Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Big Brake Setup. Any Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
4thHorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanos954
I'm not sure how much R&D they need since I highly doubt they actually manufacture their own calipers, they probably just rebrand some big name brand like a lot of companies out there.

That being said I've never owned one of their brake kits or anyone elses for that matter so I can't really comment other than I haven't heard anything negative about them or anyone crashing in flames because of one of their products.
Not burning, but crashing.

Sorry had to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_dK1LMmBk
Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I don't understand the rationale behind this argument. If you're tracking the car, the general consensus is that there are much better setups available (albeit, for slightly more money). Then again, if its for show purposes, anyone who knows anything about the car scene will immediately recognize that you have a comparably low end setup on your car, instead of Stoptech, AP, Brembo, Alcon, Endless, etc. Just my $.02.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 10-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:24 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Good.... then were in agreement?
If it makes you feel better

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
I don't understand the rationale behind this argument. If you're tracking the car, the general consensus is that there are much better setups available (albeit, for slightly more money). Then again, if its for show purposes, anyone who knows anything about the car scene will immediately recognize that you have a comparably low end setup on your car, instead of Stoptech, AP, Brembo, Alcon, Endless, WP, etc. Just my $.02.
You'd put WP with those other manufacturers?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I don't know about their R&D or performance, but I do know those brakes cost a pretty penny if I'm not mistaken. mdracer76 has them, and I believe he went through a great deal of trouble to get them, which tells me that they are probably a quality product.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:29 AM
citymunky

Look into OEM G37S Brakes
Old 10-11-2008, 01:05 PM
m3inaz

I don't understand the rationale behind this argument. If you're tracking the car, the general consensus is that there are much better setups available (albeit, for slightly more money). Then again, if its for show purposes, anyone who knows anything about the car scene will immediately recognize that you have a comparably low end setup on your car, instead of Stoptech, AP, Brembo, Alcon, Endless, WP, etc. Just my $.02.
What makes them low end? Do some research about the R&D and find out what they actually do for it...

I have driven on a pair of megan BBK. I am by no means a BBK expert but they were amazing. If the pad selection is what hinders them, then so be it. I would like to see someone put them up against stoptech/rotora/etc.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
You'd put WP with those other manufacturers?
+1?

That honestly would be an insult to the aforementioned companies in your previous post.

I don't know about their R&D or performance, but I do know those brakes cost a pretty penny if I'm not mistaken. mdracer76 has them, and I believe he went through a great deal of trouble to get them, which tells me that they are probably a quality product.
Unfortunately, the cost and lack of availability of a product doesn't automatically equate to it being of outstanding quality.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by m3inaz
What makes them low end? Do some research about the R&D and find out what they actually do for it...

I have driven on a pair of megan BBK. I am by no means a BBK expert but they were amazing. If the pad selection is what hinders them, then so be it. I would like to see someone put them up against stoptech/rotora/etc.
If you want them on your car, then by all means, go for it. They're not personally something I'd want on my car.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:39 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
+1?

That honestly would be an insult to the aforementioned companies in your previous post.

Unfortunately, the cost and lack of availability of a product doesn't automatically equate to it being of outstanding quality.
I seem to have ruffled some feathers with that comment, and since you spend a ton on your setup, I can appreciate you wanting to make a distinction there
Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
stuntman

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
+1?

+1

Megan isn't known for high quality manufacturer. Maybe with time their quality will increase since many asian replicas are becoming very high quality hurting and killing off prestigous companies that actually do R&D work (like HKS, Spoon, Mines, and the like). This could be seen by the bankrupcy of Trust (aka: Greddy in the USA) who went under.

Please do yourself and the community a favor by buying name brands from companies that actually put time, money, and effort to develop a quality product, instead of the companies that copy and don't always get it right leading to failures or performance not on par as the original. But like I said, copies are getting really good and killing the industry...

Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Kwame

I seem to have ruffled some feathers with that comment, and since you spend a ton on your setup, I can appreciate you wanting to make a distinction there
Hehe, no hard feelings, I know you from your posts and I know your a good guy so I know you meant nothing harmful from that post.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

knockback explained, for anyone interested
Old 10-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

knockback explained, for anyone interested
REPOST! Please refer to post number 16, SIRRRRR! LOL. I know your away but damn homie your in the same timezone still, so no excuse.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol - we're taking a break, so I'm just surfing around
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
DerekW

Originally Posted by stuntman
+1

Megan isn't known for high quality manufacturer. Maybe with time their quality will increase since many asian replicas are becoming very high quality hurting and killing off prestigous companies that actually do R&D work (like HKS, Spoon, Mines, and the like). This could be seen by the bankrupcy of Trust (aka: Greddy in the USA) who went under.

Please do yourself and the community a favor by buying name brands from companies that actually put time, money, and effort to develop a quality product, instead of the companies that copy and don't always get it right leading to failures or performance not on par as the original. But like I said, copies are getting really good and killing the industry...

+1
to the crew at M-Workz.
But since when are Chinese/SE Asian knockoffs becoming good? Good (quality) and Chinese are two words that shouldn't be in the same sentence. Heck, I'm a Chinese and I never spend more than $100 on a Chinese product. Also, we all know why Greeeddy went under, please don't blame the China man for Greddy's lack of proper management .

To the OP:
You get what you paid for, $500 BBK = $500 safety/performance. That's why Megan and ______(insert any copycat/knockoff producer/thief here) aren't accepted sponsors in any top-tier motor-sport competition. But don't be fooled by marketing either, JDM (or any other flavor of the week) is not always better! Wait! What's that on the super duper JDM Super GT R35 GT-R? AP monoblock calipers?! What happened to the Megan BBK that did so well on the track? Regardless of the goal you set for your car, low quality = no respect, and getting props from people who don't know anything about cars is just unsatisfying.

But I did purchase a Shine bumper to smash around the canyons with, so I'm a poser also!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um, since he is sponsored by Megan, wouldn't anything he says about them be biased? I'm pretty sure his job is to promote them, otherwise he wouldn't be sponsored by them....
Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 AM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i belive d2 and ksport also have bbks ive been lookin into ksports they look good to me
also if u like wilword calipers i think onadime.com pairs a nice set of rotors calipers pads and lines for all under 1400k so idk check it out they also have custom powerdercoating id prob go with that over the megans but megan is not bad at all
Old 10-12-2008, 01:41 AM
stuntman

Originally Posted by DerekW
+1
to the crew at M-Workz.
But since when are Chinese/SE Asian knockoffs becoming good? Good (quality) and Chinese are two words that shouldn't be in the same sentence. Heck, I'm a Chinese and I never spend more than $100 on a Chinese product. Also, we all know why Greeeddy went under, please don't blame the China man for Greddy's lack of proper management .

To the OP:
You get what you paid for, $500 BBK = $500 safety/performance. That's why Megan and ______(insert any copycat/knockoff producer/thief here) aren't accepted sponsors in any top-tier motor-sport competition. But don't be fooled by marketing either, JDM (or any other flavor of the week) is not always better! Wait! What's that on the super duper JDM Super GT R35 GT-R? AP monoblock calipers?! What happened to the Megan BBK that did so well on the track? Regardless of the goal you set for your car, low quality = no respect, and getting props from people who don't know anything about cars is just unsatisfying.

But I did purchase a Shine bumper to smash around the canyons with, so I'm a poser also!
Unfortunately their aren't more people with the same rationale as you. Ask the president of HKS (NA or JP), Spoon, Mines, Cusco, or any reputable shop and they will all tell you that the rise in quality (yes, rise in quality) of Chinese/Taiwanese/etc... companies has become comparable to the original. Of course their are tons of crappy knock-offs as well, but the quality of strut braces, headers, control arms, etc... have become much better, fakes are harder to spot, etc...

Unfortunatley it is still difficult to copy a properly engineered damper and brake component. This is especially important to know and invest in a high quality well-known brake company.

Blackz123: I'm not sure any of the companies you have listed (other than wilwood) are involved in any motorsports either, so it might be classified in the same boat as Megan BBKs.