Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.

so i'm going with a different look on my Z for next year. I'm trying to slam my car. It seems Stance coilovers does this at a reasonable price. I'm not trying to break the bank but i do have some requirements that hopefully some of you can help me with.

- Decent ride quality even at a 2" drop

- i really don't want the coilovers to make any noise, little stuff like that bothers me

- shocks won't mess up in a few years.

I'm looking to drop my car a good amount but no where near retarded looking. i like good handling i know that the ride can be stiff but i really don't want it to be bouncy as hell or anything like that. I don't want to cheapen the car's look by bouncing down the road and looking like an idiot.

Also i have heard some noise problems with these coilovers. has there been a permanant fix for this?

My choices are Stance GR+, Stance GR+ pro, Stance GR+ pro SSD and Stance LX+

i was leaning towards the GR+pro true coilover style set up. But i've seen on the site that the LX rides better. Does the LX+ still go low though?

I'm open to other coilover choices but my main goal hopefully is to go low and get a decent ride and mileage out of them.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

how aggressive is a 2" drop? Will that tuck the tires or just lower it to right where the tire starts.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
SuperBlack350z

should be a slight tire tuck..VERY SLIGHT. i'm not trying to tuck any tires, i still want it to look sporty.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Stance GR+, and honestly, I haven't ridden in the LX's, but they are supposed to be much more comfortable and I would assume they're less noisy like the GR+'s.
If you are only DD'ing the car and aren't seeing any track time, i'd go for the LX's.
But if you think you may track the car every once a while, I'd grab a set of GR+'s.
They both give the same drop IIRC

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
SuperBlack350z

thanks for the input 350zeeeee. how do you like your gr+? do they ride decent? are yours the oem set up or a true type? also, how is the noise? what is your complaints?

i might have to take a look at the lx though.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just found out the LXs dont go as low as the GR+. But all the stance lineup go real low, i think the 2'' drop u want should be attainable with the LX but still retain a comfortable/quiet ride vs the GR+/Pro.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 PM
nismo542

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just installed a set of the gr+ oem style i got from theshaddix. i have only ptu about 30 miles on them so far and the ride is great.

i dropped 1.25 all around and that is just enough to tuck the tip of the tire and no scrubbing on 07 nismo. i have the dampening set 2 8of15 but may go to 10of15 tomorrow.

absolutely no noise at all. you wouldnt even know there where aftermarket suspensio excempt for a better ride. i noticed a huge difference fro the nismo suspension, not as bouncy on the usual bump i hit everday going to work.

the construction is very good and they are super solid.

as far as shock life, i am guessing the lower you go and the stiffer you run the shocks, the shorter life span they will have.

i am really happy with them so far.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also be getting some Stance coilovers soon. From all the reviews I read on here, and the Stance website, I think I'll be going with the GR+'s
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Toby-22

my stance GR+ should come in late next week. Ill be the test dummy lol
Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
M3ANMACHINE

I like my Stance's, true type, btw. Only complaint I have is that I think one of dampers needs to be replaced, so it's making lots of noise. But that's probably because it's the older model GR+. My buddy has the newer GR+'s and they're super quiet!!!
As for ride quality and handling, I think it's the best for the money without a doubt.
I have one almost bald rear tire, and it still feels like its riding on rails!

P.S. I did a short review on them. Just search my SN
Old 10-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
I like my Stance's, true type, btw. Only complaint I have is that I think one of dampers needs to be replaced, so it's making lots of noise. But that's probably because it's the older model GR+. My buddy has the newer GR+'s and they're super quiet!!!
As for ride quality and handling, I think it's the best for the money without a doubt.
I have one almost bald rear tire, and it still feels like its riding on rails!

P.S. I did a short review on them. Just search my SN
Thanks for sharing man

btw i found a DIY that can eliminate the noise from the older/newer designs. Somewhere here but too lazy to look lol. Pretty much you cut something out to go between the top of the coilover on top of where you would bolt it on. KInda like a gasket if that makes sense.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:47 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Originally Posted by JPE22
Thanks for sharing man

btw i found a DIY that can eliminate the noise from the older/newer designs. Somewhere here but too lazy to look lol. Pretty much you cut something out to go between the top of the coilover on top of where you would bolt it on. KInda like a gasket if that makes sense.
Ya, thanks. I know what you mean about that DIY, nut i did that, and it's still making the noises... I have come to the conclusion that either the damper needs to be replaced, i'm somehow rubbing even though i can't see it, or a part of the frame is hitting my HKS exhaust... Annoying as hell!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

2 inch drop and ride quality cannot be used in the same sentence. You don't want noise and a 2 inch drop LOL , you going to hear everything , especially when you won't have JACK for suspension travel.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM
black_03

Superblack, what are the price ranges on these? I'm looking into purchasing my susp. maybe we could find someone to make a deal on 2 sets. My idea set-up sounds similar to how you wanna go.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by black_03
Superblack, what are the price ranges on these? I'm looking into purchasing my susp. maybe we could find someone to make a deal on 2 sets. My idea set-up sounds similar to how you wanna go.
pm intensepower they have the best deals right now
Old 10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
Ya, thanks. I know what you mean about that DIY, nut i did that, and it's still making the noises... I have come to the conclusion that either the damper needs to be replaced, i'm somehow rubbing even though i can't see it, or a part of the frame is hitting my HKS exhaust... Annoying as hell!
sucks, let us know if you ever find a fix
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
HATED1

i bought the stance coilovers tru type about a month and a half ago, these are the newer improved models i assume. I have to admit these are some good quality coilovers. I am stock with a nismo lsd and love the stance and driveability. I DD mine and just have problems on some speedbumps of course, but highly reccomend these. I am slightly tucking tire about half and inch front and rear, and for how low these are the ride is great! better than stock, hard to believe. The settings are 9 in front and 7 in the rear. SO far no noise issues, or anything, yet.
Attached Thumbnails STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.-photo0.jpg  

Last edited by HATED1; 10-10-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 AM
black_03

Originally Posted by JPE22
pm intensepower they have the best deals right now
Thx!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
lixam

they make some noise...i have the newer ones and yes they do clunk a little bit, but its ok i dont mind. lol

2 inch drop thats it? stances are made for dumpage...

and yea the 2inch and ride quality dont really mix anywhere...once you drop the z below 2 inches your fair game for every noise/bump/road disruption ....
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM
lixam

i got the stance gr pro's btw...not the lx's...lx dont go low enough for me

Quick Reply: STANCE coilovers decision. Need some owners to chime in.