Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cobb tuning springs question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM
nissanZdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobb tuning springs question?

Ok, from what ive read the cobb tuning springs are linear. But i cant find the proof. Are people saying they're linear because they dont have the close and bigger coil spaceing?

The cobb springs have the same coil spacing from top to bottom. Does that automatically garauntee that they are linear??

I'm looking for linear springs with close to 1" drop, so the cobb springs are perfect for me. But if they are progressive then i'm gonna go with the tanabe gf210 springs.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 AM
idrive_MD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they're linear because they have a single linear spring rate. the visual aspects of them is just icing on the cake in terms of proof.

they're great springs, you should enjoy them!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 AM
nissanZdriver

Thanks for the fast reply. Ill be ordering them within the next few days.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

IMO they have great spring rates too. Slightly stiffer than the revised 04.5 springs, vs Hotchkis that is based off the 03 suspension.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck finding them. Im pretty sure I bought the last set from Cobb. Maybe a vendor will have a set laying around.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM
nissanZdriver

I just ordered a set from www.jdmexotics.com. They were $165 + $20 shipping.. I cant wait to get them.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanZdriver
Ok, from what ive read the cobb tuning springs are linear. But i cant find the proof. Are people saying they're linear because they dont have the close and bigger coil spaceing?

The cobb springs have the same coil spacing from top to bottom. Does that automatically garauntee that they are linear??

I'm looking for linear springs with close to 1" drop, so the cobb springs are perfect for me. But if they are progressive then i'm gonna go with the tanabe gf210 springs.

Thanks
You do realize that Tanabe GF210 is a progressive spring, right?

Cobb springs for the Z are linear. But, their can be such a thing as too stiff. Vs the oem rates, that's a lot more spring to ask the oem shocks to control correctly especially in the rear.

Cobb Tuning 350Z Linear springs .75"/.9"
Spring rates 436/535 (as shown here http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...new-parts.html )

2004.5 oem 350Z
2005+ oem G35 coupe with 19" factory wheels
Spring rates 314/427

Only thing I'll say it that Ray at Tokico says that D-specs should not be used with spring rates above 450lbs (John @Betamotorsports does feel that they can cover the rates however).
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ talking about 04.5+ oem shocks, 03/04 oem shocks are without question not a good idea.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:42 AM
nissanZdriver

Yeah I know the gf210 are progressive. I said if the cobb springs end up being progressive, then i'd just get the gf210.

I dont know about those spring rates you posted. Cobb tunings website says there springs are approx 15% stiffer then stock and are direct replacements for the factory springs.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3488

So if they are approx 15% stiffer, that would make them 361F/481R. I'm sure the oem shocks can handle that rate. If not, no big deal I'll just replace the shocks. There website says the springs are " unnecessarily harsh or bouncy", if they were 436/535 they'd be harsh and bouncy as hell on stock shocks.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
0jiggy0

They ride well. Firmer then stock but not harsh. Enjoy.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the rates were quite high . You bought them already and the only option is to try them out and find out yourself. User opinions help but not always. Some live in areas where the roads are super bad. Either way $200 is no big deal for a guy that can afford a Z. Lol
Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM
nissanZdriver

Originally Posted by beezee
I thought I read somewhere that the rates were quite high . You bought them already and the only option is to try them out and find out yourself. User opinions help but not always. Some live in areas where the roads are super bad. Either way $200 is no big deal for a guy that can afford a Z. Lol
Yeah even if the rates are a bit high, I think i'm just gonna stick with them. I've been researching lowering springs for 3 weeks know. For a while I was set on the gf210 springs because I wanted a even 1" drop. But at the same time I hated that I was going to a progresive spring, because i absolutely love the handleing and ride of the oem springs. So I waited and found these springs.

I know everyones opinion is different but like I said I love the ride with the oem springs. It would be great if some big name spring company came out with spring with oem rates and lower the car 1".

I dont know, maybe you guys do, but why did tanabe and eibach come out with the gf210 and prokit with progresive springs? Its a huge down grade I think. I remember reading someones review on the gf210s and they said on the highway it felt like the car was "floating".
Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM
0jiggy0

Because 90 percent of people don't take their cars to the limit they just want "moar low"
Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM
beezee

Well, Tokico has springs to match their D-Specs shocks. They are linear with 375F and
375R. Best to match them with the shocks which are upgrades form stock shocks.
I read that in fact Tokico made the stock shocks but I cannot confirm that. Either way I have heard some good stuff about the Cobb springs and did not know they were still available so I guess you are lucky you found a set. Hopefully you would love them
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I know everyones opinion is different but like I said I love the ride with the oem springs. It would be great if some big name spring company came out with spring with oem rates and lower the car 1".
Cause that would be stupid. You have limited suspension travel from the factory ( you do know you own a low sitting sports car) with roughly 3 inches of up travel, then remove 33% of the up travel keeping the stock spring rate. You will smash the bump stops all the time. The rates need to be increased to maintane a ride not bouncing off the bump stop every bump in the road.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you spend too much time overthinking it, best to be sure you actually get them. As mentioned, they were discontinued a long, long time ago. Given that site has more than a few discontinued items still listed as for sale, I wouldn't necessarily count on receiving them.

As for the highly subjective 'feel' of a spring, it has as much to do with your tire choice as your spring choice. The wrong tire can wreck the ride quality of even a mild spring (or stock spring for that matter)

For the whole linear vs progressive debate, there are plusses and minusses to each. The trick is matching everything together...no single part makes or breaks a suspension setup

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-27-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 AM
nissanZdriver

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Before you spend too much time overthinking it, best to be sure you actually get them. As mentioned, they were discontinued a long, long time ago. Given that site has more than a few discontinued items still listed as for sale, I wouldn't necessarily count on receiving them.

As for the highly subjective 'feel' of a spring, it has as much to do with your tire choice as your spring choice. The wrong tire can wreck the ride quality of even a mild spring (or stock spring for that matter)

For the whole linear vs progressive debate, there are plusses and minusses to each. The trick is matching everything together...no single part makes or breaks a suspension setup
I got my fingers crossed. If they dont have it, theres a few other places that say they have them in stock but there selling them for around $250.

http://www.google.com/#q=350z+cobb+t...7204dc07534ddc
Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 AM
beezee

I bet at least one of those vendors in the google link will have them.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM
nissanZdriver

jdmexotics cancelled my order lol. I emailed the other places in the google link to see if they have them in stock, but like you guys said I dont think i'm gonna find them.. This sucks!!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 PM
beezee

jdmexotics cancelled my order lol. I emailed the other places in the google link to see if they have them in stock, but like you guys said I dont think i'm gonna find them.. This sucks!!
Well, at least that gives you the choice to look at something else.

Quick Reply: Cobb tuning springs question?