Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Installation DIY (kind-of)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Tiltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Installation DIY (kind-of)

I installed the Apexi EXV N1. They are a 32 way adjustable aluminum coilover. I set the dampening at 8 clicks from soft because my car is a dd. Overall, I am impressed with them. The ride is very similiar to stock (nice and smooth) but is slightly firmer and has a nice improvement over stock in cornering. Here is the stance I got. Not rubbing, haven't scraped or anything either. Installing 20" iforged later this week so hopefully I won't need any adjustments.

I did them myself over the weekend and the install was straight forward as many have said on this site. I referred to a couple of threads that were suggested to others which provided nice instructions with tool lists, pictures, etc. This one is for spring installation on a g35, but everything is identicle for the coilover install on the z :

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...sterday-5.html

Also, I have a couple of tips for others that want to do the install themselves. It took me like 5-6 hours total by myself start to finish including cleanup. I think that I could have done it about twice as fast though if I had given the bolts a spray with wd40 a day or two prior to installation. A lot of time was spent hassling with tight bolts with small hand tools. (1/2" drive breaker bar would have been ideal) There was also several times it would have been nice to have a buddy to manuever the suspension around when removing the front struts and reinstalling the bolts in the rear.

Lastly, when reading around many people suggested it was unneccesary to remove the upper control arm bolt in order to remove the front struts. People suggested turning the wheel to the left or right. While it may be possible to pop the strut out while the wheel is turned, I messed with each side for like 15 minutes and couldn't get arms pushed down enough to move the strut over. After taking the 1 minute or so to remove the front upper control arm bolt I was able to pop the strut out almost immediately.

Overall, I would say this is not a difficult install. If an Oil Change is 1/10 on the difficulty scale. I would say that to do the coilover installation is maybe a2-3/10.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Z_Nick_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely a DIY (kind of) haha. More of like a review. But i appreciate the info since i am supposed to be recieving my coilovers sometime this week

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Tiltz

review is probably a better word. lol
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

How do you know the handling is better? What kind of lap times were you running on stock suspension and how much have your lap times improved with your coilovers. My times actually increased my first time out with mine, then after a day of tweaking i started to improve my times.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Tiltz

Originally Posted by terrasmak
How do you know the handling is better? What kind of lap times were you running on stock suspension and how much have your lap times improved with your coilovers. My times actually increased my first time out with mine, then after a day of tweaking i started to improve my times.
I think you misread. This is a dd... probably won't see the track. Well maybe eventually...lol... But anyways, I just meant it has been more responsive in the corners and tighter overall in aggressive driving. I am running it pretty soft and I am not too concerned with lap times. I wanted it to be managable for daily driving and still improve in handling characteristics. This setup is totally working for my needs.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiltz
I wanted it to be managable for daily driving and still improve in handling characteristics.
Well i'm just saying, you probably didn't improve your handling characteristics. Most people think they did (to include myself till i got out and did testing untill it was tweaked up a bit) , but in all actuality, your car probably handles worse than stock.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
rodneeking85

You may want to look into rolling your fenders too so you don't rub and cut up your tires when you get the new wheels on.