Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

FINALLY! a camber/toe mod that works!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:07 AM
BLOBYU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops sorry. Forged. That's what makes your idea work?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 AM
BLOBYU

....and really really really safe?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:11 AM
BLOBYU

Default BOARD MEMBERS' NOTICE - DO NOT DO THIS

Please.... if this is the only thing you all listen to.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR SUSPENSION
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 AM
N74DV

Talking

yeah dont do it. he's right
Old 01-09-2004, 06:24 AM
BLOBYU

.....and if you do. Add yourself to the DARWIN AWARDS. You'll rank up there with the guy that decided to use 4 WEATHER balloons, a lawn chair, battery powered CB radio, BB gun and 6-Pack of Old Milwaukee beer to float around the neighborhood. Don't forget to wear a wife beater, cut-off shorts and FLIP FLOPS. Then float around the neighborhood because you always wanted to be a pilot. You were in the Air Force but ended up as a TECH. You worked on airplanes for 4 solid years.....

AND THOUGHT YOU COULD FLOAT AROUND THE FRIGGIN' NEIGHBORHOOD IN A LAWN CHAIR - DRINKING A SIX PACK, LISTENING TO THE CHATTER ON THE CB RADIO. THE PLAN TO 'DESCEND' WAS TO SHOOT A HOLE IN EACH OF THE 6-FOOT IN DIAMETER WEATHER BALLOONS AND YOU WOULD SOFTLY DESCEND. You see, the BB Gun would only make small holes, therefor allowing him to descend nice and slow. He definitely had this all worked out.

People... the guy tethered his 'chair - aircraft' I guess he called it, to his CJ-7 Jeep to test his theory. The chair did ascend nicely. It should have. It was tied on all 4 corners to 6-foot in diameter helium filled weather balloons. So, he climbed on-board with all of his supplies: BB GUN, CB Radio, and 6-Pack of Old Milwaukee.............. and he cut the tether.

He quickly (in a matter of a minute or so) shot up to 10,000 feet and ended up in the approach lanes for LAX Air Port. IN A LAWN CHAIR..... AT 10,000 FEET. It was probably COLD wearing his cut-offs, wife beater and flip flops. ALL THAT AIR FORCE TECH WORK PAID OFF!

A friggin' FAA helicopter from LAX had to force it down by flying above it. Using the downforce from the blades to bring the freshly annointed flying craft down to the ground. I wish I could have been there for the ribbon cutting ceremony before he launched.

His plan was working while he was testing it. The chair rose nicely.

You're testing your suspension.

Think man. Think.

Last edited by BLOBYU; 01-09-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:36 AM
N74DV

can we keep this on topic please?

I'm not advocating tying a weather balloon to your lower control arm..... sounds like you may have misunderstood me.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:45 AM
BLOBYU

Default You can't assume things like this...

Originally posted by N74DV
can we keep this on topic please?

I'm not advocating tying a weather balloon to your lower control arm..... sounds like you may have misunderstood me.
The story is very apropos to what you are doing. You're not having any problems yet is the same as tethering the lawn chair to the Jeep. The worrisome thing is that people will duplicate your test and get hurt....

You've built a (or few) kit planes and assume that you're now versed and knowledgable (more so than engineering firms who do this while providing salaries to their employees.... which means they are doing things correctly) in the realm of STRUCTURAL PHYSICS. Much the same as the guy who worked at the Air Force level on High-Performance Jets for 4-years straight. He was always surrounded by planes, engineers, other techs and the people who flew them. He considered himself knowledgeable in the realm of lift/drag theory and flight. He almost killed himself. Now, imagine if he had published a little booklet and sold it in the backs of teenage magazines and comic books. Think really hard. "Hey kids ... how to float around the neighborhood with simple army surplus supplies. You too can fly!!"

See.... if you kill yourself, we won't know about it. It's hard (as far as I know it) to post things when you're DEAD. All we know is that your alignment is..... wow.... back in spec and someone finally found a solution that really works.....it's cheap and it only required a dremmel tool, stainless steel hardware and a couple of pop-rivets. In today's Wal-Mart society of people trying to get everything for almost free or on-sale and be adventurous by perhaps performing the job themselves... guys love to work on cars, it sounds like the seemingly perfect solution....and it's friggin' cheap!

That's what the problem is. You really don't know what you've done and are basing the success of your solution on the fact that you are now in spec (alignment wise) and haven't lost your suspension, car, or 'God Forbid'....life or killed anyone else.

...............that's what scares me about these boards.

Last edited by BLOBYU; 01-09-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by BLOBYU

The beauty of pre-engineered is that they HAVE ALREADY DONE ALL OF THE ENGINEERING...
Interesting that your launching a personel attack against a method and your proposed solution did not work. You have done nothing to overcome the facts that caused him to do his mod in the first place. And I don't think he's the only one to have discovered this.

"Contrary to what most believe traction rods do not really adjust toe. Their attachement point is right inline with the angle of inclination. Lengthening/shortening of the traction rod results in rear caster adjustment only."

Originally posted by tbcz
Just like to add a few things to think about...

I think it's important when posting to think about whether your post is directed at someone else's opinion or point, or directed at the person themself. I know it's not a clearcut line where one ends and the other begins, but I think that at least thinking about it will generally lead you towards making your point in a manner that won't be considered derogatory.

Also, if you feel the need to vent at someone in particular, why not PM them? I'm not saying that you can say anything you want there, or advocating flaming PMs to anyone you disagree with. But as nizl pointed out, it would be unusual for any two members in here to stay mad at each other for long, and these things usually blow over pretty quick. Why not have it blow over through a few PMs, as opposed to the forum, where it's much more likely to garner attention from the mods and/or **** off other members.

One more thing about PMs...I think unless you really don't want to deal with them, why not leave them turned on? I totally understand protecting your privacy by hiding your email, but you can always turn your PM back off if you receive any messages you don't need or care to hear. The only reason I bring this up is because on the few occasions I've had to edit a post, I always look to see if I can contact the member first. I'd much rather talk about any potential problems first, and then let the poster make any changes they agree are advised. Or, perhaps they can elaborate to me why they said what they said and convince me that there's no need for action.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Todd@ProDyno

were gonna close this thread boys. Be nice, start a new thread if you will...minus the bickering and flaming