Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strut Bar Expert Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:11 PM
CentsLess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Bar Expert Needed!!

Hello All! I am new to the forum and in need of technical advice. I have a 2004 350z with the Skunk2 Plenum Spacer installed. Unfortunately, I had a shop install the part and hand the strut bar back stating it didnt fit. I went ahead and tried to shim it after doing a little research. The results were not great and I would rather have a replacement bar.
Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket bar out there that fits "over" the manifold……..without having to "notch" the hood……?? I have seen the APS Tough Boy and have the Stillen in my garage. I would rather retain the engine cover and cut as little metal as possible.
Please let me know what you have seen or been successful with personally.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentsLess
Hello All! I am new to the forum and in need of technical advice. I have a 2004 350z with the Skunk2 Plenum Spacer installed. Unfortunately, I had a shop install the part and hand the strut bar back stating it didnt fit. I went ahead and tried to shim it after doing a little research. The results were not great and I would rather have a replacement bar.
Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket bar out there that fits "over" the manifold……..without having to "notch" the hood……?? I have seen the APS Tough Boy and have the Stillen in my garage. I would rather retain the engine cover and cut as little metal as possible.
Please let me know what you have seen or been successful with personally.

Thanks in advance.
If you insist on keeping the Skunk2 plenum spacer... Then the APS or Stillen strut tower bars are your only options that will fit with it.

Personally... I think you would be better off with the PowerLab 3/8" spacer instead. It makes good power, will allow you to keep your stock strut tower bar (or an aftermarket STB of your choice), and will allow you to keep the stock engine cover (if that's important to you).

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 07-19-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
BlueZ33

so you werent able to use spacers or washers to raise the strut bar slightly above the plenum
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueZ33
so you werent able to use spacers or washers to raise the strut bar slightly above the plenum
I think raising the stut tower bar above the Skunk2 5/8" spacer or Motordyne 1/2" spacer will cause rubbing with the hood. I believe 3/8" is the largest you can go on a spacer with a STB on top of the plenum without having interference issues with the hood.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 07-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
BlueZ33

oh i see, i dont know anything about the skunk 2 setup, i went with kinetix on my 03 i had
Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM
bluelineshooter

I had the same problem. I had to get an 07-08 hood.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
orgasm_donor

My Cusco bar fit nicely over my motordyne 5/16 spacer with some room to spare. Its a very thin bar and looks amazing.

*not my car:
Name:  IMGP3379.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  81.3 KB
Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
CentsLess

Thanks for all the responses. I will look into the Cusco and then weigh out other options. If I didnt have to eat the cost of the install and the potential re-tune, I would toss that skunk and start over.
Its just another lesson learned in doing my own thorough research instead of trusting in a shop that claims to be an expert. No offense to all the people that do great work and stand by it. The problem I have is with the people that talk a talk without walking the walk. Now I have a minor issue that I am trying to correct.
I will keep checking in for any other suggestions.