Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

don't want to lower my z too much

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
SoCal-Zzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any coilovers for under $900. I would hate to spend that much but at the same time I would also hate to spend $200 or w/e on springs and then run into problems in a year.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
08nogaroZ

tein basics, k sport, Nex coilovers, godpseed hyper rs, tanabe pro s-oc, megan racing...all are close to $900 and some even lower but just remember you get what you pay for
Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
armintheman

sweet thanks for all the advise guys! i'd like to do coilovers but im not going to be tracking the car so spending that much on coilovers when i'll only adjust them once isnt worth it for me. plus im not slamming the car for it to be so harsh on my stock shocks and struts.
as for the cobb how's the ride comfert and how much is the drop?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To complicate things a little more I would say the Swift Spec R's have a moderately-aggressive stance and feel pretty comfortable with stock shocks. I'd say its a good compromise between the ride and performance for a non-coilover setup. They also have a progressive coil that is soft on the initial travel and progressively gets harder.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
sosojeffcc

Originally Posted by armintheman
i love that setup! hows the ride quality?? and as for the wheels what size and offset are you running? thanks bro that helps alot!
The ride was great! the spring rates are LINEAR rate(one of the few) and are close to stock rates, so won't kill your shocks as quickly. I would recommend the hotchkis in a heartbeat due to the linear rates. Not to mention the drop in the rear is lower than the s-tech's. Most s-tech owners complain that the drop in the rear is too little.

I have since switched over to the Tanabe GF210's which drop the car alot more. They are also a progressive rate spring. The ride is not as good as the hotchkis, and I kno that my shocks will be going out a lot quicker as well.

The wheels are 19x9.5 +12 and 19x10.5 +12. Falken FK452 255/35/19 and 285/35/19.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 AM
sosojeffcc

Just to clarify, here is an excerpt on linear vs. progressive:
There are two types of spring designs: linear and progressive. This refers to their rates as the spring is compressed.

Linear springs have the same spring rate from the initial compression all the way to full compression. If a linear spring is rated at 6.2kg/mm (and lets say its range of movement is 50mm) then it takes 6.2kg to compress the spring from 0mm-1mm and 6.2kg to move it from 49mm-50mm.

A progressive spring will have a softer rate for its first few mm of travel, which then increases as you increase the load on it. Lets say we have a progressive rate spring with the same range of movement as above. While it may only take 4.4kg to move it from 0mm-1mm, it may need 7.1kg to move it from 49mm-50mm.

A progressive rate spring is clearly a compromise between softness for ride and firmness for handling. As such, it is more suited for the street. The softer initial rate gives it better compliance, especially over a low amplitude bump. But once you start loading up the suspension the firmer it becomes, so your flat-out cornering is improved.

A linear rate spring would be a better choice for the track, where you do not need to compromise handling for anything. Consistency in the spring rate gives you a better feel, since the car's weight shift isn't as variable. Since your springs are at maximum stifness, initial response is quicker as the car won't want to lean onto its outside suspension as much before the spring resists the movement and the car starts to turn.

I myself prefer the feel of linear rate springs, but they do sacrifice on initial ride quality. I'm going to take hotchkis and gf210's as an example. The hotchkis definitely felt "stiffer," as in you can feel the little bumps in the road more and you get more of the feel of the road, however, overall it was still very much like stock(which are linear as well). The gf210's feel very mushy, i can barely feel the road. However when hitting bigger bumps, the suspension definitely stiffens up substantially. I have never tracked a car on progressive springs, but I imagine that it may be a little tricky. Some have called it "unpredictable." Something to think about.

Also, most if not all coilovers employ linear rate springs.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just a quick FYI , the hotchkis springs are based off the 03 to 04 spring rates and made to work the the 03 to 04 struts. The Cobb springs are based of the revised 04.5 and newer spring rates and made to work with the revised shocks. I would go Cobb
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
I have never tracked a car on progressive springs, but I imagine that it may be a little tricky. Some have called it "unpredictable." Something to think about.

Also, most if not all coilovers employ linear rate springs.
I can say I didn't have a complaint with the limited track time I have on the progressive Swifts. They were very predictable and if anything could use a little more rear spring rate. I'll more than likely address that when I go to a coilover setup.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with Cobb springs and 25MM spacers all around on stock wheels. It sits great and i can survive LI's horrible roads. But judge by the car lift at my shop it didnt really lower the car much.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
armintheman

sosojeffcc-you've been a huge help! thanks so much! i think i will go with the hotchkis setup, i like the way it looks and i think i should clear the driveway haha. now with that tire size and offset do you have any rubbing issues? and are your wheels and tires flush with the body or do they stick out a little? im really between the 12 offset and 22 offset. maybe a pic from the front would help so i could see how far the wheels stick out. thanks again
terrasmak- thanks for the help as well but do you have any pics of the cobb setup i can see? sosojeffcc is running those springs on the 08 which is the same as my shocks...
ojiggyo- pics please??
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
sosojeffcc

sosojeffcc-you've been a huge help! thanks so much! i think i will go with the hotchkis setup, i like the way it looks and i think i should clear the driveway haha. now with that tire size and offset do you have any rubbing issues? and are your wheels and tires flush with the body or do they stick out a little? im really between the 12 offset and 22 offset. maybe a pic from the front would help so i could see how far the wheels stick out. thanks again
terrasmak- thanks for the help as well but do you have any pics of the cobb setup i can see? sosojeffcc is running those springs on the 08 which is the same as my shocks...
ojiggyo- pics please??
What terrasmak is saying is that the Cobb spring rates are a better match for the 06+ stronger shocks. The previous years' shocks have less dampening, so Hotchkis decreased the spring rate in the rear to accomodate. Will the Hotchkis still work with 06+ shocks? Absolutely! Are they the ideal match? Probably not! I personally didn't mind a lower spring rate in the rear, as comfort was high on my list. But that's not to say that Cobb springs ride horrible or anything either.

About my setup:
The rear fenders are what you have to worry about. My rear fenders are rolled, and it is an absolute must, or else you will rub. Even with a roll, the +12 and 285 combo may still rub, depending on your brand tires and what your camber is like. I happened to get lucky and don't experience rubbing. If you want to be worry free and no roll, get the +22/275 combo. A +22/285 combo will still require a roll in most cases. Here are some more pics of the rear:

Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
armintheman

that looks great! hmm do you think if i did 19x9.5 with 12 offset and 19x10.5 with 22 offset it would look bad or will it look even from the side?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM
armintheman

i mean from the front looking at the side of the car. im basicly wanting to have a flush look but nothing sticking out. i hear the 12 up front is perfect but the rear im worried about. i would rather not roll the rear but if i need to for the look i want then i will.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

ojiggyo- pics please??
Its the same drop as hotchkis, the pics will look the same. Hell if you were to do a 20mm front and 23mm drop with coilovers, IT WILL LOOK THE SAME.