Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hawk HPS Street/Sport Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:06 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk HPS Street/Sport Pads

I just ordered these pads(fronts only). The stock pads are worn! Only 12400miles(normal driving). Pads do really suck! I never had so much dust from brakes. They say Hawks stop better and much less dust. But I want to know from real experience..Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Brakes, No dust, you will be amazed.

Squeaks a little though!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
SungNamZ

Hawk HPS Pads are Great ! Use to wash "Z" just to clean the wheels. Can't tell you how many bottles of wheel/tire cleaner used. Now, "No Dust"! Just returned from a 400 mile, 1 day round trip, A lot of bugs, but no dust! They stop better also!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:25 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Ron, does yours squeak? Mine squeaks when I am coming to a slow stop. Right at 5 mph and slower. Did you bed yours?
Old 10-23-2003, 07:37 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine squeeks too, but just the FR corner, and i've tried bedding a couple times....kinda annoying

i think i'll try out the nismo r-tune pads for the fronts
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I run Hawk HP+ pads at the track...and while they grab like hell they dust a ton and make a ton of noise...plus the dust will ruin your wheels if it gets wet and stays on the wheels....but they are race pads...so I'd assume the HPSs would be better. Let us know!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:50 PM
RacerX

The difference in brake dust is night and day. The stock rears never really dusted and with the Hawk HPSs, the fronts stay as clean as the rears.

I haven't had any real problems with squeaking with the Hawks.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:07 AM
little_rod

Well, I have over 5000 miles on my Hawks, and they do squeak every so often. I rather have the squeak than black wheels every two days. Maybe it is my imagination (maybe I don't remember how bad the stock pads were), but they seem to dust more now than when I first got them. Since I have polished lips, I can see it more now, also. They do let off a redish dust, which is a bit better than black.

I will probably try another brand when I change them next, just to see if they are any better. Plus, since they don't come for the rears, I will have to find some that replace both the front and rear brakes.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:54 AM
jckolnturn

Where can i order them and how much? I just got new wheels and i hate the brake dust from my stock pads.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 AM
02trex

I've been able to get 5 driving days on my newly installed Hawk pads (front and rear). There is very little dust present, and compared to the factory brakes after 5 days...well, I never made it 5 days without washing the car because the wheels looked like they were gunmetal with the factory pads!! Tremendous difference!!

As for stopping power, they are just fine, but do not have the grabby feel of the factory brakes. Some do not like the grabbiness, but I did, so I miss it.

I bedded the brakes but they squealed very loud for the first couple of days, in heavy traffic, slowing from 5-10 mph. Over the last three days, they have quieted. Considering the factory brakes on my car had the same squeal (albeit less) I am not too aggrevated.

I purchased mine from tirereack.com. One more note, the fronts were a PITA to get on; I had to literally force them onto the caliper.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:21 AM
jaxxxx

can any1 post how to replce the pads on a g35c?? I want to change my own breaks
Old 10-24-2003, 07:51 AM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by zand02max
Ron, does yours squeak? Mine squeaks when I am coming to a slow stop. Right at 5 mph and slower. Did you bed yours?
zand02max, only at 5mph when coming to a slow stop. I did bed mine. The sqeak is not all the time. Will take it over the dust anytime!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
jckolnturn

I wonder if their performance maybe off from stock since they lack the grabbiness? what do you guys that are running them think?
Old 10-24-2003, 09:20 AM
little_rod

Don't think the brake performance decreased any. The initial tap-in is a bit better with the stock brakes, but after that, they are the same. I do now remember how awful the dust was when I had the stock brakes, and I will never go back to that, especially with my polished lips now.

I also bedded mine, and it did decrease the squeal. Now they do squeal every so often, but I am not mad about it. They usually squeal when it has been excessively dry for a while.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:31 AM
dollar99

Does anyone have the HPS with Brembos? Man, I bought these pads wanting them to be more grabby then the stock pads. I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm hoping that they will have a bit more bite.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:57 AM
GoSooners

Hey Guys,

I'm a G35 Coupe owner and I bought some EBC Greenstuff brake pads thinking they would fit my car. Well, they DON'T so if anyone is interested, please email me at qmpham@ou.edu if you would like to buy them. They're still packaged, unopened.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:04 AM
GoSooners

Many other guys have used these without traces of dust so that's why I bought them. Performance-wise...it's better as well. There is no squealing, and works well in the cold.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:14 AM
seanrulz

Well, I ordered Hawk HPS from TireRack, and I think I receive the wrong one. I have a track model, which has stock brembo 4-piston caliper, but the pad arrived seems too small and has only two circular spot where the pressures from the pistons are applied. (means that it is probably for 2-piston brake, which is non-brembo model). I don't know why this happened, since I perfectly indicated the pad for 350Z "Track" model... Well, contacted TireRack so they sould take care of this... no biggie tho

By the way, can anybody who has the Hawk HPS with Track Brembo brake system post up the part number if you guys have it? I want to double check to make sure. The part # for the suspected pad I received is: HB181F. 590 D639 Is this the pad for stock brembo for the Track? I doubt it.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:44 AM
spn350z

Originally posted by seanrulz
has only two circular spot where the pressures from the pistons
The four pods are split two per side, hence each pad has two spots. Pads also fit inside caliper so they may appear smaller than the caliper.

Wait to see if someone has the part numbers.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:35 PM
seanrulz

Hmm your claim sounds logical. Since I'm not a expert on car parts and have relatively limited knowledge, I should wait and see what others say.
The main reason I realized why I might got the wrong pad was I also got the Hawk HPS pad for AP-racing 4-piston Brake system on my friend's Lexus IS300(Have to send them out to Korea). They did have 4 spots and certainly bigger than my pad. I'm not sure about any of these but well... let's see

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS Street/Sport Pads