Cayenne Brakes as well (Brembos) but it looks like a tough match up.

Maybe a race shop could put in on one of their track cars and get them tuned right. I would be a little iffy on a daily car considering the change in brake bias.

You might be able to sell it to the Audi guys and get a more balanced kit for your car.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If you don't know what you are doing (and I'll guess you don't), sell these and buy some oem brembos or one of the many front AND rear kits available for sale here.

You will be 1000x ahead of the game vs cobbling together a set of porsche calipers that you haven't done the brake bias calculations on.
+1

I was just thinking the OP has no idea what the bias is on the porsche brakes... Might not be compatible on a Z.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
BC350Z

I have a set of Brembo calipers that came off a 06 Porsche Cayman. I got them for free so naturally I want to use them over getting anything else. The problem is that I don't have the mounting brackets for the calipers, also I'm not sure if I can find a rotor that will fit these brakes.
First the problem is the brackets, can I order them from Brembo, if so where can I do that? The Brembo web site is crap, it has nothing I can use and no place to order anything. Will the dealer sell me the mounting brackets without the full brake kit? Will I have to get a bracket fabricated or something? Is there anyone who can help me with this?
Second the rotor size. I think the calipers are 318mm but I will check on this. So dose anyone have any solutions as to what rotors might work.

If anyone has done this before or if there is already a thread for this that I couldn't find please help me out.

Note: I currently track my car about two times a month using the stock calipers with hawk hp+ pads and slotted rotors. This is a good setup that works well. I am just looking for that extra stop in the tight corners!
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...thread-22.html

scroll down
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
WTX350Z

Yes the rims will clear there’s plenty of room.

The reason I asked on this forum is that I was told by another 350z owner at the track that he saw a thread on this site where someone talked about this.
I remember that thread. He was told the same thing your being told.

It can be done. basically you'll likely have to do custom brackets to hold them on (see DIY budget BBK). You will likely have a lot of work ahead of you in all honesty. But ask someone who actually knows for sure
(Girodisc)

Last edited by WTX350Z; 09-11-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
burntZ

my 2.7 cents on the brake bias questions( damn inflation!)

the main issue is keeping fr piston area to rear p.a. ratio in balance for a certain f/r set of calipers

my bet is on the front to rear ratio being better on a set of sporty porsche calipers than on the s***ty stock nissan calipers

it would be different if it was a front set from car x and a rear set from car y and you were trying to 'cobble' together a non matching set [ like my semi studied but semi random pick of f/r ratio which i purposely aimed at more front area because under heavy track braking more weight at front of car likes more front bias]
i - of course - am not any sort of brake engineer and am only going by my butt dyno results and maybe falling for the classic 'expert in one area think you then must be an expert in other / all areas trap'

BUT i have actually done the math and then done the work and have made my own BBK ( to be fully tested sat at sebring ( so bring your video cameras for youtube footage of my brakes failing into turn 1 wall )

arm chair DIYers should put asterisks near their thoughts too

send me one front & one rear caliper and i'll do it all (4 brackets) (if possible!) for a copy of spore [just too show up the doomsayers!] (no springs needed!)

back to bias & feel - it changes with tire compound / brake pad compound

i just installed my track pads - here are the 'bite'/ temp graphs for the compounds - it changes ? 40% 40 ish to 60 ish?

wilwood BP10 street pads

wilwood B track only pads ( though i squeal all the way to sebring with them installed!)

this definetly changes the braking equation but does it fling the car off the road as unsafe???? NO

how about the stoptech guys, they (stoptech) say it's fine to run front only bbk and do the rears later (if ever) - do they all crash unsafely off the road - NO again - you absolutly can get it all wrong but it's not the delicate knife edge of near death that everyone makes it out to be
another example past race cars / muscle cars - they had damn drums as FRONT brakes, then / disc front / drum rear with people swapping discs to front and more swapping discs to rear - yet again, most of them survived!

2 questions - any idea what the porsche master cylinder size is, z is 22mm ( which is pretty big) as i recall - that might influence the feel of the brakes if it's very far off also i saw on the net a porsche set of brembo bbk that was radial mount verse the z side mount which might change the issue a bit ( there are radial mount z kits also but i haven't played with em)

so their ya go -
~400 for 4 slotted brembo 1 piece rotors (can go 2 peice later for more dinero)
~150 for bracket material and heavy duty grade 8 hardware (all 4)
~200 for fr& rear ss brake lines ( possible less if you can find adapters for your current ones)
~50 for spore for me
~shipping to from florida

so say <$900 to do

used z brembo calipers if found run ?1000 to 1250 ish + probable rebuild plus rotors and shipping other bbks run 2200 to 4k+ which is fine if your a 'baller' and got that money to fling around

yea, i know there are trust issues mailing stuff to strangers but you'll have my name and address and i've seen how the guys around here react to scammers... i won't risk a drive by for a single uneeded ( by me) porsche caliper... i dunno, if you really want to do a bbk then i'm up to the challange (it seems like metal modern art sculpture to me ( though the spousal unit thinks i'm a retard for spending so much time in the garage in summer in florida!)

Quick Reply: Putting Porsche Brembo brakes on a 03' 350z.