Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tanabe GF210's + Tokico D-Spec or Bilstein HD shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Tanabe GF210's + Tokico D-Spec or Bilstein HD shocks

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which shocks would work better with GF210 springs. Anyone use either setup before? The Bilsteins are more expensive but if they work much better than the D specs are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ssssssseeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrcccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...nabe-gf-s.html
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Phenom
Toasty

I've already read that thread before making this one. There's not much talk about the bilsteins in there, it's mostly about the tokico blues vs Dspecs. I was looking for information from people who have use one or both of the combinations I am considering.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your taking shock choice more seriously then your spring choice? I'm glad to see you considering the Bilstien shock, but spring choice does matter. I mean I get it when guy's buy on looks and blind reviews. But, your spring choice should be what you nail first, then shocks. IMO, your choice in spring show's you haven't really looked into things carefully. Their are better choices in 1" drop spring then the GF210.

The Tokico shock and spring kit comes to mind, a better spring and it's matched to the D-spec shock.

Eibach Pro-kit also comes to mind.

Tanabe GF210 Series 350Z progressive springs 1”/1.2”
Spring rates in LBS 336/375

Tokico 350Z D-spec shock & spring package Kit part# DSK512
Spring rates 375/375 Linear Springs 1"/1.5" (springs only are available for sale without the shocks)

Eibach 350Z progressive springs 1”/1”
Spring rates in LBS 384/421 (softer inital rates avaliable on request)

Guys running the Bilstein shocks here are extreamly rare. I would be stunned if a owner offered imput. Looking at some very simply spread sheets that are pretty cryptic compaired to a shock dyno, still it's better then nothing, they look pretty good. Unlike the Pss9/10 coilover, the HD shock does not have the issue of having too much mid and high speed damping when those coilovers are turned up.

D-specs aren't bad either, though the Bilstein's are going to be valved a little differently.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Phenom
Toasty

thanks for help g sedan. I've spent a decent amount of time checking out which springs are right for what I'm looking for, and I've talked to several people who have used the gf210's and they seem to be pretty close to what I want. Particularly the ride quality and height. I've seen a Z lowered on eibach pro kit springs right next to a Z on gf210s and the gf's are at least a full inch lower. The eibach Z looked only a quarter of an inch, maybe half an inch at most lower than mine which is completely stock suspension. Eibach just isnt low enough for me.

The reason I'm asking is because if the bilsteins are clearly the way to go, then I feel like I might as well go with a set of coilovers since the price is already gonna be close to $1k, not including installation. I can go with a brand new set of H&R coilovers for $1350 installed at a shop nearby.

However if the D-specs work nicely when combined with the GF's, then the overall price of that setup isn't high enough to push me to spend the extra money for coilovers.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a bit of history. I've only driven on a stock setup and what I am running now, so i have some but little feedback for you.

I am currently on pro-kit + tokico d's and honestly, i'd wish I had chosen linear springs up front. I believe Whiteline and RSR make linear springs with 1" drop up front.

The ride is very comfy, i'd argue more comfortable than stock (rear's initial rate is significantly softer than stock). But when it comes down to getting crazy, the progressive nature keeps me unbalanced.

Not really sure what you mean by "Eibach just isn't low enough for me". There is a hair line gap between my wheel and fender. The springs settle a lot lower than you think.

As for the dampers themselves, I think they are great. No regrets so far. Having the ability to fine tune the suspension is great and I am still trying to get the suspension right. I have a work log of different settings if you're interested and I can supply those upon request.

All in all, if you have the money, just buy a set of coilovers. Something tells me you'll want more.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by vtchang
Just a bit of history. I've only driven on a stock setup and what I am running now, so i have some but little feedback for you.

I am currently on pro-kit + tokico d's and honestly, i'd wish I had chosen linear springs up front. I believe Whiteline and RSR make linear springs with 1" drop up front.

The ride is very comfy, i'd argue more comfortable than stock (rear's initial rate is significantly softer than stock). But when it comes down to getting crazy, the progressive nature keeps me unbalanced.

Not really sure what you mean by "Eibach just isn't low enough for me". There is a hair line gap between my wheel and fender. The springs settle a lot lower than you think.

As for the dampers themselves, I think they are great. No regrets so far. Having the ability to fine tune the suspension is great and I am still trying to get the suspension right. I have a work log of different settings if you're interested and I can supply those upon request.

All in all, if you have the money, just buy a set of coilovers. Something tells me you'll want more.
The Z I saw with eibach springs definitely wasnt as low as yours. It seriously looked completely stock, and someone even said they thought for a second it was higher than mine which is stock. 1 inch to 1.5 inches is all I'm looking for, and this Z was definitely didn't lower that much, and I'm sure they were on there long enough to fully settle. If the fender was even or very close to the top of the tire, that would be perfect.

Maybe I'll just avoid the headache of trying to dial in the perfect springs to get the exact drop I'm looking for and just get the adjustable coilovers.