Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol probably a resizing error when I was copying and pasting in paint
Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
KT30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since when was the last time korea made anything to compete in global, sanctioned motorsports?

...crickets....

Exactly, jack **** came from there. I will stick to my "overpriced" JDM brands like Tanabe, Endless, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KT30
Since when was the last time korea made anything to compete in global, sanctioned motorsports?

...crickets....

Exactly, jack **** came from there. I will stick to my "overpriced" JDM brands like Tanabe, Endless, etc.

More than you know. Alot of Companies will out source to other countries mainly due to labor. You will be surprised where they come from.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so I guess you never dyno'd these
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Here is a good link to someone who has more knowledge about dampers than just about anyone I can think of.

Auto Cross 2 Win
Wow...that was great reading. So basically 95% of adjustable shocks out there are a joke.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Wow...that was great reading. So basically 95% of adjustable shocks out there are a joke.
Some things that come to mind about what Dennis say's.

To me he's a great light shown on a subject so few here think or consider when making product selection. That not everything is so wonderfull, and you need to question the worth of a product, that you should ask to see a shock dyno for your application before you buy. Get the excuse that "we dont' give that information out", give back the advise that to you this means they are hiding poor product performance and thank them for allowing that fact to help you avoid making a costly mistake. Get the excuse, Well so few know how to read them", answer that you'll find someone that does.

He's spot on about Bilstien Pss9/Pss10 adjustors. They are on off switches. But what that truth doesn't convey is that you do have a usefull range from full open (soft) to the half way point that deliver's a ride quality beyond reproach. Settings above 5 are best avoided because mid and high piston speed control swell's far too much and is anti productive. So, for the owner that seeks what I will argue is the best ride quality system you can get and know's to keep them set to 5 or lower, they are a excellent choice. But they should be avoided by anyone that wants a great ride quality and want's to turn them up for the track. I have seen the dyno's on them.

Koni, lot's of people can podium on simple OTS sport shocks. That being said Koni yellows do not have the greatest adjustor design for the owner that want's a good ride quality and also want's to turn them up for the track. They do not adjust the low speed settings in a manner to accomplish this, they stay in the range that is better suited for the track. Good for the track guys, not so good for the dual purpose guys. My comment's carry over to other products built on the same basic core, TcKline and Truechoice. I have dyno's on all three products. And I owned the sports in the past, still have the Truechoice in the garage.

Tein, we need to see shock dyno's for the Flex and Mono Flex before we write them off. For the Mazda Miata, they are a pretty good choice and perform well with good valving.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-14-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

At ARK, we take pride in quality and performance. Shock dynos for our 350z DTP system will be up shortly.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
OMEGA46

Originally Posted by knils
I've been watching this for awhile, I guess I'll chime in

I tried them out and I am very satisfied. Gave me the drop that springs couldn't, ride is everything I would ask for in dd coilover, in fact actually better than I was expecting. It's my daily and these coils gave me everything I need them to, good responsive ride and a great drop. No I don't race so I am not able to tell you how well they hold up in that scenario. I drive very spirited on the road and they handle everything I throw at them. I have driven on FK coils, bilstein coils, and kw v1 coils in the vw world and these hold their own if not outperform any of the others.

Heyyy i took that rolling shot! Well, I was driving and my passenger took it
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by ARKperformance
At ARK, we take pride in quality and performance. Shock dynos for our 350z DTP system will be up shortly.
0ips to 10ips

Force in lbs

run at the following settings

full soft
1 click up from full soft

half stiff
1 click up up from half stiff

full stiff
1 cluck down from full stiff

Hysteresis loop at soft, half and stiff
Old 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm calling BS on the shock dyno. It's been over 2 months since ARK has declared that they will post the stats and here we are still waiting. My guess is the shock dyno revealed less than favorable results and now ARK is rerunning it until they get the results they want. If the results were really good, we would not be waiting this long to see them.

Jet, thank you very much for posting the link to the shock testing write up. It's been very educational. I'm an engineer and I believe in empirical data to support a claim, not the usual, unsubstantiated claim like: our shocks will outperform any other shock in its class....and it will do so because we say so without any data to support this claim. That's just sales fluff that does not hold up to scrutiny. Many vendors say "out product is the best" but obviously not everybody can be the best. Some just say it and hope we believe it. Come on ARK, put up the numbers and stop stalling.

I am not in the market for new shocks but reading about Bilstein just reassures me that this is a good product. I've heard the same feedback from sport compact crowd, muscle car crowd and track crowd that this is a quality product. Now I got some real data to support the feedback. Once my stocks go, this may be my next choice. Koni shocks seem like a good value but it seems that I would need a shock dyno to tell me how I need to dial them in before I install them to get what I expect since the dial may lie as to what the real setting really is.

I guess the moral of the entire story is that sometimes it's better to go for high end "inferior" tech like shocks and springs than to spend money on bottom "superior" tech like coilovers that will result in poor performance and longevity.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I'm calling BS on the shock dyno. It's been over 2 months since ARK has declared that they will post the stats and here we are still waiting. My guess is the shock dyno revealed less than favorable results and now ARK is rerunning it until they get the results they want. If the results were really good, we would not be waiting this long to see them.

