Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Repairing brake piston boots (torn rubber rings)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing brake piston boots (torn rubber rings)

I was inspecting my front brakes today due to some noise and noticed that one of the calipers had a tear around the piston. The tear is pretty bad looks like it needs to be replaced.

I found this part:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...tt=CE143.91013

Anyone know about the level of difficulty in making this fix? Looks like I must remove the piston right? Which means I would need to reflush the fluids as well I'm guessing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM
xben9x

Yeah, that's not a fun job. Were you leaking fluid? I just did it on my Prelude. The piston has to come out. The best solution I found was to put the seal on the back of the piston with the lip that needs to stay in the caliper bore just barely sticking off, and carefully insert it in the bore while pushing the piston back on the spindle. Took me a while. Be careful not to put a hole in it. I'm guessing the lines would need to be bled. I had my brake line off, so I had to. I've never done this on a Z though. I would think the technique would still work.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
solidfish

Ya from what I've been searching on the internet, looks like I have the same procedure. How difficult is it bleeding the brakes? I've never flush brake fluid at home before but seen some of the DIY. Pretty straight forward right?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Bret86944

I did the rear calipers before. Difficulty is so-so. The hardest part of rebuilding a caliper is putting the piston back in with the new boot seated properly.

Bleeding brakes is super easy. You just need someone to pump the brakes when you tell them. Even a girl can do that job.

Google search how to rebuild a caliper and how to bleed brakes. Shouldn't be hard to find a good write-up.

**When unhooking the brake line from the caliper, make sure to plug it so you don't lose too much of your brake fluid. Have a bottle of extra brake fluid on hand, and refill the reservior if it gets low. It's not difficult to do this, but if you lose too much fluid and get air up in your abs system, it's bad news bears.