Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear Bushing questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011 | 10:02 PM
KhanMan

Default General bushing questions?

So, my dealing is trying to get $2k out of me to replace the whole lower arm and compression rod set when they are telling me that only the bushings are cracked and leaking(this one doesn't really sound right to me). I know I have seen Nimso hard rubber and Whiteline urethane bushings going for pretty fair prices. I don't really want to make this a debate between rubber and urethane. I just want to know what bushing parts I need to get, or should I just replace all the bushings on the front(was thinking about doing that a few years back and this makes it a good reason to upgrade the front bushings)? Is there anything else I need to get to fix this issue? Thanks.

EDIT: I spoke to them again and was told the rear sub-frame bushing also need to be replaced. Not sure who makes bushing for that. Thanks.

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-04-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-03-2011 | 11:32 PM
tyau

In the mean time, change out all the fronts. They usually fail according to the members here.

The stock rubber rear bushings consist of very thin rubber, sleeved with a metal tube. They have enough compliance to maintain good ride quality, but do not have much cushion to dull responsiveness. In other words, changing out the rear bushings would provide only very marginal gain, at the expense of harsher ride quality, intensive labor, and cost. Rear rubber bushings rarely fail either.

Unlike fronts, which consist of four bushings that always fail, the rear bushings do not need replacement. I would save the time and just upgrade the rear bar endlinks to spherical bearings to sharpen up the rear.

If you want to replace parts that typically fail, I would say endlinks. Stock endlinks wear out very quickly. They may not have much slack, but they loosen up really quickly, minimizing their effectiveness. Mine had NO play in them, but they were so loose after some mileage that they became very irresponsive. It was like having no sway bars. Changing out old endlinks for even cheap $20 replacement ones from Rockauto would sharpen your car noticeably. I speak from experience in this regard.

Last edited by tyau; 02-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 01:03 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Little lost here, so your asking about front bushings or rear bushings? The front bushing is simple for the LCA , whiteline, nismo or SPL solid . Then the front compression arms is either SPL or OEM ( the NISMO one is just the newer beefed up OEM) Then if your lowered i would get the SPL for the compression arm , if not Oem should be fine for another 60K miles.
Old 02-04-2011 | 04:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Little lost here, so your asking about front bushings or rear bushings? The front bushing is simple for the LCA , whiteline, nismo or SPL solid . Then the front compression arms is either SPL or OEM ( the NISMO one is just the newer beefed up OEM) Then if your lowered i would get the SPL for the compression arm , if not Oem should be fine for another 60K miles.
There is no such thing as a NISMO compression arm bushing. To clarify, for the front lower control arm, NISMO only makes the inner, not the outer. SPL makes both (solid) as does Whiteline
Old 02-04-2011 | 12:44 PM
KhanMan

I thought I was clear. I guess let me try it again my front bushings according to the dealer are worn out and leaking(which doesn't sound right to me). They said in particular that I would need to replace the whole lower arm and compression rods on my fronts since they don't know of anyone making replacement bushings. Now the question I have is, which specific bushings(name of the bushings?) do these parts use so I can order it from Z1 or some place? I was also thinking since these need to be replaced may as well replace all the bushing in the front while I am at it, no?

I dunno where endlinks came from in this thread, but the dealership did those like 4 years ago when I was still under warranty. Or should I be replacing those too along with the bushings?

Thank you.

Edit: I spoke to my dealer over the phone, the rear needs the sub-frame bushing replaced while the everything mentioned was for front(I guess the guys I spoke to last I was there was confused about it or something). So, what bushing parts should I be for all of these?

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-04-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: more corrections
Old 02-04-2011 | 02:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by KhanMan
I thought I was clear. I guess let me try it again my front bushings according to the dealer are worn out and leaking(which doesn't sound right to me). They said in particular that I would need to replace the whole lower arm and compression rods on my fronts since they don't know of anyone making replacement bushings. Now the question I have is, which specific bushings(name of the bushings?) do these parts use so I can order it from Z1 or some place? I was also thinking since these need to be replaced may as well replace all the bushing in the front while I am at it, no?

I dunno where endlinks came from in this thread, but the dealership did those like 4 years ago when I was still under warranty. Or should I be replacing those too along with the bushings?

Thank you.

Edit: I spoke to my dealer over the phone, the rear needs the sub-frame bushing replaced while the everything mentioned was for front(I guess the guys I spoke to last I was there was confused about it or something). So, what bushing parts should I be for all of these?
Well we already mentioned the front bushings your need, the rear is only one way SPL or the Ebay solid diff mounting bushings.
Old 02-04-2011 | 03:17 PM
KhanMan

I was on SPL site and I don't see a bushing for the sub-frame. Are you saying that the differential bushing is the same as the sub-frame bushing? Would this be it? http://www.amazon.com/SPL-differenti.../dp/B003KQP49S Or would this be the correct part?
http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=4547

So, if I want something that is better than stock that will last long/take a beating, should I be looking at urethane, hard rubber, or the monoball metal? Thank you.

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-04-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 04:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I was on SPL site and I don't see a bushing for the sub-frame. Are you saying that the differential bushing is the same as the sub-frame bushing? Would this be it? http://www.amazon.com/SPL-differenti.../dp/B003KQP49S Or would this be the correct part?
http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=4547

So, if I want something that is better than stock that will last long/take a beating, should I be looking at urethane, hard rubber, or the monoball metal? Thank you.
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=3971 is yoru diff bushings.
Old 02-04-2011 | 06:10 PM
tyau

The rear subframe bushes rarely go bad. People replace them for improved performance. SPL doesn't make subframe bushings YET, but Sikky sells them.