Jet, thank you very much for posting the link to the shock testing write up. It's been very educational. I'm an engineer and I believe in empirical data to support a claim, not the usual, unsubstantiated claim like: our shocks will outperform any other shock in its class....and it will do so because we say so without any data to support this claim. That's just sales fluff that does not hold up to scrutiny. Many vendors say "out product is the best" but obviously not everybody can be the best. Some just say it and hope we believe it. Come on ARK, put up the numbers and stop stalling.

I am not in the market for new shocks but reading about Bilstein just reassures me that this is a good product. I've heard the same feedback from sport compact crowd, muscle car crowd and track crowd that this is a quality product. Now I got some real data to support the feedback. Once my stocks go, this may be my next choice. Koni shocks seem like a good value but it seems that I would need a shock dyno to tell me how I need to dial them in before I install them to get what I expect since the dial may lie as to what the real setting really is.

I guess the moral of the entire story is that sometimes it's better to go for high end "inferior" tech like shocks and springs than to spend money on bottom "superior" tech like coilovers that will result in poor performance and longevity.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

We have been trying to Contact a couple of different place to do our shock dyno's. we sent them pictures with our mounts so see if they can run them. We are not afraid of what our graph shows. If anyone knows any businesses that does shock dynos in Socal please let me know. I have these shocks ready for test and a moments notice.

I already tried googling this and came up with MAXwell industries in Ventura, CA which still didnt get back to us regarding compatibility with our mounts.

Also Im all about being fair. ARK as a manufacturer urge other manufacturers to come up with a shock dyno for their products. ARK Performance will do so and stand behind it.
Only then, we can compare with other top brands instead of just going off their names and personal statements.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:46 AM
akomsr1

Koni USA can do a shock dyno. If you need direct contact information for Koni I can provide it but I believe you will have to ship them out to Kentucky. I'm not sure if they have headquarters in California.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by akomsr1
Koni USA can do a shock dyno. If you need direct contact information for Koni I can provide it but I believe you will have to ship them out to Kentucky. I'm not sure if they have headquarters in California.
Before you buy, it's one thing to get the manufactuer to provide you with a dyno, but it's something else once you own the product. NEVER ever use the manufactuer to dyno dampers you already own, use a independent dyno and get the raw cvp or pvp run files. You can download free shock dyno software from Roehrig Engineering that lets you view the files and see many different plot types. Koni is famous for only telling you what they want you to hear and hiding things you need to hear. Like internal pressure imbalances, i.e., hysteresis, which OTS Koni yellows are famous for having, Z application is no exception, I dyno'd mine

Example of a plot Koni will never show or discuss.

Any factory authorized Koni repair center can do dyno's.

Koni themselves out of Kentucky
Truechoice out of Ohio
ProPartsUSA out of southern California
Performance Shock out of northern California

I have dealt with everyone of those companies and for dynoing. I can only recommend Performance Shock, but none of them are independent, even Performance Shock. For a independent dyno use http://www.resuspension.com/Services-sp-3.html They are the dyno manufactuer themselves and offer a dyno service that not only gives you the plots, but explains what's on them. You can even call them about your dyno's, they can pull them up and explain to you in laymen's terms what your both looking at and with NO BIAS and NO MOTIVE to shape or alter the conversation, just the plain facts.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-21-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by ARKperformance
We have been trying to Contact a couple of different place to do our shock dyno's. we sent them pictures with our mounts so see if they can run them. We are not afraid of what our graph shows. If anyone knows any businesses that does shock dynos in Socal please let me know. I have these shocks ready for test and a moments notice.

I already tried googling this and came up with MAXwell industries in Ventura, CA which still didnt get back to us regarding compatibility with our mounts.

Also Im all about being fair. ARK as a manufacturer urge other manufacturers to come up with a shock dyno for their products. ARK Performance will do so and stand behind it.
Only then, we can compare with other top brands instead of just going off their names and personal statements.

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...age=contact_us has the adaptor's to run 350Z based dampers. I guarantee they will offer you the services you need. Speak with Bruce and hammer out the details.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Gsedan35

Not to give anyone a excuse, but I have dyno's for Koni yellow's, TcKline DA, Truechoice Phase 4, Ohlins PCV, Bilstein Pss9, Kw Variant 2, 2003 350Z oem and 2005 350Z rear dampers. Each run except the TcKlines, took about a month to get done. And that's me working directly with the shop did my Bilstein Pss9 revalving. So, I urge everyone to give ARK time. It's not like he has been hiding and never posting, he's said the dyno's will happen.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Performance Shock in NORCAL. I'll be contacting them today!!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for shock dyno results!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I talked to Bruce today for Performance Shocks. Very cool guy. We are going to be sending our shocks to them. Once we get it back, I'll post up the results
Old 08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
ARKperformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

ARK dyno result coming next week. Be ready guys !! ^ ^

Last edited by ARKperformance; 08-07-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: ARK Coilover??