Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

>>>> HELP! I need lowering springs for my 06 ZR!!! <<<<

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
AustinA02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default >>>> HELP! I need lowering springs for my 06 ZR!!! <<<<

i want to lower my 06 touring ZR and I am thinking that i want to drop the front .6'' and the rear .75'' with hotchkis springs and possibly complement that with the rear spring mount mod if necessary but im still not sure. any suggestions and pictures of examples would be greatly appreciated.

my wheel / tire specs:

front: 245/40/18 offset: +20
rear: 275/35/18 offset: +20

Pictures of my car are in my album (the link below should take you there)
https://my350z.com/forum/members/aus...z-touring.html

** the rear wheels/tires are really close to flush with the fender but they are barely inside and the front wheels/tires are inside the fender ever so slightly more than the rear (i would rather not have to roll my fenders but i will do it if i need to)

thanks
FYI: i am getting spc rear camber arms with toe bolt to adjust for whatever drop i get

Last edited by AustinA02; 04-23-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mods, please fix the search function. thank you
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 AM
rotchcrocket04

What help do you need? Seems like you've got it all figured out. I'm also impressed that you're buying the rear camber arms instead of asking everyone if you'll need them (good choice).

I don't think you'll need to roll your fenders with a 3/4" drop in the rear.

Also, how long are you planning on having the car? If you're keeping it for more than another year, eventually you'll need to replace your factory shocks when they blow.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
AustinA02

i guess i really wasnt looking for help rather i was looking for other suggestions or things other people have done to their cars using lowering springs. the search function doesnt ever work right so i made this new thread.

also to rotchcrocket04, i am planning on having the car for a long time and i have read multiple other threads that mention the need for new shocks. i plan on getting some during the coming summer... any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 AM
rotchcrocket04

The Search function has been off and on lately. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

I recently purchased my suspension but researched for approximately 4 months or so. I wanted to stay in a more reasonable category of pricing because I will rarely track the car. I was initially going to go with the Tanabe GF210 springs... great following on the boards and plenty of happy costumers. 1" front 1.2" rear... definitely a more aggressive drop for springs.

Then I was reading where some guys had their shocks last 20k+ miles on those springs... and some guys blew out within 10k miles. So I figured if they would last a year I would get shocks then... even though I didn't want to do it twice. I was recommended by a trusted vendor to go with either Tokico D Specs or Koni Yellows (Yellows being the more preferred of the two). Check the vendor suspension forum... those guys are always running deals on shocks. I might suggest talking to some of the vendors about how a certain shock would pair up with the spring you go with... some shocks are good (heavier duty) but really aren't made for drastic drops.

After seeing the price of the springs with a set of D Specs or Yellows I decided it just wasn't making sense to spend close to or over $1000 for a spring/shock setup. So I changed my mind again and decided to go coilovers.

I debated for another month or two about which coilovers I wanted and ended up going with BC Racing coils and SPC front A-Arms and SPC rear camber arms/toe bolts. $1450 shipped.

The SPC kits got to my house yesterday and the coilovers should be there on Monday. I'm definitely excited.

Last edited by rotchcrocket04; 04-24-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 AM
AustinA02

i definitely see the logic in what you did. it sounds like a good idea but i have one question about it. ive read where people have gotten new shocks to complement their coilovers but are the new shocks a necessity with coilovers like they are with lowering springs or are they just an addition for better feel and handling? pretty much im asking will the shocks blow out after 10k miles or so with coilovers?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
rotchcrocket04

The shocks are part of the coilovers. Coilovers, over time, will eventually need to be rebuilt. But this also depends on how heavily they're being used/abused. One of the reasons I choose to go with BC Racing is because it's $95 per coilover to rebuild them. If I even have the car long enough to need them rebuilt (doubtfully) then $400 isn't bad to have them rebuilt.

Another thing to mention is that there are two different types of coilovers for the Z. OEM style and True Type coilovers.

A true type coilover will look like this on all four coils (it eliminates using the factory (OEM) spot for the spring.)

An OEM style will use the factory spring location in the rear (seperate from the shock).

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
AustinA02

oh i understand. i thought about coilovers but i think im gonna go with the springs and shocks with the rear camber arms and no front camber kit.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

First go with the Cobb springs , they are much closer to the updated specs of the suspension on your car. The hotchkis was designed around the 03 to 04.5 cars.

Second you will not need a roll, especially while running a front tire on the back of your car. Even if you had the proper size rear tire(hint 275/40) you should still be OK without a roll.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
AustinA02

i looked up the cobb springs and they looked good but i dont want to drop my front that much. the .6'' front and .75'' rear is just right especially when i can just cut the spring mount if a little lower back is needed