Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Flex w/ EDFC vs BC Racing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
draco1020x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex w/ EDFC vs BC Racing coilovers

Does anyone know how the Tein Flex coilovers compare to the BC Racing (aside from price), as far as ride quality, drop height, and functionality? I had my mind set on BC's until i came across a good deal on the Flexes w/ EDFC...and now im simply stuck. I can get the flexes used, roughly around the price of BC's new, but i dont want to be brainwashed into Teins name and high prices, while sacrificing overal ride quality, and functionality which is the most important to me. Inputs anyone?

Mind you...this is a daily driver as well. Im just looking to be steered in a direction i will be pleased with, and it be great to hear from those who have had both, or had or heard any experience with the tein flexs.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with Tein's if I had to choose between them. That is my personal call tho...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I would go BC's, never heard anything good about Tien Coilover other than they are JDM YO. Probably made in the same place as BC's in China
Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
draco1020x

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would go BC's, never heard anything good about Tien Coilover other than they are JDM YO. Probably made in the same place as BC's in China
You've heard people complain about them or jus no feedback at all? If so, wut kinda complaints?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
*Boose*

Don't take some people's opinion as they have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the pure racecar Z's in Japan racing are using Tein coilovers believe it or not. The majority use the EDFC kits. I have not personally used Tein coilovers but if the majority of spec Z racers use them I'd say that they are good.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
draco1020x

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Don't take some people's opinion as they have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the pure racecar Z's in Japan racing are using Tein coilovers believe it or not. The majority use the EDFC kits. I have not personally used Tein coilovers but if the majority of spec Z racers use them I'd say that they are good.
The only diff is tho my car isnt build for track, therefore comfort still is a factor for me. Of course i know its going to be nearly impossible to drop and maintain OEM feel, but im looking for something i can drop and be comfortable with while street driving
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Some good reading about shocks in here http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets19.html
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My track car came with Tein monos with EDFC and I really disliked it. I questioned if the "1" setting was any different than the "16" setting, let alone minor adjustments in between. I also think the springs were too stiff, but it was JDM-tyte.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *Boose*
There's a difference between race tracks in Japan and race tracks here in the USA. The tracks here in the US are a lot bumpier. Compression valving that works on a glass smooth track in Japan is far too stiff for our bumpy race tracks. That was painfully evident when the JCGT/Super GT cars came over and ran at California Speedway in December 2004. There were wholesale changes to shock valving on many of the cars just to keep them from skipping off the track. This was part of the reason the organizers changed the track configuration and had the cars come off the full Roval and enter the infield in Turn 1.

Unfortunately, all the off the shelf Tein shocks I've seen tested or tested myself have too much compression damping. They can be revalved.

Also, shock valving and springing for a car that generates most of its grip through aero downforce is very different from shock valving and springing for a car that generates most of its grip mechanically. Ride height and pitch control are critical for aero downforce cars, so much so that mechanical grip is intentionally scarified.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 01-11-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 AM
rubabealf

Ive had teins on my Z for 2 years now and ride quality is 8 of 10, the damping for the springs can use a little re-valving from Talking to Victor Moore Pro FD driver and some other Pro Am/Pro drifters and Road Course Racers they all say the same the springs are always a little on the stiff side for the Valving.

when it comes to reliability and durability hands down 10 of 10. I rolled my car at Pacific Raceways and when they slammed it back onto its wheels I though the shocks were done but Nope they were just fine!! still about 8 months after my roll they are working just fine.

ON the different dampening settings 0-16, 0 being the stiff, driving it on the street it is hard to notice, but when you are doing 60+ MPH sideways pushing the car to its limits the difference between 0 and 16 is worlds apart!!!

don't know much about BC's cant comment on thoes...

Last edited by rubabealf; 01-20-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd spend some time searching through older threads, there are countless reviews of each at this point in the cars lifecycle.

I personally find the EDFC gimmicky, but that's me. I've owned MANY coilovers on my Z, and have never found myself constantly changing dampening, or even wanting to - I found settings that suited the rest of my setup (tires, roads, etc), and leave it there.

Obviously the biggest difference is a used set, you have no idea what you're getting unless they are obviously new in the box. With a new set, you get the warranty, and the benefits of a dealer network. Other than that, your call

As for Tein dampers being made in the same place as BC, they aren't.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

Yes your are correct! Look at Megan Racing Rear spring set up,... Exact same as BC's just different colors.

