Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Putting Porsche Brembo brakes on a 03' 350z.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krash79
The calipers that Brembo makes are all cast from the same mold different molds for each size so this should work; they just say Porsche on them until you paint over that. So the brand of car makes little difference. The only change you get is in the mounting points thus the question about the brackets.

Yes the rims will clear there’s plenty of room.

The reason I asked on this forum is that I was told by another 350z owner at the track that he saw a thread on this site where someone talked about this.

no they are not all the same

caymen front rotors are 27.94 inches thick. You would be well served to call brembo and see what rotor range thay caliper will work with - my guess is it is too much of a spread to be used without a custom 2 piece rotor, where you can make your own hub in a proper offset. At the end of the day, seems like an awful lot of work for something you can just turn around and sell, and put the $ towards a bolt on solution, but to each his own

Cayman rotors wont work because the bolt pattern is different as well as the hub diameter

The brand of car makes a big difference - not all Brembo calipers are the same mold, and of those that might be from a given caliper family, as mentioned, internals such as piston diameters can vary and that makes or breaks (pardon the pun) the setup. The caliper "mold" only determines the pad that can be used....nothing else

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-11-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yep
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by burntZ
my 2.7 cents on the brake bias questions( damn inflation!)

the main issue is keeping fr piston area to rear p.a. ratio in balance for a certain f/r set of calipers

my bet is on the front to rear ratio being better on a set of sporty porsche calipers than on the s***ty stock nissan calipers

it would be different if it was a front set from car x and a rear set from car y and you were trying to 'cobble' together a non matching set [ like my semi studied but semi random pick of f/r ratio which i purposely aimed at more front area because under heavy track braking more weight at front of car likes more front bias]
i - of course - am not any sort of brake engineer and am only going by my butt dyno results and maybe falling for the classic 'expert in one area think you then must be an expert in other / all areas trap'

BUT i have actually done the math and then done the work and have made my own BBK ( to be fully tested sat at sebring ( so bring your video cameras for youtube footage of my brakes failing into turn 1 wall )

arm chair DIYers should put asterisks near their thoughts too

send me one front & one rear caliper and i'll do it all (4 brackets) (if possible!) for a copy of spore [just too show up the doomsayers!] (no springs needed!)

back to bias & feel - it changes with tire compound / brake pad compound

i just installed my track pads - here are the 'bite'/ temp graphs for the compounds - it changes ? 40% 40 ish to 60 ish?

wilwood BP10 street pads

wilwood B track only pads ( though i squeal all the way to sebring with them installed!)

this definetly changes the braking equation but does it fling the car off the road as unsafe???? NO

how about the stoptech guys, they (stoptech) say it's fine to run front only bbk and do the rears later (if ever) - do they all crash unsafely off the road - NO again - you absolutly can get it all wrong but it's not the delicate knife edge of near death that everyone makes it out to be
another example past race cars / muscle cars - they had damn drums as FRONT brakes, then / disc front / drum rear with people swapping discs to front and more swapping discs to rear - yet again, most of them survived!

2 questions - any idea what the porsche master cylinder size is, z is 22mm ( which is pretty big) as i recall - that might influence the feel of the brakes if it's very far off also i saw on the net a porsche set of brembo bbk that was radial mount verse the z side mount which might change the issue a bit ( there are radial mount z kits also but i haven't played with em)

so their ya go -
~400 for 4 slotted brembo 1 piece rotors (can go 2 peice later for more dinero)
~150 for bracket material and heavy duty grade 8 hardware (all 4)
~200 for fr& rear ss brake lines ( possible less if you can find adapters for your current ones)
~50 for spore for me
~shipping to from florida

so say <$900 to do

used z brembo calipers if found run ?1000 to 1250 ish + probable rebuild plus rotors and shipping other bbks run 2200 to 4k+ which is fine if your a 'baller' and got that money to fling around

yea, i know there are trust issues mailing stuff to strangers but you'll have my name and address and i've seen how the guys around here react to scammers... i won't risk a drive by for a single uneeded ( by me) porsche caliper... i dunno, if you really want to do a bbk then i'm up to the challange (it seems like metal modern art sculpture to me ( though the spousal unit thinks i'm a retard for spending so much time in the garage in summer in florida!)

Sorta true to a point

Stoptech, and some other firms, design their car specific kits around given hydraulics, and make the kit modular on purpose. Hence why the 03-05, Track, and 06 + BBK's have different part #'s- they are different because the cars are different. They then are able to size their rear pistons so that bias is kept within the happy range, yet allow the front to be used alone, or with the rear kit. Caymans have different master cylinders on the as well, based on the disks that the car came with. This stuff isn't by accident

As far as muscle cars, they don't stop worth a damn...they didn't in the 60's with bias ply tires, and they don't today. There is a difference between surviving, and doing the job properly. Worth it to find out? All depends on the individual
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
z-u-later

Step #1: Sell the Porsche Cayman brakes
Step #2: Use the funds from the sale to buy the appropriate 350Z Brembo brakes
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
JCSVT

It's possible. I know a guy with 996 Turbo Brembos on his C5. Why? I don't know, but they look cool. Brembo actually makes a kit for Corvettes so I guess he was ahead of the curve.

I'd just go with a bolt-on kit.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I though Porsche made their own brakes. You going to have to put a proportioning valve in the car to fix the bias.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
krash79

Big Brake Kit Picture Thread!!!

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...thread-22.html

So it can be done! I am not sure if I want to do all this it will depend if my mechanic can do it for the right price or not. If not I will sell them and go with a new set.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
z-u-later

Again, save yourself the headache -- sell it and buy the appropriate brake system for your 350Z. Brakes are one of the few items you don't want to experiment with and fail in your car.

This is what happens when your brakes fail:

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...hio-crash.html
Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
350z Guy

Originally Posted by 350Catfish
Sell the Brembos to some other dude and use the money for brakes that are for YOUR car.
i agree with him 100%, why risk putting on a part that wasnt design for your car?

but if you insist on trying to put these brakes on your car, all i can say good luck and hope it does the job.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:15 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remeber reading about a member who threw on a set of porsche brakes and it worked well