Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

humming sound for a sec, and brake squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default humming sound for a sec, and brake squeaking noise

when i start the car, and shift the gear to D and start moving slowly, i get a humming sound for a second and goes away.. i don't hear it after that, or while taking turns or anything, but if i switch off the car for couple of hours, and re-do the same process ^, i get to hear the sound again. never knew what it was.

another thing, (i had a squeaking noise when i hit the brake lightly).. so, after taking my car for service/maintenance @ 20k km, they replaced the brake pads and did facing to the disc, but i still hear the squeaking sound when i step on the brakes lightly. i asked the dealer to check it again (and i assume they did), and they told me that's nothing's wrong with it.. till today, i don't know what the hell is wrong.

i never thought i'd get so many issues.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

The hum is probably a thin film of rust on your rotors being ground off by the brake pads. I have this sometimes also, and is normal. Depending on the climate, the film can develop after just a few hours.

Don't get so bent out of shape with your brake squeak. Your brakes are fine (most likely didn't need servicing in the first place), and at most just need a heavier application of anti-squeal to the pad shims and other applicable brake components. Even then, depending on the pad compound, they will still make noise under certain conditions.

Edit: Don't forget to perform a bed-in of the new pads and rotor surfaces. This is critical to a wholesome (and quiet) braking experience.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

Last edited by guitman32; 06-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thnx for the input..

i usually take the car to the dealership, it's really hard to trust any mechanic here, and i never worked on brakes.

and btw, i just noticed today that i'm running an odd tire on the front!

stocks on a 2006 are:

225/45/R18 Front
245/45/R18 Rear

the driver front side is running 245/45/R18, which is totally weird..

i bought this car used, and it was barely used (6k miles), and i did a CarFAX before buying it, which was a clear title and perfectly fine. now i'm starting to discover alot of defects/faults/odd things in this car.