Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cutting a hole for rear adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
DunZcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
This is an incorrect explanation.

What you are describing (I am guessing, judging on your use of 'added dimension'), is called ''chamfering" and it differs from simply cutting holes in the metal in that a specific chamfer tool/machine is used after the hole is cut to bevel the edge, which is what gives the hole structural strength, often times greater than the raw sheet metal.

The only time basic holes are cut into sheet metal and left that way is when the piece is non-structurally important, non-load bearing. So yes, adding holes to an already un-boxed rear cross brace will be noticeable. Therefore, the smaller, the better.

notice every hole is chamfered (this piece is a structural gusset):

And the weight he would save from drilling two holes in the rear brace would be akin to not driving with socks on; useless.
If that is true why are there braces and roll cages have holes slotted in them. I did it to mine and my Z is braced up. I also have the stance true coilovers. there is no difference that you could notice on a track. I haven't. I do plan of getting a cage in the near future though. and to two holes that I drill weighted 12 oz a piece. so not real weight loss just easier to adjust and not need to bring tools or have extenders. I should say that my rear end is gutted to so if you want to keep the oem look just get the extenders

Last edited by DunZcon; 10-21-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
08EG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did cutting this hole make the suspension "clunk" even louder?

I was actually thinking of filling that cavity up with expanding foam as the clunk is making me insane.