Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

coilover rear perch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coilover rear perch

I just have a specific question about the bottom perch in the rear on my coils and I figure I will get an accurate and fast response here.

In my setup the shock and spring are seperate, and the rear shock body is threaded and the bottom perch screws on and is locked by a single locking collar. This is the first set of coilovers I have owned that include this feature on the rear shock like this. If the seperate adjustable spring perch controls the height, what is the point of having the shock body length adjustable like that and what is the proper position of the perch for the best results? Should I screw it on all the way, or half way, or does it even matter? I feel like if I make it too long it will always be heavily compressed and too short having the opposite effect.

If someone could just explain to me the point, and what the proper position is I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks! -Mat
Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM
davidmcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're supposed to adjust the shock body length relative to the spring perch adjustment, so the answer is you adjust both.

IF I'm not mistaken, the way to do this is to:

a) install the rear springs using the spring perch's to set the ride height
b) put a jack under the rear mid link and compress the spring slightly
c) adjust the shock body length to match
(pay attention to the settings so you can set the opposite side to the same length)

this allows you to have a small amount of preload on the spring and maintain the full range of travel with the shock as well

Last edited by davidmcc; 06-26-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
knils

Thanks a ton, just one small question about that procedure, technically the shock length is changed by two things, one being the adjustable perch and the other being the extension or compression of the damper itself so it brings me back to the original problem of where exactly it should go, lol. For example couldn't the perch be placed an inch lower and the damper just extended out another inch and it would be the same length? How do I know which length to thread the perch to and how far to extend the damper why couldn't it just be a solid body
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
davidmcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess they didn't come with instructions?

It's my understanding (and let me stress that I am no suspension expert) that you want to have the damper fully extended and then adjust the shock body to line up with the mounting points.

this is after you've used the spring perch to set the ride height and compressed the spring slightly like I mentioned earlier.

If you want to be certain you could maybe try to PM any of the guys from Z1. Through reading some of their posts they seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if I am following you correctly, you want want to set your height via the adjustable perch for the spring. Then take the amount you threaded it, and translate that to the damper itself. This should (depends on your coilover, so I can't speak for all of them) ensure that the stroke of the damper matches the the spring, thus avoiding unecessary droop, or preload
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
knils

Thanks for the responses guys, so to put it short nine threads down on the spring perch (~1") will be equivalent to threading the perch 9 threads or ~1" on the shock body? I think I will try this out and see how it matches up, thanks again.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Your running true coil over right?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak