Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:16 PM
JCarney521

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Decision

I'm looking to purchase a set of coilovers and I don't want to spend anymore then around 1200. My car is currently my daily driver. I mainly want the car to feel like its on rails and I want to be able to drop the car to the ground. I've been mainly looking at the Stance GR+ and GR+ pros. I've researched a little about bc coilovers too. any other suggestions would be appreciated or just point me in the right direction
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
blue20051

I was in the same boat as you and went with bc racing type br. Overall im pretty happy with the ride and quality. The total cost was about 1200 with a rear camber kit.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
JCarney521

the only thing bad thing i've heard about the bc's are that the rear doesn't go that low so your limited to how much you can drop the car
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM
w0rM

To me the Stance are the best value in that price range. It's hard to find anyone to say something bad about Stance.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 PM
JCarney521

Yeah I've been kind of set on stance from the beginning but a vendor on the forum was trying to talk me into KW V1's? Told me there are a lot of issues with the stances and personally I've heard nothing but good things? Someone help me out pleaaase
Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Z Infidel

Im in a car club that is filled with Bimmers, Zs, Evos, and STis and a lot of them rock KW V2 on their cars and rave they are the best things around. A few members have also bad mouthed Stance coilovers. I am currently rocking factory POS so I cant really weigh in too much except to say that I'll be purchasing KW V2s but the best I've seen them go for is about $1500.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCarney521
the only thing bad thing i've heard about the bc's are that the rear doesn't go that low so your limited to how much you can drop the car
It lowers it about 2 inches with the standard length rear springs, and more with the optional 'lower' rear springs that they also offer.

Truly slamming a Z makes it handle worse, not better, unless you are willing to put in the time and money to really do it correctly. At a $1200 budget, you're not going to come close to accomplishing that. As for riding on rails, that is highly subjective. Most people, and I mean no disrespect to you as I don't know you, how you drive, the rest of your setup, nor your skill level, but most people could not even come close to driving a bone stock Z (pick your trim level) to it's max potential if they were asked to.

A KW Variant anything (except Clubsports but that is not a V series coilover) will not slam anything...won't even come close

Can't comment on anything Stance does now, though I think I posted info about them back when I used a set once.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting to assume that lowering the Z will result in better handling. Lowering the center of gravity is a suspension design concept. It is a starting not an ending point.

Members do lower the Z. They also post the resulting adverse handling characteristics. Now they will spend more money trying to "fix it."

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
crsracing19

at what point when lowering the z do you start to see adverse affects in your handling considering your alignment and everything is in spec
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Immediately without an alignment.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 PM
crsracing19

i said when everything is in spec but im asking is there a certain point at which you will see adverse handling ex. after 1.25 drop or after 1. drop
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM
JCarney521

sorry I might have misled in the question. I don't want to have the car on the ground scraping everywhere I go because roads in North Jersey aren't exactly flat. I just want to have that right height adjustable to put it wherever. The car is my daily so I just wanted to get coils so I can sit on 19's without a huge gap. I've heard good things about stance and I've been leaning towards that option. I just want the car to handle a little stiffer a little less roll. I was just looking for opinions or other comparable coils like stance or bc or whether stance would be a good choice?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I have Eibach coilovers and they ride nice.. and my car is semi slammed.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crsracing19
i said when everything is in spec but im asking is there a certain point at which you will see adverse handling ex. after 1.25 drop or after 1. drop
there is no magic figure, everything is relative
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Z_flip

I had these before: ProS coilovers they were pretty nice from tanabe. Handling was good... and it was DD-able. Plus I got it for cheap under 900!!

Last edited by Z_flip; 06-21-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Simple-Z

i'm in the same boat as OP looking for coilover that be able to slam the car. i expect for stiffer ride, a little bouncy but too much or harsh.

i'm looking to get stance gr+ oem but i heard a lot of people complaint that they're make noise in the rear plus they don't go as low as true coilover in the rear.

Bc racing is good from what i heard from other people but if you're looking to slam the car this is not for you because they don't go low enought on the rear. well, but you can order shorter springs in the rears for $100 more i think.

i got my eyes on Function & Form right now but i have yet to see some feedback from people that run them on their car.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Truly "slamming" a Z, whatever that means to you, and having it be "not too harsh" do not coexist - and these cars handle absolutely horrendously when they are made to look that way. For some it is just about the look, for others, they want performance only, and for most of us, we want both. You must trade one for the other, or get more realistic expectations.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
JCarney521

I ended up going with stance gr+ true type coilovers. Expecting to see them on friday or monday. The only thing I'm worried about is being too low because I'm still on stock 17's. Any insight?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Slamming the rear also limits its suspension travel, which we don't have much to begin with IMO.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll chime in here instead of starting a new thread.

I have a 2006 Z with OEM struts and Hotchkis lowering springs. The ride quality feels OEM (to the best of my recollection), but the drop is weird. I have maybe 0.75-1.00" gap between the tire and the wheel well in the rear, and 1.25-1.5" gap in the front. It's enough to make it look like the front end is sitting higher than the rear, and of course I look at it and obsess on it every day, so I want to do something to change it. Also, ride quality seems weird....almost like the rear is way, way softer than the front, causing a lot of squat under acceleration, as well as "boat-like" undulations side to side when accelerating through a turn with any kind of imperfections in the road surface. I guess I would describe it as an "underdamped" oscillation.

The car has 46000 miles and I don't want to put any lower springs on the OEM shocks so I'm looking at doing an aftermarket coilover system. My goal for ride quality is to be a little stiffer than OEM and reduce body roll / side to side oscillation going through turns. My goal for aesthetics is to have the top of the tire flush with the top of the wheel well front and rear. Not interested in tucking the tires up into the wheel wells. (If anything, maybe the fronts would tuck just a bit).

Main question: are there any OEM-type (rear) aftermarket coilover systems that will lower the car to the level I want to achieve, while providing the dampening adjustability I want to achieve?

I already spoke to a vendor regarding the Stance GR+ OEM-type rear setup and he said I can't get them as low as I mentioned above in the rear. Just wondering what else is out there based on your collective experience.

Quick Reply: Coilover Decision