Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

DBA Rotors on My Coupe! PICS! (56K Die)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 AM
riffster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBA Rotors on My Coupe! PICS! (56K Die)

I coughed up more than a few bucks for great rotors - Disc Brakes Australia rotors - and so far I am very pleased. The real test will come in April when I hit RoadAmerica!

There are differences between the two rotors - obviously the 5000 series front rotor is a 2-piece unit, the 4000 series rear rotor has a different hat to accomodate the G35C's rear brake difference, and the slots on the rears are larger and less in number. But in fundamentals the brakes share the same approach - superior performance in high-temperature situations.

Here 's some pics of them before install while they were sitting in my tuner's shop.

DBA5000 (right) and DBA4000 (right) rotors - thats a Honda CBR600 in the background! Note the 3-step temp sensors on the top of both rotors.

The DBA5000 (left) drilled and slotted rotor close up - all holes are step-drilled to reduce chances of cracking under extreme use.

Nearly everything about DBA rotors is about handling heat and enhancing stopping power under extreme conditions. The surfaces of the rotors are designed to avoid glazing. Even the drilled holes are done in a way so as to minimize the possibility of cracks - a very small hole is first drilled so as to minimize pressure on the rotor metal and then that small hole is progressively enlargened up to the specified size (step-drilling.) Also, the drilled holes on the two sides of the rotor do NOT match up - meaning that a single drilling is not used to go through the inside and outside surfaces of the rotors, further reducing pressure and minimizing the formation of micro-cracks that can get larger under use.

A DBA4000 close up - fewer, larger slots and it is just one piece, but all else is the same as the 5000's - temp sensors, step-drilling, pillar-vane technology for venting and heat-treated rotor surface.

The Thermo-Graphic markings let you know what temperature your rotors are at so you can select the proper pads for your driving style and situation.

The Thermo-Graphic Temperature Monitoring system uses crystals (similar to those used in 'Mood Rings') that change color when subjected to increased temperature. The Green Thermo-Graphic strip turns 'whiter' as it heats, finally turning completely white as it hits 458 Centigrade (856 Fahrenheit.) The Orange strip turns 'yellower' as it heats up, finally turning completely yellow as it hits 550 Centigrade (1022 Fahrenheit.) The Red strip turns 'whiter' as it heats up, finally turning completely white as it hits 630 Centigrade (1166 Fahrenheit.)

I'll post some pics a bit later of the rotors being installed and of them mounted on my coupe. Hope you like 'em!

- Riff
Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 AM
bwzabodyn

very nice - great choice!

can't wait to see pics of the completed project and hear your thoughts on them... I have a chance to purchase some stock Brembo calipers so I'm looking at how much it's going to cost to piece everything together - how much did they set you back?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 AM
riffster

Default MORE PICS! (56K still die)

The install of the rotors didn't take my tuner too long - I could have done it myself, but my back wasn't doing well and I wanted to see a pro do it first before I attempted mods on a crucial area like rotors! Work done very competently at TeamNobleRacing in Glenview, Illinois.

Left front Brembo rotor and caliper prior to install of DBA5000. I am keeping the Brembo rotors as spares. That isn't damage to the caliper - it's salt. Darn Chicago winters!

My tuner Chris Noble puts on the front left DBA5000 - now that I've seen it done, future rotor swaps won't be too hard to do myself.

The DBA500os mounted on the right front - goes pretty nice with the OEM Brembo calipers.

The left rear DBA4000 is mounted. Color with the calipers isn't exact, but it's pretty close. You can see part of the Tein Flex coilovers behind (in green.)

You can see a bit of the 'Kangaroo Paw' pillar-vane technology that is used between side of the two plates of the rotors. The patterns of the pillar vanes promote increased air flow through the rotors, helping to cool them.

You can see the pillar vanes on the DBA4000 rotor - same system, except it's colored gold. Wonder why? Again you can see the Tein Flex coilovers in the background (in green, gold, and dark gray.)

I'll publish one more post with low-res shots (sorry, my digicam died and I had to use my videocam's still foto feature which is only low-res) of the rotors mounted on my coupe.

- Riff
Old 02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

DAMN! Those better be slot slinging brakes cause I bet they cost a shiet load. Let us know how they work out for you.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
riffster

Default PICS of DBA rotors fully installed (lo-res)

Here are still pics taken with my Panasonic Videocam - sorry about the low resolution, I need a new digicam - my trusty HP digicam isn't so trusty anymore and is probably dead.

If I get high resolution ones I will repost later after I get some additional work done (ducting for brakes, maybe one or two other goodies!)

- Riff
Old 02-16-2005, 02:24 PM
isugoo

show us some more pics please.
do you have some pics shows behind wheels?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
riffster

Originally posted by isugoo
show us some more pics please.
do you have some pics shows behind wheels?
I'm not quite sure - but do you mean the back side of the rotors? If so, here's the shots - if not, let me know what you want exactly - I might have it.

Shot of the inner side of a 2-piece DBA5000 rotor (DBA4000 partially out of frame to the right.) The hats are super-light aircraft-quality aluminum. Heck, even the bolts and nuts on the DBA5000's are rated to aerospace standards!

Shot of the inner side of a 1-piece DBA4000 rotor (DBA5000 partially out of frame to the left.) Just like the DBA5000's it uses Thermal Stability Profiling to reduce bedding time, increase lifetime, and withstand repeated heavy braking.

- Riff
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Wicked_Limitz

wow how much where they? pm me
Old 02-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Neo105

is that a honda bike?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Lucino

very nice
Old 02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
daddyz

Do tell how much?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
riffster

Originally posted by Neo105
is that a honda bike?
Lol .... hey, I'm no Honda boy Neo105! (Actually yes, it's a CBR600. Quick as shiet bugger that my tuner owns.)

(Actually my car before the coupe was a Legend .... so I guess I am a bit of a Honda boy! But I've driven more years in Nissans - 240SX, 300Z, heck even a Stanza before I got either the Legend or G coupe!)

Thanks for the compliment Lucino!

daddyz - The cost is NOT cheap - 1200 bucks for the set of four. I think you might work a better deal now with Brake-Pros.com.

Btw, I bought some Pagid 'Blue' compound brake pads (front '1427' and rear '1537') for higher-temp use (faster HPDE's, fast attack/time trial use.) These babies should handle the warmer days at the big track (RoadAmerica) okay. At least I hope so - I don't like the smell of brake pads evaporating!

- Riff