Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Rotors Warped, ABS light on a couple times

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM
TTwinTTurbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotors Warped, ABS light on a couple times

It's been quite some time since I have posted but I have sold the red 350z that I had and now I have a track 350z (2003) that has the brembos. Welllll Being the cheap skate I am my pads wore down and I needed new ones so I ordered some nice pads and put em in on all four corners. Well I didn't turn or replace the rotors thinking that since they were smooth that it wouldn't hurt anything. Well When I took the left read back back out...there were grooves but I put the pads back in anyways.

Well about 2000 miles down the road I start getting some brake shutter at about 45mph up to around 130ish. SO I figured I need to turn the rotors. I have the car on jack stands and the rotors are being turned right now and are gonna be smooth as a babies bottom. My question is...2 times the abs light came on after some hard braking. It went off though after I turned the car of and on. Does this mean that its just because I have warped rotors and that as soon as its smooth again this light wont come on again? Because it only comes on when I'm braking hard at around 90mph or so in spirited driving on back roads that are coned off on my own personal property.

Just curious as to if anybody has had this experience and I dont need any flames about how dadadada you always need to replace or turn the rotors for a brake job, I just figured I'd chance it since I can turn the rotors later for free. Thanks for any input on my situation, I will be checking this forum every 20 minutes or so. Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you check the brake fluid, it could be low. Worn pads can also cause the ABS/Brake light to illuminate.

My prediction is that if the rotors are THAT warped, then by the time you turn them they will be below or close to the minimum thickness and will need to be replaced anyway.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
TTwinTTurbo

Brake fluid is fine, pads are almost brand new. But your prediction could be correct. Hopefully not. I am having them turned soon so they will tell me if they are turnable or not. I think that during that shuddering when the abs light comes on it is making a malfunction happen in the abs system..that's my guess but I'm not a mechanic just have basic knowledge.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess it's possible that severe vibration in the rotors can cause the wheel speed sensors to malfunction and cause the ABS light to illuminate. I've never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in some situations.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
TTwinTTurbo

Yeah that would be crazy. But lol,,It's pretty bad, actually scary when braking from 100 down to 60 if you don't ease into the brake. At least I know that in the worst case scenario new pads and rotors would set me back a couple hundred bucks off ebay. Labor myself and best case scenario free if I can get these rotors turned by the highschool that I use to go to.