7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

BBK color for Black Z....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Robs_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
From right to left, chrome with buff finish, gold, alumite with no color added, yellow and red:

Alumite again:

Good post on the picture of the color choices, it's a big help. Well I'll just keep reading up on here about the kits, mainly the cheap stuff vs the name brand lines. After all, I've always ran Volks and Garret turbos so usually don't have a problem dropping the cash. It's just cutting into the long road turbo and engine build fund. Also looking at the Megan BBK from a reliable twin turbo Z owner's recommendation.....
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
warmmilk

if you want a good cost effective bbk, go with stoptech, or at least rotora, don't take a gamble on megan parts...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Downside to Rotora is the lack of pad options down the road and the spongy pedals (in my experience on a Z at least) compared to other kits.

To the OP - don't pick a brake kit based on color. Color is the easy part, as anything can be painted or powdercoated. Instead, base the decision on the reputation of the firm, the support they offer post sale when it's time to buy replacement rotors, or pads, etc. If I had to suggest a kit to someone where price is a concern, but taking all these things into consideration, it would be Stoptech. Brakes are a wear item. You will need pads at some point, you will need rotors. The nice thing about Stoptech is there are TONS of pad options from a wide variety of firms, ranging from pure street, to pure track. Their rotor prices are also extremely reasonable compared to other firms out there as well.

Endless stuff is certainly top notch - our Z's run them here. My own car has had them for the past 2 years, after upgrading from an AP kit, and I couldn't be happier
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
warmmilk

^ agreed on all the points you made, but i figured he would be ok with rotora if he wanted to save a few bucks since he said he's not gonna track the car.

I'd personally go with the stoptech's for all the reasons you mentioned
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Robs_350Z

By no means would I get a kit just for color, Endless is a great option and yeah, I was a little confused on the pricing so that puts that one away. Almost as mush as the SP turbo kit I'm after. Thanks guys I'll keep your advice in mind when it comes time to buy.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...onversion.html

Check out this thread. I went with the OEM Brembos & found the front and rear calipers FULLY rebuilt for $1300. They come painted ANY color you want & look pretty much new. I got ASC to paint the calipers gold but decided to paint them the same color as my car(silverstone) after I got them. Looks stunning...

So my recommendation is buy a cheaper F+R BBK set-up(such as the Brembos in that link) & get them BLACK so they match your car.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Robs_350Z

Great info and a serious budget savings.

After a solid week of late night searching almost every night, I've refined my suspension to BC coilovers and a stoptech/brembo BBK. If I do 6 piston, I'll probably be more of a cosmetic upgrade. But its nice to know they'll be there when I start shooting for big drag times and the twice a year at road america. Topping the car out then getting on the brakes gets a little scary up there. I drag my cars more then anything else only because great lakes drag is so much closer. I may not be the best driver but it's all fun.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still like Yellow brakes period, but prolly not with those rims
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Robs_350Z

yeah.....yellow really wouldn't work with my setup
Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

blue. since you dont have time attack wheels or any other colors, dont limit yourself to 'hot' colors like red or variations of gold. 'cool' colors are way underplayed in BBKs, and look stellar on black Zs. If i end up deciding to sell my CTSV and get another black Z, i will most certainly go for blue, and its beautiful IMO. here are some pics behind dark silver wheels like yours.
blue from alliance:

blue from rotora:
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Robs_350Z

I love the blue against the color of your car but I'm afraid of introducing a new color to my setup, bad enough the red barely goes.

To those who still might be chiming in, what do you think of chrome against the black paint and volk grey/polished lip? I really didn't think much of it untill I paged through the BBK picture sticky. Kind of looks promising. But it's very fresh in my mind. Could hate it in a day or two....

Last edited by Robs_350Z; 06-08-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
knils

ehh I don't really care for the chrome, I agree with mike about the cooler colors. That or black, would look super clean, I always vote for the cleaner look
Old 06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Robs_350Z

That's the thing about black, it'll always look that much more toned down... Having said that, I'm not saying chrome is something I want but on the black it would work with the polished lips as an accent. Having a black car, I'm always trying to push the envelope without going over board. There was a part of me that was going to go with the Volk TE in bronze and go down a whole different road. Anyways, Black is most likely my strong choice followed by red. Going to think chrome over.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by knils
ehh I don't really care for the chrome, I agree with mike about the cooler colors. That or black, would look super clean, I always vote for the cleaner look
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
knils

yesss see that black is so sexy, you want that subtle accent behind your graphite/gunmetal looking finish on your rims. Couple that with the black on your car, and some black lugs to tie everything together... just straight sexy. I hear you about wanting to push the envelope.. but at the end of the day you will appreciate it flowing so much better than just having an "in your face bold" type accent.. and another plus is the dust doesn't show as much

yo mike pm me about that alliance kit if you can, I want some details is it still part sponsor only?

Last edited by knils; 06-08-2009 at 10:31 PM.