Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Would you trust these brakes??? - Phat Boy Big Brake Kits

Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
rzua5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Is there a Baby Phat version for smaller cars?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Sarges24

Wow what an interesting read...

makes me consider Alliance if I ever do upgrade though. Those BBKs lOOk sharp, seem to be solid, some happy customers, and sounds like Customer Service is excellent. awesome deal for those who can't save, don't have or want credit but want to make installments to own a set. Big Ups to Alliance on trying to work w/ people to get them into their hands...

The price isn't half bad considering and it's nice to have the F/R combo. Even @ $36xx.oo that's ridiculous for 4 rotors, calipers, pads & some SS lines. Which is where my general problem w/ BBKs is to begin with. I do understand there's cost of materials, manufacturing, shipping, import taxes, possibly storage fees, employees salaries, assets towards R&D and obviously a need to make profit & costs in operating the business. It just seems that just like Electronics, Furniture and so many other products on the market there's a 100% markup on these. I know Capitalism at it's finest. Then again I did just drop quite a penny on the 19" Volk SLs. Brakes are like windows in a home, you have to have them so it's not like it's adding value to your car. Then again nothing you invest in for your car is adding value to it...

To sum this up I personally think BBK's are just way overpriced to begin with. Honestly I just feel you should be able to get some quality BBK for $1500-2k reasonably. I'd love to upgrade and BBK on my Z but for nearly 4k? I bought my Honda 400ex brand new last year for 4k. That's an entire QUAD. My Winter car, a 99 Sebring w/ 90k is worth about the cost of the Alliance BBK. I'd like to see a company with a quality product come out and offer a sound BBK for a more consumer friendly price, Like 2k or less... I know how stupid my point probably sounds, but fact of the matter is just like most other things these are way overpriced. While there's quite a few upgrades to show and go I want to put into my Z the price of BBK's really placed them outside the list. That's just way too much money to be spending on rotors, pads, calipers and lines. I'll roll stock & do the Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads for $500. Maybe when I get back on track I'll reconsider them but there's more important things to add to my Z atm and I need to get on course w/ payments and pay it off w/in 2 years like I planned.

as for the OPs question of trusting them. tough to say. I'd probably just search for a set of used Brembos other BBK, save more & spend my money on an established companies BBK, or just wait until I found/heard more trustworthy news on the BBKs in question. While brakes are brakes they are a very important aspect of cars. They can prevent you from crashing and save your life. Not only that but your car as well. A faulty brake could very easily hurt you, kill you, wreck your car, or total your car. I'd rather stick w/ the proven Nissan calipers/pads even if they aren't BBK than invest in something or some brand I know nothing about. my 2 Polish cents.

Last edited by Sarges24; 10-08-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm tempted.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBK is worth every penny. Would have gone there sooner (and potentially w alliance and mike specifically) had i known how my car felt post facto...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Did anyone ever pick a set up?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 AM
codkill3r808

LOL, pretty surprised at how so many people are sticking up for Mike based solely on service. Great that he answers his phone at all hours of the day... Is it worth the price difference? Well that depends, do you by brakes to have brakes or do you buy brakes to make a new friend. lol... And I know idiots are going to continue to chime in with the... "oh but if you account for this fee and this tax, blah blah blah" - read Phatboi's posts before continuing.

And as for R&D... Phatboi seems to have made that argument seem like a non-factor. How can the high price account for R&D on Mike's end when he seems less connected to the process than PHatboi? OH WAIT, thats right... The R&D mark up helps to pay for kits to be developed for other cars (as mike said: 370, gtr, etc) because this one that he's been peddling to you fanboy suckers has been developed by some random factory in Taiwan.

And I'm sorry, but how does Mike's experience with the Z qualify his price over the guy selling the exact same thing for less? I honestly wouldn't give a crap if Phatboi said the Z had 3 doors, your still getting the same brake kit in the mail... isn't that the bottom line? Or is Mike going to jump out of the box and install the kit for me too... if that's the case then yes, his experience would be worth something. In most cases I'd figure you would take it to a shop that knows what they're doing... in which case Mike's superior experience with the car wouldn't mean anything because you already have a professional doing the install.

NOTHING against MIKE, "his" product or his business... It is a business and like others have already said. It just seems that despite the posts that have come up, there still seems to be an astonishing amount of stupidity on the part of Z owners who are taking their butt raping with a smile. If I were going to mark up prices this much on the exact same product (oh wait, not exact same there's some letters on one of them), I'd answer all your calls and hang on your every need... Because after all, thats why you're paying soo much more. On the bright side, with a following like this Mike will never go out of business.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM
350zhtx

Default Phat Boy Big Brake Kits?

anyone heard about this brake kits any good? www.pbbrakes.com
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
mattleegee

looks good on paper
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are a manufacturer for a few of the lower priced names, sometimes with only the name being changed:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...lready-do.html

A few years ago everyone was falling over themselves to buy Alliance brakes, that thread pretty much exposed the brand
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd rather stick to the oem brembos or the akebonos. they're some manufacturer from taiwan..
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Same as Megan
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like garbage.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

There probably is no quality control .... That's why there so cheap... I mold pistons ... For ford Nissan Harley .... Ect ... And we scrap mad amounts Of pistons for slight defects .... Thats why good brands like arc .. Ect cost sooooo much ....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes with the name of Phat Boy should be a clue.
Junk.
Never go cheap on brakes.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got the Alliance version. At the time Mike from Blackline was always on the forum and willing to help out. About halfway through the install we found out that I was missing multiple bolts...3 weeks later I had the correct ones. I haven't had any issues with the brakes (knock on wood), although the most spirited driving I've done has been on the 3 trips up the Dragon and a couple North GA mountain runs.

Hindsight, I wish I would have gone with Stoptech or any other reputable brake company, because Mike is long gone and it's probably going to be interesting trying to get new pads...but you live and you learn. Go with Brembo, Akebono, Stoptech, or something along those lines.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow people still say the word phat? i'd pass on those btw
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

PB brakes?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
DunZcon

how about when you buy brakes for what they are supposed to be used for...braking... save your money and get a stoptech, AP racing or brembo kit. Braking is not something that you should go cheap on. Going from 140mph to 75 to avoid a ticket... serious stopping power is needed. not that anyone would ever do that. Now if you get them for looks thats your probelm, and I feel bad for you honestly
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Jade@Ksportusa

hit up Jordan Innovations they sell our BBKs, track proven also!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/...le-their-bike/

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5593...novations.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you trust these brakes??? - Phat Boy Big Brake Kits