Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Odd noise from coilover

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
MDHRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not raise both sides when changing the oil? or if it's to low drive the car onto blocks and raise it from the center then put jack stands on each side.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tsar
The strange thing is that I don't have any oil like that in my wheel well but I still have the really bad knocking sound. Is it possible for it to be blown without the oil leaking out? The noise is pretty bad and I don't see any other possible sources of where it could be coming from other than the shock. Would it be best to put on the stock suspension until I can figure out what the hell the sound is? Also does anybody know if Stance sells individual coilovers?
just remove the coilover and inspect it...cycle it and you will see..........hit me up if you want hand with that..

-J
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 AM
tsar

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
just remove the coilover and inspect it...cycle it and you will see..........hit me up if you want hand with that..

-J
So, basically remove the coilover, check for obvious leaks/damage, take the spring off and try compressing it with my body? Do this for the other rear that seems to be fine to see if there is any difference? Seems logical, don't know why I didn't think of it I'll update this on Saturday when I have some time to do this. Hopefully Stance gets back to me soon because I'd like to find out if it's possible to buy individual coilovers from them.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
VQ35deMax

Stance will probably sell you a shock and you will use your existing parts unless the coilover is covered by warranty. If it is then they will rebuild the unit.

When a coilover blows, the seal on top where the piston enters the body tears. When the shock rod enters the body, the fluid inside gets pushed out and gets all over everything.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
ROM350Z

just out of curiousity, how low were you OP?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
jasabeast

Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

I was about to chime in b4 reading that you blew it. I had someone install my TPs last week and the car was up on jackstands for a while. Since then I've noticed a large clunking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. My HKS IIIs are barely a year old so i didn't think there would be a serious issue. My install guy says they just need to resettle and the noise should go away.
Hope you get yours fixed!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
I was about to chime in b4 reading that you blew it. I had someone install my TPs last week and the car was up on jackstands for a while. Since then I've noticed a large clunking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. My HKS IIIs are barely a year old so i didn't think there would be a serious issue. My install guy says they just need to resettle and the noise should go away.
Hope you get yours fixed!
Whats up Clay...

Stance emailed me today and asked for proof that i purchased them and they would ship a replacement... so i emailed them the invoice a few hours ago.. they have been nothing but help so far.. pretty cool guys that work over at Stance
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM
tribal_visionz

^They just got there June freight in. You're in luck
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by tribal_visionz
^They just got there June freight in. You're in luck
awesome
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM
WYZIWYG

OMG! This gawdamn clunking makes me seriously hate driving my car! Is there a quick fix to make your coilovers "settle"??????
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 AM
MDHRZ

Who is your install guy?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Who is your install guy?
Driven1's little brother over at Fresh Designs.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 AM
MDHRZ

The last time I had the clunking noise was on my RSX. The nut on the top of the coilover was loose for some reason. I tightened it up to the recommended torque specs and the noise went away. Not sure if that's the issue in this case .
Attached Thumbnails Odd noise from coilover-hks-80140_5.jpg  

Last edited by MDHRZ; 06-25-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
The last time I had the clunking noise was on my RSX. The nut on the top of the coilover was loose for some reason. I tightened it up to the recommended torque specs and the noise went away. Not sure if that's the issue in this case .
OK, tell me your opinion. My car was up on jackstands for say an hour and 1/2. Wheels off the ground and supported at four different spots. This was done about two weeks ago and the clunking noise just started.
I'm going to take it back because it sounds like something's loose up in the front section.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 AM
jasabeast

if its the front pop the hood and take the strut bar off and try turning the top collar bolt like MDHRZ said..
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
MDHRZ

I don't think the car being on jack stands has anything to do with it. It was probably semi-tightened at one point and it finally came loose. It does sound exactly like the problem I was having with a previous car though. I installed the coilovers by myself and the noise didn't happen until a few months later. This was after the car was on jack stands multiple times. I guess normal driving conditions finally loosened it up. If that is what the problem is, then you will have to take the strut bar off to tighten it on the Z though. If you have a torque wrench handy it should be an easy fix.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 06-25-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
WYZIWYG

^ Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring it by and I'll go over all the upper bolts. When I first saw your post in the mid A I thought now that's weird I've never heard of something like that happening, your springs are settled after a week or so from the first install, they don't unsettle.....

chances are I'll find a few things missing.

=)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Bring it by and I'll go over all the upper bolts. When I first saw your post in the mid A I thought now that's weird I've never heard of something like that happening, your springs are settled after a week or so from the first install, they don't unsettle.....

chances are I'll find a few things missing.

=)
Nah, you're cool. Chris said to bring it to the shop Monday and he's gonna torque the $hit [his words] out of the entire suspension. I emailed HKS USA and they agreed that it needs to resettle but there's definitely something loose up front. Chris said it may have happened when it was lowered back down. But seeing as how you never touched any suspension parts I still don't know how it happened.

Quick Reply: Odd noise from coilover