I suspect your dealer is talking about the rear mount bush.
Old 02-04-2011 | 06:54 PM
KhanMan

So, I am not clear should I be getting diff bushing if my sub-frame bushing needs replacement?

Just want to be fully clear if I get the full set of front bushing from say SPL(for ex) will that include all the parts required? Which now leads to my second question what advantages and disadvantages does the SPL metal have vs urethane bushings of Whiteline?
Thank you.

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 07:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

rear diff bushing goes IN the subframe
Old 02-04-2011 | 07:18 PM
tyau

So, I am not clear should I be getting diff bushing if my sub-frame bushing needs replacement?
Make sure you know which part needs replacement. Dealers are known to always incorrectly label parts.

It is unlikely that your subframe bushing(s) need replacement. It is probably your differential rear bushing that needs replacement.

Because the differential rear bushing is located inside the subframe, the dealer calls it the subframe bushing. They are known to incorrectly name parts.

Just want to be fully clear if I get the full set of front bushing from say SPL(for ex) will that include all the parts required? Which now leads to my second question what advantages and disadvantages does the SPL metal have vs urethane bushings of Whiteline?
Thank you.

For the front, you need
1. Compression Rod Bushings
2. Lower Control Arm Inner Bushings
3. Lower Control Arm Outer Bushings
4. Upper Control Arm Bushings

The four items are sold in pair, each set sold separately. They don't have a complete "set" for the front. These are for the front only. No rear included.
Old 02-05-2011 | 12:52 AM
KhanMan

double post please delete.

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-05-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2011 | 12:59 AM
KhanMan

I was showed the SPL metal diff bushings to a cousin of mines, and he said it most likely will give you more noise and/or vibration vs stock since it is metal. It sounds logical, but is that really the case?

For the compression rod bushings I noticed on Z1 only carries the SPL, does whiteline or another brand make compression rod bushings? My cousin also said based on experience on his last ride(AWD TT) that I should stay away from urethane if I want durability. Is that also fact or fiction? If it is fiction are there any hard rubber bushings brands for the Z/G? Nismo would be the best but as mentioned here it seems like they don't all the bushings I need. Thank you all for the very prompt help.
Old 02-05-2011 | 12:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I was showed the SPL metal diff bushings to a cousin of mines, and he said it most likely will give you more noise and/or vibration vs stock since it is metal. It sounds logical, but is that really the case?

For the compression rod bushings I noticed on Z1 only carries the SPL, does whiteline or another brand make compression rod bushings? My cousin also said based on experience on his last ride(AWD TT) that I should stay away from urethane if I want durability. Is that also fact or fiction? If it is fiction are there any hard rubber bushings brands for the Z/G? Nismo would be the best but as mentioned here it seems like they don't all the bushings I need. Thank you all for the very prompt help.
Slightly more vibe and noise

Read post #3
Old 02-05-2011 | 01:50 PM
tyau

Find a piece of rubber and a piece of metal.

Try smacking your head with both one at a time.

See which one hurts more
Old 02-05-2011 | 03:51 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Slightly more vibe and noise

Read post #3
Sounds bearable. I did a quick search but it doesn't seem like whiteline or Nismo make diff bushings for the Z/G, or am I looking at the wrong sites?

As for the OEM front compression arms, where can I order them from? I called four different local dealerships(two Nissan and two Infiniti) and none of them carry/sell that bushing part separately? Too bad Nismo doesn't make all of this, could have made things more convenient and cheaper.

BTW how long is the estimated life of the whiteline urethane bushings?
Old 02-05-2011 | 04:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Sounds bearable. I did a quick search but it doesn't seem like whiteline or Nismo make diff bushings for the Z/G, or am I looking at the wrong sites?

As for the OEM front compression arms, where can I order them from? I called four different local dealerships(two Nissan and two Infiniti) and none of them carry/sell that bushing part separately? Too bad Nismo doesn't make all of this, could have made things more convenient and cheaper.

BTW how long is the estimated life of the whiteline urethane bushings?
Call Scott at Fontana Nissan, he should be able to get you the OEM (54570-Z33V35 ) or the SPL bushings for the compression arm. Then for your Lower control arm (LCA) you can get the Whiteline or SPL bushings, I suggest Whiteline for a street driven car. If you want OEM rubber (crap) you would need to buy a whole new LCA.

Rear diff bushings, http://www.nissanraceshop.com/produc...ver-splsdbsz33 are the ones from SPL. THE ONLY other ones available are also solid aluminum and can be bought off ebay. If you want rubber ones, you would need to buy a whole new subframe.

Urethane bushing life, i've got a set on my old 88 Ford Ranger, they have been on the truck for over 20 years when the lift kit was installed. Still going strong.

Last edited by terrasmak; 02-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2011 | 07:32 PM
KhanMan

Thank you. If I like to have weekend safe fun on local roads would you still say Whiteline/urethane?

Last edited by KhanMan; 02-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2011 | 08:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Thank you. If I like to have weekend safe fun on local roads would you still say Whiteline/urethane?
That would make it a Street Driven car

Quick Reply: Rear Bushing questions?