Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

VDC, Slip, and Brake Dash Lights all ON after HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
I'll give it a try to check it out. I'll still need to get some rear rotors. The OEM ones are garbage. I had to replace the front ones w/ my first break job and the rears are trashed after the track.

I would hope for more from Nissan.

My first HDPE was the same “ brake disaster ” but I learned my lesson.

1. - Only use real race pads for the track !!! - Carbotech and Porterfield come to mind.
2. - Threshold braking - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_braking
I would suggest getting some real pads for the next HDPE, but if you decide to comeback 3-4 times a year, a good BBK is a very good investment. Stoptech or AP.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 AM
07rdsterGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deftoneZ
hope you didnt fill up on brake fluid before changing your pads if they were also worn down.

I had those lights on as well, my pads were worn down and my fluid was low..
That doesn't matter, you can drain the extra fluid later when you replace the pads.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 AM
NISMOFO

I think my problem is actually the electronic throttle control...not my brakes. I have nismo R-tune pads on stock rotors though.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
T'S 350Z

Whats HPDE?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by T'S 350Z
Whats HPDE?
High
Performance
Driving
Education

Google would tell you the same thing
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
I think my problem is actually the electronic throttle control...not my brakes. I have nismo R-tune pads on stock rotors though.
Update: My issue was a code P0340 which was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Dealership replaced it and did a reflash, but I had to pay out of pocket.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the aforementioned issues, we had one car that we struggled with.

Turned out that after repeated hot lapping at the track, we had some leaking from the diff seals that was throwing diff fluid all over the rear wheel speed sensors. This would trigger the dash lights you described. The VDC/Slip doesnt bother me...but the "ABS" light does. If this light is illuminated, then your ABS will not work...which can obviously be a dangerous thing, especially if you aren't aware of it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM
R3belzBRN

i own a 2004 auto 350z with brembo brakes.had the problem just now.started my car,warmed it up.then when m about to reverse the car the ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights came up right after i press the brake pedal. Switch the car off and restart it again.still the warning lights came up right after i press the brake pedal. drove the car for about 2-3KM, still the lights went on. what i did was, stop the car by the side of the road, switch off the engine, turn the ignition key to 'ON', wait for a few sec then switch it back to 'OFF'.did about 3-4 times and the light is gone.. so guys what went wrong? ddone 50+++K on the Z. worried that even the warning lights is gone, the ABS is still malfunctioning.

Last edited by R3belzBRN; 04-03-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: =)
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
R3belzBRN

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
1) Low brake fluid.
2) Worn out brake pads (too thin).
other than the ebrake, vdc off and slip lights, will it light up the ABS warning light too?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dilly
i own a 2004 auto 350z with brembo brakes.had the problem just now.started my car,warmed it up.then when m about to reverse the car the ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights came up right after i press the brake pedal. Switch the car off and restart it again.still the warning lights came up right after i press the brake pedal. drove the car for about 2-3KM, still the lights went on. what i did was, stop the car by the side of the road, switch off the engine, turn the ignition key to 'ON', wait for a few sec then switch it back to 'OFF'.did about 3-4 times and the light is gone.. so guys what went wrong? ddone 50+++K on the Z. worried that even the warning lights is gone, the ABS is still malfunctioning.
Originally Posted by dilly
other than the ebrake, vdc off and slip lights, will it light up the ABS warning light too?
I chased the same problem for 2 weeks.. same exact issue.. i also noticed when my head lights were off.. the lights wouldn't come on.. but the radio would dim when i pressed the brake pedal..

the issue turned out to be i had two blown brake light bulbs.. replaced the bulbs and its been perfect since
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
R3belzBRN

Originally Posted by doug
I chased the same problem for 2 weeks.. same exact issue.. i also noticed when my head lights were off.. the lights wouldn't come on.. but the radio would dim when i pressed the brake pedal..

the issue turned out to be i had two blown brake light bulbs.. replaced the bulbs and its been perfect since
i did check my brake lights yesterday to make sure if its causing the warning lights to lights up or not. m sure the lights are perfectly fine.

