Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

My stoptechs are making me sad! St-45 pad help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Blackmouf2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stoptechs are making me sad! St-45 pad help needed

Since I bought my Stoptechs I've been a happy customer until recently....... (Edit: I'm a happy customer again!!!)

My current setup is:
Red 4pot St-40 355mm cross-drilled Front
Axxis Ultimate Pads P#: 109.06090

Red 4pot St-45 355mm cross-drilled Rear
Textar pads P#: 993-351-939-01

Problem: (Edit: FIXED!)

Where I need(ed) help: I have replacement pads for the front, if needed, but all I'm looking for is a quiet street pad to run in the rear St-45 calipers.

Please read on for further detail.

Lately Ive been getting this annoying squeal from the rear and I'm finding it to be a common problem amongst Stoptech owners (at least the ones I've read about). The problem isn't common for those who track their cars or auto cross but for people who bought their stoptechs as a show piece and are daily driven.

On average, I only put 120-200 miles per month on my car. I've called Stoptech and talked to Pat and Eugene. They recommended I first try and rebed in the brakes. Done it and only helped for a few miles. Next they recommended I chamfer the pads. The pads already come pre-chamfered so I had my neighbor try to see what else was possible........ Small Chamfer and a few miles later, the noise is back. CNC pad quiet was highly disregarded by them so I skipped that step.

A few days ago I talked to a guy at Stoptech (can't remember his name) and we came to the conclusion that the pads I'm using in the rear aren't suited for my driving style. As he described, and don't quote me on this, since the piston design of the stoptech calipers are offest piston sizes which are made for better continually braking performance and not stop and go braking, I'm never quite heating up the brake system like I'm supposed to and using it to its full potential. In order for my Stoptechs to stop squealing, I have to warm up the pads as if they were track pads.

This is the pad shape for the st-40 caliper (standard FMSI D372)

This is the pad shape for the st-45 caliper (standard FMSI D609)

Obviously different. So far the only replacement pads Stoptech listed are their Textar pads which are OEM porsche replacements. With Stoptech using the same pads as porsche cars, you would think there would be more options but unfortunately they only recommend what they carry (typical).

Any, please anyone with stoptechs please chime in. Never been much of a problem until I have a passenger in the car and turn my music down. Now it's driving me nuts.

Thanks for the help and reading my long post.

Last edited by Blackmouf2002; 07-17-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

ttt
Old 07-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Blackmouf2002

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
ttt
Thanks. Same problem?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Just get the POSI Quiets as listed in my write-up, and be done with it. They won't be the same model number I have, being I have the 2-POT rears. The place I purchased my pads will tell you what pad part number you need...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Blackmouf2002

They for the info. I was hoping you would chime in. Well the problem is the posi quiets arent listed under the stoptech replacement guide for the caliper but the part number and FMSI number match with the posi quets for the st-40. I'm sure they'll fit but I want some confirmation.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blackmouf2002
They for the info. I was hoping you would chime in. Well the problem is the posi quiets arent listed under the stoptech replacement guide for the caliper but the part number and FMSI number match with the posi quets for the st-40. I'm sure they'll fit but I want some confirmation.
Call this guy up. He's very knowledgable and will lead you in the right direction, with regards to what pad part# you need. He's who I purchased mine from...

https://my350z.com/forum/members/80157-paulgt2.html
Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Blackmouf2002

Originally Posted by vo7848
Call this guy up. He's very knowledgable and will lead you in the right direction, with regards to what pad part# you need. He's who I purchased mine from...

https://my350z.com/forum/members/80157-paulgt2.html
Thanks for the contact. I'm assuming his name is Paul, right?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
VO...
Administrator

You asume correct...
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Blackmouf2002

UPDATE: problem diagnosed!! In fact, it wasn't my rear pads that were squeaking at all. When I would come to a stop, the echo from the screech would reflect off of the cars parallel to me and I had mistaken it for my rear pads. After washing my car, my brakes were really loud (possibly due to the cold water making the pads cold). I had someone reverse the car and then brake so I could see once and for all if it was my fronts or rears.

Solution: I switched out my front Axxis Ultimate pads with Posi Quiet Ceramic pads and now I experience...... silence :biggthumpup: My textars are in fact silent and I haven't heard anything from the rear at all!

After a little research, I found that Axxis Ultimates can be known for squeaking. They are great pads and the initial bite is great but I'd rather have quiet over semi-track performance. The Posi Quiets initial bite is not as grippy as the Axxis Ultimates but they'll suffice for all the street driving that I do. Also, less brake dust!!!

Thanks for reading!! BTW, I still haven't found another pad for the rear. I'll just stick with the Textars since they aren't causing any trouble. Stoptech couldn't even recommend another pad if they tried.

First post fixed...
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 AM
drsifu

good to hear that things are fixed.

pad selection is limited for the ST-45 caliper. if you ever need to change them out, pelicanparts.com has the textar pads.