lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone that could get you a great deal on a gtr bbk
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
how about akebono BBK. The same ones the 370z uses. I actually plan on getting this BBK. $2039 for F&R and it says nissan on the calipers. Heres the link:

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...64.131.146.237
and they are heavy as hell, limited pad choices, and nothing particularly performance oriented about them whatsoever - but they are big
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ exactly! those dammn akebono's are the worst band wagon Z owners have been jump'n on lately.......good lord...

boy oh boy this thread is full of fail...........

A Big brake kit is a functional performance addition to a car........not a pair of earings you girlies.....

OP why do you want a BBK??? answer that first...

example, questions that need to be answered are the brake requirements and anticipated uses of the kit.....

I wouldn't get the same bbk if i were a drifter, autoX'r, etc over the kit I would choose as a road racer....etc...etc.., weight, pad selection, rotor selection, top loading, etc..etc. would be questions needing answering...

I got ALL 4 oem track model caliper brembo's from the junk yard for $475, purchased rotors separately and already had ss lines on my car....total for me was under a grand easy...

-J
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM
0350Zz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qqqqball
RDZ over in danbury, ct has a set of akebono's on the shop car,350, if you wanted to see what they look like
pretty cool, seeing as i live in connecticut
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
qqqqball

Originally Posted by 0350Zz
pretty cool, seeing as i live in connecticut
address is 12 south street, danbury, ct rdz300.com
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
RandyK1

I just got Wilwood 13" front and rears (6/4 pot) with pads and SS lines from Gruppe-S for under $2700 shipped. I dont trust used brakes.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
nyZ_nick

Hey i was just suggesting a cheap alternative in purchasing a brand new BBK. I have no idea what the weight is on those brakes.... you wouldnt consider them performance functionality, regardless of weight?

p.s. how much do they weigh??

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ exactly! those dammn akebono's are the worst band wagon Z owners have been jump'n on lately.......good lord...

boy oh boy this thread is full of fail...........

A Big brake kit is a functional performance addition to a car........not a pair of earings you girlies.....

OP why do you want a BBK??? answer that first...

example, questions that need to be answered are the brake requirements and anticipated uses of the kit.....

I wouldn't get the same bbk if i were a drifter, autoX'r, etc over the kit I would choose as a road racer....etc...etc.., weight, pad selection, rotor selection, top loading, etc..etc. would be questions needing answering...

I got ALL 4 oem track model caliper brembo's from the junk yard for $475, purchased rotors separately and already had ss lines on my car....total for me was under a grand easy...

-J
Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey i was just suggesting a cheap alternative in purchasing a brand new BBK. I have no idea what the weight is on those brakes.... you wouldnt consider them performance functionality, regardless of weight?

depending on the size of the rotors maybe 50+ lbs? a good cheap alternative would be a set of race pads.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
TheDangerZone

cheap and bbk usually don't go in the same sentence
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

oem brembo units, have em on my G, they have never disappointed me, pad selection is great, 2 piece rotors are readily available. Throw in ducts (z1 started selling nismo CF ducts recently that are sweeeeet btw) and you should be pretty good.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM
0350Zz

Originally Posted by Row2K
oem brembo units, have em on my G, they have never disappointed me, pad selection is great, 2 piece rotors are readily available. Throw in ducts (z1 started selling nismo CF ducts recently that are sweeeeet btw) and you should be pretty good.
thats an idea. after all the "fail" in the beginning, this thread ended up being pretty useful for peoples opinions and what not on brakes.

If akebonos are a little heavier than brembos, and they get the job done well, i dont really see where you can go wrong for $5000 less. i mean some people are on a budget and those people most likely arent doing hardcore racing/tracking so i dont see where the extra weights really an issue. Its like someone with brembos having a nice big lunch before going out on a nice little drive hah im kidding, but i think i may get the oem brembos through a friend who works for a nissan dealership...might be the way to go if i can get the calipers for around a grand brand spankin new
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Aust350z

^ a little heavier? The rotors are almost 10lbs heavier of rotating mass which IMO hurts acceleration dramatically - particularly if I put them on my 03.

I wanted to be on the band wagon but have opted to put the cash aside and save towards a Stoptech kit.

Lighter wheels, lighter tyres will help offset the slightly higher weight of the BBK compared to my non-brembo brakes.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

TCE Brakes, he sells Wilwood. For under $3k you can get a full set (front and rear) with 2 piece rotors, lines , etc etc everything you need. Lightweight, quality, performance and looks !! Everything, you could ask for.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

weight is an inherent part of performance

now you take the weight, and add in the other aspects of that kit I mentioned, and you end up with form over function in its purest sense. Meanwhile, for a bit more, you can get into something like a Stoptech kit, which unlike other piecemeal kits, are engineered around the Z, TONS and TONS of pad options, inexpensive replacement hardware down the road (new disks, hats, etc are very affordable)...and you get the bonus of them looking good, if that's your thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
gixxert

this thread makes me feel that much better about my stoptech bbk! now can some one call my mom and tell her why i spent so much on the kit(im 31 yes i still have to answer to my mom shes my accountant)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM
0350Zz

Originally Posted by gixxert
this thread makes me feel that much better about my stoptech bbk! now can some one call my mom and tell her why i spent so much on the kit(im 31 yes i still have to answer to my mom shes my accountant)
not to be rude...but i hope nobody on here has her number...
Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
gixxert

Originally Posted by 0350Zz
not to be rude...but i hope nobody on here has her number...
actually 3 people do (my cousins on the forum) but enough thread jacking.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 PM
0350Zz

Originally Posted by gixxert
actually 3 people do (my cousins on the forum) but enough thread jacking.
im not allowed to thread-jack my own thread?

edit: back on topic, how is the compatibility of the OEM brembos? that came on the earlier track models if anyone knows? like in comparison to the wilwoods someone mentioned earlier that had tons of pad choices? and if im correct, the oem brembos are slightly smaller than the aftermarket brembos? if that made sense...

Last edited by 0350Zz; 01-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the oem brembos are excellent

Very good caliper with lots of pad options
Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 AM
0350Zz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the oem brembos are excellent

Very good caliper with lots of pad options
Thanks Z1 haha. im gettin alot of criticism for making my car stop before it can actually "go". id rather have it able to stop if it cant go, than have it be able to go and not stop ;] but i see their point, and for what im currently using the car for stock brake setup is fine but im gonna need the upgrade eventually and my brakes now are shot so i figured id upgrade now...

Quick Reply: Cheap Big Brake Upgrade