Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear Bushing questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
KhanMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just making sure thank you for the reply and help.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
coldmack

Turns out I need the same exact job done on my car, but I was told my left rear is also cracked, so I thought I should do the whole car while I am at it. Question I have it can I get the full Nismo kit being sold or did they leave out on parts that I may need for the front or rear bushings?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by coldmack
Turns out I need the same exact job done on my car, but I was told my left rear is also cracked, so I thought I should do the whole car while I am at it. Question I have it can I get the full Nismo kit being sold or did they leave out on parts that I may need for the front or rear bushings?
Energy Suspension now makes bushings for our cars, much better pricing than Whiteline.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Energy Suspension now makes bushings for our cars, much better pricing than Whiteline.
Link to the Z/G model? I don't see it listed on their site? Nor do I see upper control arm and outer control arm bushings for the front on Z1motorsports site.

Last edited by KhanMan; 06-11-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Except energy doesn't have nearly the coverage that whiteline does - the whiteline offerings are much more complete for the rear of the car, all depends what you're goals are and what you're trying to replace

Whitelines are also a far more rigid design as they use casings like the factory ones do. The Energy ones don't and thus will not last nearly as long term and will be noisier

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=5334

Whitelines range is even more complete than the NISMO kit as well

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
KhanMan

What about for the front, is whiteline more complete there also? The only thing that Energy bushing set is missing, that I need, is the compression rod bushing. I know SPL makes it for the front, but if Energy included that in their kit, I'd order one right away.

Last edited by KhanMan; 06-12-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Energy makes a compression rod bushing, Whiteline does not. Whiteline makes front upper a arm bushings, Energy does not. From what I have been told by various people is the compression rod is not the place for a urethane bushing as it can create binding due to how it moves. In that case, the OEM rubber or the SPL would be the way to go.

The Energy kit is detailed on our site:

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=5334
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM
bullionz

Originally Posted by KhanMan
I was showed the SPL metal diff bushings to a cousin of mines, and he said it most likely will give you more noise and/or vibration vs stock since it is metal. It sounds logical, but is that really the case?

For the compression rod bushings I noticed on Z1 only carries the SPL, does whiteline or another brand make compression rod bushings? My cousin also said based on experience on his last ride(AWD TT) that I should stay away from urethane if I want durability. Is that also fact or fiction? If it is fiction are there any hard rubber bushings brands for the Z/G? Nismo would be the best but as mentioned here it seems like they don't all the bushings I need. Thank you all for the very prompt help.
Don't get the outer shock mount bushing on the front control arms from SPL if you're doing the inner, and compression rod bushings SPL. Your front control arms will clunk over every single bump and crack in the road. You need some stability at the shock mount not additional rotational flex. I'm in the process of replacing the SPL shock mount bushing because of this, , and fortunately I can do all this work myself for the super great price of free labor.

Get the SPL compression rod bushing though, You want zero lateral flex at this point to increase handling performance.

Urethane lasts a lot longer than rubber, as rubber needs to be "worked" to release the oils that preserve it. When it sits still it begins to dry out, and starts to rot/crack. Car tires are a perfect illustration of this phenomena.

If you want lower maintenance over solid bushings, go whiteline everywhere (you will have to periodically lubricate the solids). Nismo is still rubber just a higher durometer (harder) rubber.

Last edited by bullionz; 06-13-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
KhanMan

Well most of my front bushings are messed up and need replacing according to my dealer. So, just to be clear again I should go whiteline for my fronts and SPL for the compression rods then? And the whiteline full kit includes inner and outer Bushings for the lower and upper control arm(which is what I need), because I only see it listed for lower. Thanks you all.

Edit: I just noticed I can get like the stock compression rod bushings for like $50 from a local nissan dealer and that is pretty tempting. Would that work with whiteline kit? Because, all I am really looking for is replacement of the broken parts at a fair cost, as budget is a little tight. Does Nismo by any chance make compression rod bushing for our cars?

Last edited by KhanMan; 06-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

nismo makes no such bushings

rubber ones will eventually fail again..forcing you to do the job over again, pull the arm, get a new alignment, etc. I replaced mine a couple years ago, back when they only offered full arms, not just bushings. 2 years and less than 10k miles later, they needed replacing again. Unfortunately SPL weren't offered the first time around, but glad they are now
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
KhanMan

Well I am at 64k after 8 years, so I guess if I can get another 8 or 64k miles out of the replacement stock control arm bushings why not, or is this the wrong line of thinking when it comes to parts like this?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
KhanMan

Is it actually possible to the stock get control arm(all of them upper, lower, inner and outer), because I called a few local dealerships and they told me Nissan/Infiniti doesn't offer the bushings separately. Is that really the case, if not where can I just purchase the stock bushings?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by KhanMan
Is it actually possible to the stock get control arm(all of them upper, lower, inner and outer), because I called a few local dealerships and they told me Nissan/Infiniti doesn't offer the bushings separately. Is that really the case, if not where can I just purchase the stock bushings?
Compression arm bushing is available, a very short search will get you the part number. The other bushings are only available with the arm, thats why aftermarket bushings are the way to go.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM
KhanMan

I already knew about the compression bushing as I saw that listed on Mynismo, but my pops is adamant about saying he knows people who can get the control arm bushings for the Z/G, and I just wanted to triple check if that was possible. Thank you.