i think that whats causing the problem is the thin brake pads. i havent change both front and rear pads. m still waiting for my brake pads to arrive in 2 weeks tym. so wish me luck guys..
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
cheanyoung

hey guys. I didn't want to start a new thread but I am having the same issues with the VDC, ABS, BRAKE, and SLIP lights on the dash. One problem I seem to have that nobody else seems to have is that my speedometer doesn't work as well. I have no CEL and this happened about a week ago. I've checked my connections, reset my ecu, checked my fuses, and checked my brake fluid but nothing seems to work. My last resort is the dealership which is a problem because I have no other car to drive if it goes there. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
R3belzBRN

Originally Posted by cheanyoung
hey guys. I didn't want to start a new thread but I am having the same issues with the VDC, ABS, BRAKE, and SLIP lights on the dash. One problem I seem to have that nobody else seems to have is that my speedometer doesn't work as well. I have no CEL and this happened about a week ago. I've checked my connections, reset my ecu, checked my fuses, and checked my brake fluid but nothing seems to work. My last resort is the dealership which is a problem because I have no other car to drive if it goes there. Any help would be appreciated.
sorry to hear about it bro..when it happened, how does the engine behave? any power loss or sumthing? we better let the pro do the talking about what went wrong with our cars.. and same here, my last options will be going to the nissan dealership which is always expensive at my place..
Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cheanyoung
sound like your camshaft or crankshaft POS sensor.. i had that problem too.. all the lights would come on.. you can tell for sure if you are at about 3500 RPMS.. then get off the gas.. then the rpm will drop to like 2000 rpms.. pause.. then drop again

just because you don't have a CEL light doesn't mean you don't have codes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 PM
R3belzBRN

here are the warning lights from my Z. it lights up again when i drive it just now. i was driving aroung 60km\h and suddenly the trafficlights turns yellow. slammed the brake and presto~ the ABS,VDC OFF and the SLIP warning lights lights up again..

after reading some post from this forum and other 350z forums i think its because one of the reason below:
1)one of the ABS sensor is not working.
2)brake pads need to be change.
3)low brake fluid.

what i know for sure whats the cause of my problem are because of reason 1 and 2. havent change the pads yet.. and look at the pics below, took the pic right after i drove frm my wife house to my parents home.. that is about 70+KM.

gonna resolve it a soon as i got back frm work next week. will be away frm the car and the internet connections till thursday..

any comments will be appreciated..
Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 PM
cheanyoung

Originally Posted by doug
sound like your camshaft or crankshaft POS sensor.. i had that problem too.. all the lights would come on.. you can tell for sure if you are at about 3500 RPMS.. then get off the gas.. then the rpm will drop to like 2000 rpms.. pause.. then drop again

just because you don't have a CEL light doesn't mean you don't have codes
yup, that is what happens to the RPM. It evens stalls out on me in nuetral if I don't have the AC on coming to a stop. Will the camshaft or crankshaft POS sensor cause the speedometer to not function?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
04silvrz

i have this problem now too. mine started right after I changed my front tires. i looked at the front brakes too, and they are shot. so i am guessing i just need to change my brakes.

but mine didn't trigger untill i got new tires. the tires are the same exact size, different brand. the other tires were GONE. like, steal belts.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silvrz
i have this problem now too. mine started right after I changed my front tires. i looked at the front brakes too, and they are shot. so i am guessing i just need to change my brakes.

but mine didn't trigger untill i got new tires. the tires are the same exact size, different brand. the other tires were GONE. like, steal belts.
What are your rear tires like , and what size are they?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
M1r4cL3

Just an update... I did another HPDE over the weekend w/ a set of Raybestos blanks and EBC Yellow Stuff pads. No issues at all this time.

I'm impressed w/ the EBC pads.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
04silvrz

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What are your rear tires like , and what size are they?

they are actually too big, i ran 245/50/18's this winter, that's what's on there right now. i ran them all winter with no warning lights though, nothing until i changed out the fronts this past weekend.

Quick Reply: VDC, Slip, and Brake Dash Lights all ON after HPDE