Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake experts please help! uneven brake feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Alang35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake experts please help! uneven brake feel

Hi everybody,

I have the stoptech bbk with axxis ultimate pads and I noticed that I have pretty uneven brake pedal feel. If I brake normally, let go of the pedal and brake again right after, I get much better braking response earlier in the pedal travel. Its as if I need to prime the pressure in the brake lines to get better stopping power. Could air in my lines be the cause? Bad install? Bad stainless steel lines?

I have mostly ruled out heat because the problem is still there when the pads/rotors are nice and toasty. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Start with a bleed since that should help the most and go from there.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Alang35

Originally Posted by StopTechErik
Start with a bleed since that should help the most and go from there.
I will try that... the symptoms that i am describing are not normal, right? some people have blamed it on knock back and/or heat. thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
twin001

sounds an awful lot like air in the system. Which way are your bleeder screws pointing, up or down? What method are you using for bleeding the system?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Alang35

Originally Posted by twin001
sounds an awful lot like air in the system. Which way are your bleeder screws pointing, up or down? What method are you using for bleeding the system?
theyre pointing up. not sure what my shop did. ive never bled brakes on my own either! maybe now is a good time to learn....
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
twin001

It's easy. There's DIY's everywhere here and on *********. I have the Motive bleeder, but if you can find a friend to help then that will be fine too. Check around your brake lines for brake fluid too, maybe they didn't tighten one down all the way.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Alang35

Originally Posted by twin001
It's easy. There's DIY's everywhere here and on *********. I have the Motive bleeder, but if you can find a friend to help then that will be fine too. Check around your brake lines for brake fluid too, maybe they didn't tighten one down all the way.
hmm i dont think i have a leak... brake fluid level seems to be fine. i guess air bubbles are most likely cause then
Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alang35
hmm i dont think i have a leak... brake fluid level seems to be fine. i guess air bubbles are most likely cause then
The Stoptech BBK install manual (PDF) has a good description of how to bleed the brakes. There are small details that most shops probably won't do because it takes too much time. For instance, loosen one of the caliper bracket bolts so you can angle the caliper such that the bleed nipple is at the very top, allowing bubbles to go out. Then hitting it with a rubber mallet to work any loose bubbles up. Just bleed the crap out of it with a buddy.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 AM
twin001

Originally Posted by mthreat
The Stoptech BBK install manual (PDF) has a good description of how to bleed the brakes. There are small details that most shops probably won't do because it takes too much time. For instance, loosen one of the caliper bracket bolts so you can angle the caliper such that the bleed nipple is at the very top, allowing bubbles to go out. Then hitting it with a rubber mallet to work any loose bubbles up. Just bleed the crap out of it with a buddy.
Good idea, I never thought of doing that. I'll make sure to do that before my next track session.