Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cracked Z1 Rear Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Asterix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
The function of drilling a rotor is only to promote weight reduction. The holes themselves offer no additional advantage as far as improved cooling.
Wrong! There's at least one paper by the SAE that proves this wrong, 2006-01-0691. There's a summary here.

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
The only fully safe and way to manufacture a drilled rotor is to actually cast it with holes in it from the start. Porsche does this and this is why they can warranty their product for track purposes. Obviously, this type of casting is much more expensive which is why their price is "slightly" higher
Wrong again! This is an internet rumor with no evidence ever given. Submit some proof from Porsche and I'll retract my statement.

What causes rotors to crack is overheating them. Look around on this site, especially in the Autocross/Racing section. People have posted photos of slotted rotors that have cracked as well as unmodified rotors that have cracked. In all cases, the rotor was overheated.

If your rotors crack, you need to upgrade to bigger ones or get some big ducts and blow lots more air on them.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
ninjlao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://norcalhondaracing.com/Pics/NS...r_H2_GSR_1.jpg

any rotor can crack, it does not matter if they are slotted, crossdrilled or blanks. And yes it is from overheating them and then having it cool down. It's just constant temperature change from them.

Anyways I don't know about casting the rotors with holes already drilled into them but even those will crack. I have a Porsche Caymen S and yes they cracked.