Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

2003 OEM suspension, the facts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
scenehouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 OEM suspension, the facts?

Hey guys,

I keep reading different things about the 2003 suspension setup being different from later years.

I own a 2003 European Track and would like to know the facts.

As I understand my front swaybar is less stiff than the 2004.5?

What is the deal with the shocks and springs? I've read conflicting info on them here on the board. Some say they are less stiff and others say stiffer than 2004.5..

Personally I love my 2003 suspension although I would like a little less bodyroll in sharp corners and maybe drop my rear half an inch to get my wheel spaces the same at the front and rear.

Maybe I will find a 2004.5 swaybar and do the springmountmod...

Also in the swaybar and coilover FAQ they compare the numbers to stock suspension but to which year stock suspension?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't answer to what was installed on Euro spec Z33s. In the US there was a spring rate change in mid-2005 MY that went to 5.7kg/mm front springs and 7.6kg/mm rear springs. I don't think there were any anti-roll bar changes over the years on the 350Z (except for the Nismo model). OEM shock valving may have varied over the years but Nissan doesn't change the parts numbers when they make those on-going adjustments.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scenehouser
Hey guys,

I keep reading different things about the 2003 suspension setup being different from later years.

I own a 2003 European Track and would like to know the facts.

As I understand my front swaybar is less stiff than the 2004.5?

What is the deal with the shocks and springs? I've read conflicting info on them here on the board. Some say they are less stiff and others say stiffer than 2004.5..

Also in the swaybar and coilover FAQ they compare the numbers to stock suspension but to which year stock suspension?
First thing, can you post the shock part numbers stamped into the steel case sides? If the shocks have adheasive labels with the shock part numbers, let me know this and give me the part numbers on the labels. This will give us a clue weather or not your european 03 has the same suspension as a USDM 03.

The only thing that I have seen that can be seen a "conflicting info" is when early reports surfaced saying that the 04.5+ revision included a stiffer front sway bar. I did not believe this to be true, it took me several posts and threads to get to the bottom of WHY this was being said. When you weigh a 03 front sway bar against a 04.5+ front sway bar and the latter weighs more with the exact same outside diameter, it has thicker walls. Since the person who did this, was and still is rather deep into autocross setup I have every reason to believe that this person can math accurately that the revised front sway bar is 17% stiffer then the unrevised 03 front bar. This person being Carter Thompson, who went on to have a custom run of 35mm solid sway bars made (Stranos/Addco).

The other changes.

*Front shocks:
Less compression damping, especially in the 1ips to 3 ips range. Less rebound, same overall change as compression damping.

*Rear shocks:
Exact same compression damping profile between revised and unrevised. Rebound however was reduced, about 45% from 1ips to 10ips.

Front springs:
No change

Rear springs:
27% increae in spring rate, 342lbs to 427lbs

Front dustshield/bumpstop
No change

Rear shock dustshield/bumpstop
Smooth sides on the outside, addition of foam insert into bumpstop assembly

Front swaybar
17% increase in stiffness

Rear swaybar
?? understood to be the same, but I haven't measured or weighed a 04.5+ rear bar.

*I have the PVP/CVP shock dyno files on the rear shocks, but I cannot find the 04.5+ front shock dyno files, going off memory vs what I see on the 03 front dyno files.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-03-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scenehouser

Personally I love my 2003 suspension although I would like a little less bodyroll in sharp corners and maybe drop my rear half an inch to get my wheel spaces the same at the front and rear.

Maybe I will find a 2004.5 swaybar and do the springmountmod...
IMO, the 03 setup is over dampned. Koni make it very clear that their receipe for making the car faster was LESS compression damping and the ablity to dial in your desired level of rebound. That does not mean that the unrevised setup was terrible, just read this Road and Track aritcle and look at the Z's lap times vs the others. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...d-the-goliaths

I've been on the 03 suspension and Koni's, I liked the Koni's better that much I'll say.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 AM
scenehouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome thnx