Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension phase. And some Hooah Pics for ya.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 AM
fat3oy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension phase. And some Hooah Pics for ya.

Alright, been ghost from the forums cuz i am in afghanistan. But I just ordered my next wave, and would like some comments. I basically wanted to get the suspension out of the way b4 I started on FI. I'm still lacking a good BBK, but damn it hurts to drop 5k on just one thing...

Heres my current setup:

06' Rev Up
Borla TD
Enkei RPF1s (powder coated glossy black)
Bridgestone RE11s
Stillen HFCs
KW V2 Coilovers

Heres what i just ordered from through my shop:

Hotchkis sport sway bar set
SPC Front Caster/Camber adj. kit
Draco custom designed Endlinks
Whiteline Plus Rear Subframe Bushings
SPC Rear Camber Arm Kit
Whiteline Ft lower inner control arm bush.
Whiteline R lower outer cont. arm bush.
Whiteline R lower inner cont. arm bush.
Whiteline R upper inner cont. arm bush.
Whiteline R upper ft. trailing arm bush.
Whiteline R lower ft. trailing arm bush.
Whiteline R upper r. cont. arm bush.
Whiteline R lower r. cont. arm bush.
GT Spec fender braces
Quaife ATB Differential
GT Spec Ft. & R. lower tie braces
GT Spec R. lateral arm brace
GT Spec Ft. strut tower brace
GT Spec 4 point mid chassis brace

Long list. I think i just got carpel tunnel. Anywayz, whats the verdict?
Next phase is FI. I am dead set on a SC just to be different, but still may go with a TC who knows. If you guys make some good arguments other than the BOV sounds neat, then i might consider TC otherwise.

Cheers Guys,

I will be back in the good ol' USA on Sept 5th. And the Z should be in soon after.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 AM
robbycolli

ANy reason for the different colored clips (magazines)?

Last edited by robbycolli; 08-08-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 AM
fat3oy

Black is green tip, tan is soft/tracer mix.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Future setup sounds great! Your Z is going to be stiff!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In responding to your request for comment, this is what I see. All that money spent on bushings and braces and yet your still left with progressive rear springs that will have a greater implact then all of those parts combined. I do not believe for a minute that those braces actually leverage force to make a impact close to what is claimed. I would have spent that money killing those progressive rear springs. Which I would definately still do given the direction your entire shopping cart suggest's your headed.

KW coilovers Variant 2 twintube construction, uses Oem upper shocks mounts, rebound adjustable (does add some compression damping at higher settings, but rebound control also becomes excessive)
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Side note: Covering a wide range, these three products offer up german engineering. I have shock dyno's of the Variant 2, they look pretty good. All three version's use a progressive rear spring with a wide rate spread, which will compromise aggressive street and track driving, though this can be fixed.

Ironically Stance offers their oem style rear spring seats as a seperate part, your only after the seats the kit comes with. You'd then want to purchase Eibach ESS, or Hypercoil 5.5" OD springs your rate choice (I recommend between 450lbs-500lbs)

Or with a drill and a dremel you can fab your own simple seat adaptors out of 6061 3/8" thick sheet aluminum that utilize the Kw adjustable seats and allow you to run the 5.5" springs. Cheaper then Stance parts, but changing height isn't as easy. (I made these for the Bilstein coilovers I had, so I know it's works fine).

Last edited by Gsedan35; 08-08-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
fat3oy

Wow bro, u shot way over my head on that one. Im really going to have to let my mech read that.

Now if i understand you correctly i basically need to replace the progressive springs that come with the Variant 2s. As well as the spring seats?

I'm sending this to my mech as we speak.

Thanks dude.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I'd go with another front upper control arm besides the SPC. You will also find out that some of the rear whiteline bushings you ordered will not work on aftermarket rear camber arms. Lastly anyone who has changed out the rear subframe bushings will tell you that you are doing yourself a disservice by not installing the SPL rear diff bushings at the same time.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

you must be some kind of sf guy or private contractor, gl with your set-up.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Personally I'd go with another front upper control arm besides the SPC. You will also find out that some of the rear whiteline bushings you ordered will not work on aftermarket rear camber arms. Lastly anyone who has changed out the rear subframe bushings will tell you that you are doing yourself a disservice by not installing the SPL rear diff bushings at the same time.
Beat me to it!! I completely agree!

the spc is crap for front upper control arms. If you want Front UCA's that also adjust caster then get SPL's........if caster isnt an option, get kinetics for their ease of track side adjustment.

and yes, loose teh whiteline diff bushings as the whiteline diff bushings are ONLY the ear bushings and do not come with the "diff cover stud to subframe" bushing.

for diff - go spl solid diff bushings or go home.

read this post:
https://my350z.com/forum/8293651-post24.html

Also,
your forgetting the pain in the azz compression arm bushing:

read about it here:
https://my350z.com/forum/8293650-post23.html

I must also ask? what for? I mean? what is your goal for the car? Track car, time attack, drift, road????
no point if its not for any track............