Are they made in the same factory? who knows but I can easy just say that they are. based on that and then every one who reads this will think that they are.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 PM
d3vil

I have Flex with Edfc as well I have to say it's stiff as hell for city driving
But it's great for track and handling, amazing !
And yes, settings 0-16 is so hard to notice on street
I can only feel the difference when I'm going fast through a corner
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a s14 240sx with Tein Flex and EDFC. They are probably one of the most comfortable coilovers made by Tein.

I haven't driven or Z with one though. I believe the Flex series is a street coilover. It is damped and sprung mainly with street cruising in mind compared to other more serious coilovers. They MAY be able to handle some light duty autocrossing if you have sway bars and other chassis stiffening. The Tein Flex, in my opinion, is not for serious circuit or track racing or drifting. If you are not into serious driving, Flex will do.

Originally Posted by rubabealf
Are they made in the same factory? who knows but I can easy just say that they are. based on that and then every one who reads this will think that they are.

For the record, A'PEXi's N1 ExV coilovers are made in the same Taiwanese factory as, and has identical designs to, the Megan Racing and BC Racing coilovers.

You can argue that BC Racing and Megan coilovers have some sort of quality assurance because they once shared the same model platform as A'PEXi's coilover sets.

If you want something serious, but cannot afford JDM price, but don't mind having your hardware made in Taiwan, the Republic of China, go for the semi-JDM Megan or BC coilovers.

Here's a direct comparison between the A'PEXi N1 ExV coilovers and the Megan units:

Just FYI.

Last edited by tyau; 02-04-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by scotts300
My track car came with Tein monos with EDFC and I really disliked it. I questioned if the "1" setting was any different than the "16" setting, let alone minor adjustments in between. I also think the springs were too stiff, but it was JDM-tyte.
Dude, they were used. I have monoflex holding my car together and they're frikin awesome. Granted, I've never ridden on any other suspension for this car but, regardless, I can definitely feel the difference between the damping settlings: 1-16. The EDFC is cool and people say, 'Wow' but I hardly use it and I keep on the same settling all the time. I agree with you to the aspect of the springs being too stiff. I would definitely dislike the ride quality if I had to daily my Z.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
TheSyn3rgist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotts300
Yes. I've got the Flex setup and the adjustment is almost worthless.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd spend some time searching through older threads, there are countless reviews of each at this point in the cars lifecycle.

I personally find the EDFC gimmicky, but that's me. I've owned MANY coilovers on my Z, and have never found myself constantly changing dampening, or even wanting to - I found settings that suited the rest of my setup (tires, roads, etc), and leave it there.

Obviously the biggest difference is a used set, you have no idea what you're getting unless they are obviously new in the box. With a new set, you get the warranty, and the benefits of a dealer network. Other than that, your call

Yes. After reading a bunch of documents, I found that the dampening on level 8 should match the spring rates. After setting it, I've left it there for the past 6 months. My EDFC sits in a box in the garage and I hook it up if I need it (read: never).

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
There's a difference between race tracks in Japan and race tracks here in the USA. The tracks here in the US are a lot bumpier. Compression valving that works on a glass smooth track in Japan is far too stiff for our bumpy race tracks. That was painfully evident when the JCGT/Super GT cars came over and ran at California Speedway in December 2004. There were wholesale changes to shock valving on many of the cars just to keep them from skipping off the track. This was part of the reason the organizers changed the track configuration and had the cars come off the full Roval and enter the infield in Turn 1.

Unfortunately, all the off the shelf Tein shocks I've seen tested or tested myself have too much compression damping. They can be revalved.

Also, shock valving and springing for a car that generates most of its grip through aero downforce is very different from shock valving and springing for a car that generates most of its grip mechanically. Ride height and pitch control are critical for aero downforce cars, so much so that mechanical grip is intentionally scarified.
Yes. On perfect pavement, either the Flex or Mono Flex would probably be awesome. On the segmented concrete roads where I live, the coilovers are almost unbearable. I have to say the lack of body roll through corners is awesome though!

All that being said, if you want to buy a used Flex setup, I'll sell you mine