Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Considering Bilstein PSS or Koni with custom springs, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Knight
I too am looking into KW V1 but i cannot find any reviews on them on
my350z.com. Im only finding reviews of the V2's. what search criteria did you use? thanks!
Here are some V1 review's, the first owner has the Eibach Pro-S, which is a Kw Variant 1 that eibach relabels and power coats the springs red, same exact thing.

Originally Posted by Tac-M
I do. love them. I have the rebranded ones that are sold as eibach, but they are the same.

At this point I am not a hardcore track junkie, so this setup suits my needs very well. combined with ebaich swaybars, I think my car is very balanced .

On the street , they are simply amazing. huge improvement over stock and just a spring kit without jerkiness and harshness.

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Just installed the V1's.
Short review:
Stiffer than stock, but not the same ride quality. Comparable to GF210s and Stock shocks that aren't blown, but without bottoming out as much. I was hoping the V1s would ride much better than my gf210 / stock shock combo, but they are actually similar in terms of harshness. The car feels much more stable though and handles a lot better then GF210s. Overall for the price of the Variant 1s, they are great entry level coilovers. If you aren't looking to slam the car and want a decent ride with better handling, these are the way to go.

If you are looking to slam the car, look elsewhere. I am almost all the way down in the rear (1 thread away from max recommended drop from the rear) and I have about half a finger gap.

In review aspects, KW variants are highly praised, but IMO the Variant 1s and Tein basics are similar in terms of ride quality and handling. Shock quality and shock dynos between the two I wouldn't know. This is just strictly based on a daily street driven review. But they are both around 500lb spring rates with twin tube shocks..
Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
There isn't a better coil out there for 1200 IMO though..

Not technically a review, but I trust Adam's opinion.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
we've used the V1 - excellent street level unit, works well even for guys who are doing an HPDE here and there. Non adjustable dampening in reality for most, as most of us who have adjustable dampening find a setup and leave it alone. These come preset from KW to give a comfortable ride, but firmer and better planted than stock, with the advantage of having height adjustment
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, thanks for chiming in. This is exactly the thought process that I was going through when I was thinking about replacing the rear springs in the Bilsteins with linear springs. I just need to stay below the max rate of the rears and I should not have issues. From your past explanations, replacing the rears with custom springs seems very easy. For now, I'll install the coils as is and see how they ride. If I really find myself wanting to go to a linear spring, it's easy enough.

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Revalving would only be needed if spring rate does not match damping. Going from progressive to linear in of itself does not mean a revalve would be required. One would simply use common sense and not pick a linear sprng that exceeded the peak rate of the progressive spring being replaced. Given how low the min rates are on the Bilstien and Kw coilovers, owners considering going linear, simply won't be picking rates that low.

Bilstein Pss, Pss9, Pss10
Spring rates 370/240-420 (rear progressive)

KW coilovers Variant's 1,2&3
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pony_killer
can't go wrong with the pss...good choice. are you getting a camber kit?
Absolutely. I already picked up a set of Ichiba camber arms with toe bolts a few months ago in anticipation that I will be replacing the stock shocks and springs. I'll try to install the arms and bolts myself and have a shop do the coilovers. I'd love to do it all myself (have the tools and the place) but all of my spare time is consumed by my kitchen renovation project.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
White.Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks GSedan35 for the research! i appreciate it man