Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

My Complete STANCE GR+ Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 05:59 PM
cipher

Post My Complete STANCE GR+ Review

I ordered the Stance Gr+ and have had them on my car for about 3 weeks now. I recently had the Tanabe GF springs on my car and the comparison is like water and oil. I have done several tests, but im not a professional or anything so calm down... I'll Start off with......

1. Appearance: Looked very JDM, had the Gold and Black setup, springs are black. its a very good color combination. Not too flamboyant and kinda stealthy. Looked and felt very solid.

2. Lowering adjustability: All I have to say is PERFECT! I can slam my car to the ground if i want and raise up too. As of now I have the car sitting at about 2 inches

3. Noise: I know alot of threads said that they had a clunking issue when going over bumps and it was bearable but annoying. However, there is no noise from my coilovers, I think Stance has fixed this issue.

4. Dampening: Its adjustable to about every need. I havent taken it to the track yet, but I tried most of the settings. The softest setting was like riding in a boat, kinda like my friends S-Class Mercedes. It felt comfortable, but wavy. Middle Setting ( 8 clicks) was ok for normal driving, i would say comparable to OEM suspension with a little more kick. Then I tried the stiffest setting, now this is what I like. I was taking normal corners at like 55 mph! it felt nice to have control over the car. the car wont even budge, it feels like there is no forgiveness here. I know most people like to ride comfortably, but I prefer a stiff suspension. I know my friend has the Buddy Club Coilover setup, and when he puts it on stiff its a bit crazy and unbearable, feels like there are no shocks! Stance feels Solid yet still comfortable, it makes the 350z feel like this is how it should have came!

5. Price: Best Bang for your buck I would say.

6. One Thing I Hate: You cant adjust the rears without the extensions. so make sure you get the extensions so u can change the
rear. I had to do it the hard way! I think it $50 extra.

7. Compared to the Tanabe Springs: The springs vs the coilovers was a huge difference. The biggest difference was seeing and feeling how much the car actually stuck to the pavement. When I thought my springs were the Sh*t I would jerk my steering wheel left and right just to see or feel body roll. The car would still be wavy with the springs but i thought it was perfect at that time. Little did i know that when i put the stance coilovers on and did the same thing, the car didnt even budge! No body roll whatsoever! Oh and also, when i had the springs my car would usually bounce a bit when i went over a speed bump and my sideskirts would hit pretty bad, now since its pretty stiff my car barely bounces and i can clear the speed bumps at the same height of the springs, huge plus for me! Cornering in the springs vs stance, man was i stupid for thinking i was the Sh*t at taking turns. Yeah the springs did good for turns, but i think it was more for the drop than handling, if you want a really sporty and fun handling 350z then wait until you try the Stance Coilovers. I have also added a 350mm steering wheel which just makes the overall experience alot better.

8. Overall: I am extremely pleased with the coilover setup. it was affordable and made the suspension perfect for daily driving, tracking, and sporty driving.

Last edited by cipher; 04-21-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2009 | 06:12 PM
Toby-22

I have buddyclub coilovers and i plan on upgrading to StanceGR soon. I just want go be able to slam the car Thanks for the writeup
Old 04-21-2009 | 07:13 PM
That One Dude

So umm... How much were they..?
Old 04-21-2009 | 07:52 PM
cipher

i got mine thru my buddy for $1000 shipped, but i know that TH Motorsport sells them pretty close to that. my friend owns a shop and gave me a good deal. he can hook up members here too, but he still trying to become a sponsor and vendor for this site. i didnt want to list the price b/c of forum rules or something.
Old 04-21-2009 | 08:06 PM
tranceformer95

Nice review.

I have a friend who had the same coilovers. Don't bother with the 'flexible' extensions for the rear dampeners. They're junk, I had them on my Greddy coilovers, and I'm sure they're all the same. They lack any feel, the clicks between settings aren't as distinct. Just pop off the plastic covers in the trunk area, and get a hole saw. Then use a T-handled allenkey to adjust the dampeners, I forget the size.
Old 04-21-2009 | 08:30 PM
singh

You didn't even say how these compare to the Tanabe springs??
Old 04-21-2009 | 08:31 PM
cipher

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
You didn't even say how these compare to the Tanabe springs??

ok ill edit and put that in there for you, there u go!

Last edited by cipher; 04-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2009 | 08:47 PM
cipher

i just left the rear at 8 clicks ( middle) and the front is full stiffness, i think its the best setup for me when daily drivng, feels good!
Old 04-22-2009 | 04:22 AM
Get_Zwole

good review sounds great these are the coils i wanna get later this year, when i finally have some cash to drop on the Z.
Old 04-22-2009 | 04:28 AM
blasian

Good coilovers for the price. Upgraded to KW V3s after the having the Stances for a little over half a year because I couldn't pass up the deal.

And yeah, I believe Stance updated their pillowball mount to fix the noise. I'd highly suggest upgrading the bushings the rear sit on though. Luckily Whiteline makes one now.
Old 04-22-2009 | 12:39 PM
J's 350z!

Did you buy the oem style rear or true coil in the rear? Cause I recently bought the oem style rear coilovers stance GR+ and I have a bad clunking noise from the rear when going over certain bumps in the road, speedbumps or dips. Im trying to find a way to fix it. But other than the noise the coilovers are very nice for the price
Old 04-22-2009 | 03:24 PM
cipher

mine are the True Style... when did u get your coilovers?
Old 04-22-2009 | 04:08 PM
black06z

Nice write-up. I may just purchase these later in the year when I start getting back to modding the Z again.
Old 04-23-2009 | 12:42 PM
J's 350z!

I have had them for about a month now.
Old 04-23-2009 | 01:56 PM
Twenty4

i WUFF my stances. im on GR+ front at 15 rear at 10 and its perfect. best coilover for the money for sure.
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:09 PM
cipher

hmm. i have to try that setup with the 15 and 10
Old 04-24-2009 | 05:27 AM
Slow*Jim

Anybody had these on a road course?
I bought them about a year ago but ended up getting rid of them because I didn't think they would be good enough for track days on R-comps
Old 04-24-2009 | 05:33 AM
Get_Zwole

so you got rid of them before you tested them at the track? Makes sense
Old 04-24-2009 | 05:36 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
so you got rid of them before you tested them at the track? Makes sense

I got rid of mine and only had one autox on them but I couldn't pass up a deal. I think my buddy Bradley has put them on a road course... He posted a video but I know it would be almost impossible for me to find but I'll post it up.
Old 04-24-2009 | 05:41 AM
blasian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVcNUyDENm8

Blue Z obviously.

Quick Reply: My Complete STANCE GR+ Review