Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bring your car at the next meet lixam, i wanna see it slammed
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

i've had my stances for about 6 months now. decent ride quality. i've had the car lowered to about where the fender reaches the top of the wheel, and the ride quality was fantastic for the amount of drop. no noise whatsoever.

needed more suspension travel so i raised my car for track purposes and the ride quality is about the same. my current "stance" is now 1 1/2 fingers between fender and top of tire.

on the track i run med-med soft all around and it gives great grip in the corners with predicable body roll. dialing the settings towards stiff, and body roll can be much less but i have less front end grip. - camber settings -2 all around.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
lixam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish man..ill be goin home to cali for the next three weeks so my car will be chillin..

but id say middle december ill bring her out to the meet...alot of stuff other than the stances is happening...nothing too crazy though just small things..
and yea ill be rockin the lmgt4's like no other
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Scott@TougeFactory
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
2 inch drop and ride quality cannot be used in the same sentence. You don't want noise and a 2 inch drop LOL , you going to hear everything , especially when you won't have JACK for suspension travel.
I don't really see a correlation between ride height and road noise. Unless you mean scraping on certain things. Also since Stance coilovers are dual height adjustable, lowering the car properly doesn't effect piston travel. By lowering the damper itself and not the spring perches, your able to have the same travel at a 1" drop or a 4" drop, the only disadvantage to putting your OEM bumper on the ground is a screwy suspension geometry under compression.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
madpanda

I got and installed the GR+ true type a couple of months ago.
They are o.k. for the price. They are comfortable enough for a DD, and stiff enough for some spirited driving, but they are noisy.
If all your looking for is a drop than these are it.
But if you have the money I would get something better.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Toby-22

Just installed mine, set it to 10clicks back and front and i must say im very impressed. Ride is smooth and i have no noise. PERFECT

Stance GR+ FTW
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM
singh

what does it mean when people say oem style and true type?? which one is better?

how can you adjust the dampening and ride height?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM Style you still use the rear spring bucket (seperate shock, and spring location), true type is coilover that does not use the oem spring bucket(shock and spring all in 1).
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott@TougeFactory
By lowering the damper itself and not the spring perches, your able to have the same travel at a 1" drop or a 4" drop, the only disadvantage to putting your OEM bumper on the ground is a screwy suspension geometry under compression.
Just wondering how the extra area above the tire magically appears? When suspension bottems out (full up travel ) the tire is nearly touching, now if you lower the shock body to retain you shock travel, WHERE DOES THE TIRE GO?

Also shock travel means nothing if your hitting hard parts on the ground, doesn't really do anything for you once the chassis bottoms , but with your flawed theory the added up travel will still help.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Scott@TougeFactory
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just wondering how the extra area above the tire magically appears? When suspension bottems out (full up travel ) the tire is nearly touching, now if you lower the shock body to retain you shock travel, WHERE DOES THE TIRE GO?

Also shock travel means nothing if your hitting hard parts on the ground, doesn't really do anything for you once the chassis bottoms , but with your flawed theory the added up travel will still help.
flawed theory?... I'm not really sure what your trying to say. Stating facts is not considered a "theory"
Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Scott@TougeFactory
flawed theory?... I'm not really sure what your trying to say. Stating facts is not considered a "theory"
Lets say you lower the car 2 inches , then thread the shock body down 2 inches to make up for the loss of travel when you lowered it. Now here is the deal, with stock up travel your upper control arms nearly contact the chassis at full up travel , you tire nearly touches with full up travel. WHERE DOES THE TIRE AND SUSPENSION GO. I'm sure you didn't cut out the inner fender well for added up travel or the tire , not cut the strut tower for added travel on the upper control arm.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Toby-22

hey i slammed the crap out of my Z with the stance gr+ and now everytime i hit a big dip or pothole i hear this loud THUD or SNAP, what the hell is that lol.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
black_03

^^^ Something that isn't good lol...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
SuperBlack350z

the only thing i notice about stance coilovers that i don't like is that when you are coming down the road, it's bouncy as hell, especially when you are going slow in parking lot. looks like one of those mexican trucks that wasn't lowered correctly...or a honda civic with cut springs.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
the only thing i notice about stance coilovers that i don't like is that when you are coming down the road, it's bouncy as hell, especially when you are going slow in parking lot. looks like one of those mexican trucks that wasn't lowered correctly...or a honda civic with cut springs.
then get some Stech springs fool
Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
SuperBlack350z

lol
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
RRMikey

i've seen some pretty good slam on stance coilovers. they do go really low if you wanted to. at the same time i know a lot of them make noises, even with the "newer" ones.

my question is... if you dop your z 2 inches, you are going to tuck more than a little bit of tire. but i really have nothing to compare it to. all i know is that when i had the eibach sportlines (1.2 in drop) my tires were even with the fenders, no gap. i have the greddy type-s coils, with the rear all the way down, it's about the same height as the sportline springs. the front i adjusted to the same also. i had the car with close to a 2 inch drop all around (by taking off the rear upper spring mount lock collar), it was not driveable. i hit bottom on every driveway. it wa sjust a pain.

1.5 inch drop is pretty much no gap. i agree with scott@tougefactory. no matter how low, you have full shock travel. but too low you will hit the inside fender with your tire. so jpe22 is right also.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 AM
ALO8

is there a difference in the oem vs true type as far as lowering and or ride height? If I go with the true type, is there no spring in the oem spring perch...so it would be empty right?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
RRMikey

^ yes... it would just be empty. i don't really see a difference between the oem type vs the true type. pretty much just how the setup of the spring/shock is all the difference i see. lowering/ride heights should be pretty much the same for the oem/true types... if you are talking about the stance coils since they do give you the option of oem vs true type.

for the true type... probably easier to install/uninstall. you just have to remove one bolt. oem type you have to remove two bolts to get the suspension changed out, one for the spring and one for the shock.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by RRMikey
1.5 inch drop is pretty much no gap. i agree with scott@tougefactory. no matter how low, you have full shock travel. but too low you will hit the inside fender with your tire. so jpe22 is right also.
Full shock travel with no room to use it. I guess that helps, don't know what it helps.

Quick Reply: STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.