Would also like to say - Thank you for your service..stay safe.......

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
NewJoyZ

Grizzly Adams DID have a beard! lol

Sounds cool, but i dont really have any advice.

Thanks for the service and come home safe.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good feedback in this thread!

Thanks for your service mang.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM
fat3oy

Thanks for the advice fellas. Jason, plan is a track car.

I am having my shop/sponsor read this post so that they can explain it to me. I am lost in the sauce when it comes to suspension so i have to rely on expert opinion.

But from what i see it only looks like minor changes to my setup, nothing major.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
bencurtis

marsoc always gets the fun gear...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Aegwyn11

Not an expert by any means, but seems like I read that some of those Whiteline bushings are evil. What I mean is that some of the stock rubber bushings they replace need to have the ability to move in a rotational manner...they should only be replaced with either more rubber bushings or spherical bearings. The Whiteline bushings are too stiff and will result in things getting bent when they can't articulate correctly. Based on that, I'd be very careful and deliberate as to which Whiteline bushings you actually put in.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Aegwyn11
Not an expert by any means, but seems like I read that some of those Whiteline bushings are evil. What I mean is that some of the stock rubber bushings they replace need to have the ability to move in a rotational manner...they should only be replaced with either more rubber bushings or spherical bearings. The Whiteline bushings are too stiff and will result in things getting bent when they can't articulate correctly. Based on that, I'd be very careful and deliberate as to which Whiteline bushings you actually put in.
Please don't spread misinformation. I'm fully aware that you read that theory when it was posed in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...mber-arms.html

If you read further down in that same exact thread you will see that Kuah, that same person who posed that same theory also later recanted it and posed another theory behind the bent arms which were not attributed to the Whiteline bushings. Keep in mind these are only theories Kuah is posing. This entire scenario of bent arms on a Whiteline Plus bushing kit equipped car so far has only been seen on Gabe's car. Our shop has sold a ton of the complete rear polyurethane bushing kits and we have not had a single complaint thus far.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Aegwyn11

Whoops, sorry about that. I thought I had kept up with that post, but I guess not well enough.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Kwame

No biggie, time will tell if Kuah's theories are indeed correct and if they are I will be the first person to admit it.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fat3oy
Thanks for the advice fellas. Jason, plan is a track car.

I am having my shop/sponsor read this post so that they can explain it to me. I am lost in the sauce when it comes to suspension so i have to rely on expert opinion.

But from what i see it only looks like minor changes to my setup, nothing major.
Your going to be limited by what they are willing to pay for and or convince you is right. Those are definately not two things that add up to good setup. Free or reduced cost things are nice, but you will never be all that you can be chained to that. Hopefully I'm wrong and they acutally know about setup, but I can all but guarantee you they will find an excuse to not rid you of the progressive springs in the rear. They do not belong on a tracked car, period. The Variant 2 is a good setup, just needs a linear spring given what your planning on doing. And again, the front's are fine, no coil bind and the rate spread isn't enough to effect the things we don't want effected.

Truechoice is another choice that has adjustable rear spring seats for the car that you can purchase seperately, they can also get the Eibach ESS springs to. Kw should also be able to provide a linear setup in the rear, the Clubsport coilover for the car uses a linear spring in the rear (track oriented, of course it does). If they provide the new rear springs, just be carefull about what spring rate they provide, again I would go with between 450-500 lbs. {edit) SPL's mid-link setup is another way to do the linear spring conversion. http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid27.html

If your shop has the software to use pvp or cvp files and know's how to read them, let me know. They won't send you out with the Kw's set close to full stiff if they do.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 08-10-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You had two of the best suspension gurus, including that ^ guy, on this site give you great advice (+ Kwame, all around guru) so u good to go, follow them blindly if u have to.

Just wanted to chime in to say thanks for the service brotha.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 AM
fat3oy

Smile

Thanks a lot guys! Had my shop look over what you guys said, and for the most part agreed. I missed a few things on the list that was purchased, such as seats. So that was already there.

As far as the progressive springs go, my guys def agreed with you, but said until i get significant track time under my belt, i wouldnt be able to tell the difference. But nonetheless it will be added to the list.

Also, i appreciate all the thanks you guys gave. I dint post the pics for that, just thought they were neat lol. But it means a lot.

One thing tho, MARSOC? NO!!!!!! WE get much better kit.

Thanks again guys. Will post pics during install, and a review of the setup once i get on the track.

Quick Reply: Suspension phase. And some Hooah Pics for ya.