Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cusco Zero-2 Coilover help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cusco Zero-2 Coilover help

I have a suspension setup question specific to the Cusco Zero-2 10k/7k coilovers. This is my first set of coilovers on the 350Z. I installed them yesterday and set them to roughly "1 finger in the fenderwell gap" height. I can provide exactly fender to ground and fender to rim heights if needed later on today. I adjusted the height using the supplied wrenches and turning the two-ring perch that holds the spring up. (Spring preload I'm assuming?) Now, the Cusco coilovers are supposed to be adjustable for compression AND ride height, independently if I remember correctly. How do you adjust the ride height properly without affecting compression? Doesn't the perch I adjusted affected compression? Please explain what adjustments these units have specifically.

Also, I noticed that the car rides a bit "springy." Its firmer than stock, without any additional harshness, but it just seems to rock up and down a bit too much after hitting a bump. What can I do to reduce this? Coilover dampening is set to the line between 3 and 4, front and rear
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these. They have dual height adjustability. The front coilovers contain 3 collars, 1 on the bottom to lengthen or shorten the shock body. The other 2(one is locking and the other for adjusting)are for your spring pre-load. The rear is a bit different. You must adjust the height of the damper in conjunction with your springs to keep the same shock travel as you lower or raise your vehicle.

How compressed are your springs up front?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
INTIMAZY

4.2cm from the bottom of the perch.
I overlooked the 3rd collar on the shock body. How exactly do I adjust the height? Just loosen them up and turn the body?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
SchismX

I assume so. I never was able to loosen it up at all so I left it. The height ended up being where I wanted it anyways. I bought them used.

That is more preload than I have. I really don't even know what the optimal pre-load should be. Mine is only like a thumb width away from the bottom.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

main height adjustment should be done via the spring perch. Use preload when cornerbalancing and/or to adjust in small increments

for the rear, remember to make the same change to the damper that you do to the spring. So, if you take 20mm off the height of the spring, mimic that change to the damper

as to the second point, def try to reduce the preload, and feel free to play with the dampening
Old 09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
SchismX

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
main height adjustment should be done via the spring perch.
Can you explain this a little more? Assuming you're talking about the front. I am trying to visualize it and I can't, noob here. You are talking about the lower collar, correct? Do you loosen it and turn the shock body to lower or raise it? Do you actually have to disco the the shock from the lower arm to do it? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yes I'm talking about the front

the lower portion of the coilover, where it mounts to the lower control arm, is threaded. Break that collar loose with the supplied wrenches, and the whole lower mounting perch will spin up and down. This is your main height adjustment. Yes, the unit must be disconnected from the LCA in order to make this adjustment. Smaller adjustments for height/preload can be done via the sprech collar, which is a separate collar from this lower perch, and can be done while the unit is installed in the car
Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 PM
SchismX

I see. Much clearer now. Thank you
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
INTIMAZY

I eased up the preload today to the point where the spring is almost completely relaxed when fully extended. The ride is now much better. Maybe slightly stiffer than stock but without ANY body-roll. I may even back off the front sway bar stiffness.

Z1, do you have any English instructions on adjusting the coilovers?
In the Cusco instructions, I noticed a few numbers next to some japanese characters that seem to explain some kind of limits or settings but I have no idea what those numbers mean. I want to make sure the shock stroke stays within proper range.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no sorry there is no english manual - honestly the isntructions are useless and are basically 3 pages of disclaimers, and offer no meaningful technical insight
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As far as the 'springy'-ness goes; you are feeling an under-damped spring, or "riding on the spring". The damper is not controlling the movements of the spring resulting in oscillations of the car.

Making them wet won't help much, but you can try stiffening up the dampers to control the oscillations of the car, but it will result in a stiffer and harsher ride. Try playing with the dampers and find the setting that is the best compromise of stiffness and 'springy-ness'.